INTRODUCE YOURSELF HERE FIRST.

Comments

• freddie3dfreddie3d Posts: 1Member
    Hi everyone,

I have come to NR for a lot of useful information over the last year and a half and thought this would be the perfect time to introduce myself. I was exposed to photography by both my parents at a young age. My dad bought me a Canon AE-1 with a kit lens. I learned how to shoot black and white and color film helping my mom shoot various events at our church. In college, I minored in photography and learned how to shoot and process black and white and color photographs. A few months after I finished school, the curriculum went to digital photography, but I'm sure the fundamentals were still the same. After college, I could not find work in my field and joined the US Army Reserves as a Combat Photographer/Combat Videographer. First class was Basic Still Photography and was very extensive; more than any class I had every had in my undergrad program. This is where I was exposed to Nikon F series cameras for the first half and then going on to digital with the Nikon D2H and the Nikon D2X. We had members from all branches in our class which was really cool. In 2005, I was deployed to Baghdad, Iraq and did extensive photograph and videography missions for a year.

Today, I shoot with a Nikon D700 with the Nikon 17-35 f/2.8 lens and I also the Nikon 50mm f/1.8 lens. I have borrowed several lenses to try out and am also looking to rent some telephoto lens for birding. I always come to NikonRumors for valuable information that helps me and I hope to help others out as well.

Fred
  • jonnyapplejonnyapple Posts: 131Moderator
    Clever eye, Sauron. Welcome, all.
    CC is welcome. DC is also welcome when I deserve it.
  • brucehighambrucehigham Posts: 7Member
    Hi all,

I'm Bruce and have been lurking for a while.  I haven't posted before now, primarily because I didn't own a Nikon....  However, I was looking to switch systems as my Canon 400d was dying a slow slow death (and I'd outgrown it), and if I was going to switch it was going to be now.  So I've given my 4 lenses to my sister-in-law as a marriage present, and have started again with a d7000.   Now I have to convince my wife that I really need to spend an extra $3000 to get more glass.  Kids don't need food do they?

I'm a ranger at a national park in Central Queensland, Australia.   Miles and miles from anywhere (300km's to the nearest shop....) but the scenery and wildlife is breathtaking.   As is the heat at the moment.
    Been photographing for 15 years or so.

Cheers
    Bruce 
  • DaddySSDaddySS Posts: 1Member

Greetings from New Jersey.  I am an IT executive in the Financial Services industry and gear head and camera geek at heart. I have been shooting since 1962 and a Kodak Instamatic, got my first SLR in 1970 - Pentax k1000.  I used a variety of film cameras over the next few years and my first Nikon was the F100 in 1998.  I had always wanted a Nikon - my freind had an F5 and I thought it was thing of beauty -  and then I moved to digital with the D70s, D200 and now D300s.

I love all forms of photography - landscape, portrait, wildlife, macro, street, sports, and travel and I am looking forward to the discussions on the forum.  I spend a good deal of time over on Nikonians and have been lurking here for a long time.

• Lv2wskiLv2wski Posts: 1Member
    Happy New Year. I have been following this forum for a couple of years. I thought that with the new forum I might take the opportunity to post. I am an enthusiast, taking mostly sports ( very low light indoors) and birds.

I want to thank all of you for providing an excellent education on most topics. I have been patiently waiting for the D400 for the last year and half. I had a D70 as my first camera. Currently, I shoot with a Sony Nex while I wait for the Nikon to come out. Don't know what I will do if it fails to appear.

Cheers!
  • MsmotoMsmoto Posts: 5,398Moderator
    Hi Lv2wski....glad you made it.  One of the unfortunate things that happens, is that some of us suggest very nice stuff to folks who really do not want to spend a fortune on gear.  

So, having made my confession... when one mentions low light, sports, birds, etc., the Nikon Paparazzi camera is the way to go....D4.

Anyway, welcome and I am happy to see you post.
    Msmoto, mod
    edited December 2012
    Robert_Y   said...

Hi All,

I am a nikon nut, I started life with a d60.  Recently I purchased a D800 and love it although I am still on the learning curve.

I hale from Cambridge in the UK.
    Post edited by Msmoto on
    Msmoto, mod
  • SauronSauron Posts: 13Member

Clever eye, Sauron. Welcome, all.

Thanks jonnyapple, I can see that you have your avatar in order too. ;-)
    Proud owner of a D80!
  • BlueRidgeBlueRidge Posts: 4Member
    Hi everyone..My name is Dave but everyone calls me BlueRidge. I am a new Nikon user.. my previous camera was a Panasonic GH1 m4/3 which still does great and is small but wasn't the best in low light (i keep it in my backpack).. I always wanted to move up to full frame and told myself this Christmas I was going to treat myself to one..  I have been researching for 6 months or so.. but recently in the last few weeks between the Nikon D600 or the Canon 6D.. I was reading EVERY review online.. watching all the youtube videos.. reading any and all forums posts on each.. checking out flickr accounts for photos from each..  I ran across this site so I lurked for a few weeks :).. I even went to local store to see how they felt in my hand but unfortunately nobody had a Canon 6d that I could try.. I did test the D600 though..  I was on the fence swaying to more towards the d600 when I saw the deals right before Christmas so I jumped on it through amazon since I had a 10% off coupon..

so I anxiously awaited its arrival the week before Christmas and all was great until I opened the first d600 box I received to find smudges and fingerprints on the d600 LCD protector.. the manual bag was ripped open.. the camera just laying on top of the bubble wrap.. and the real kicker was when I finally charged the battery and turned on the camera.. it was in another language.. I called Nikon and the guy had me test shutter actuations and found it was on 700+ already.. just my luck :(.. so I called Amazon and they quickly sent me a new one and UPS picked up the RMA one.. upon opening the NEW one.. the first thing I did was inspect the packaging.. I quickly charged the battery and to take a quick shot then checked the shutter actuations.. it said "1" phew..everything in the box looked brand new.. manual sealed.. camera sealed in bubble wrap and plastic..

so after testing it for a few days I really like the d600.. I found a deal on a like new 70-300mm VR lens so I picked that up and I am wanting to pickup a 50mm f/1.8G for inside shots of my family/pets and possibly astro photography.. My wife knew I was gonna purchase a new camera so she got me a few photography goodies for Christmas (new tripod.. rocket blower and lens pen)

well about me.. I live a few miles from the Blue Ridge Parkway below Mt. Mitchell about an hour north/east of Asheville, NC.. so I shoot mostly landscape.. sunrise/sunset.. waterfalls.. views from the parkway.. hiking etc.. this past spring/summer I had friends and family continue to ask me to share my photos so I created a fan page on facebook that I post new photos daily (weather permitting) from the Blue Ridge Parkway and/or Western North Carolina in general.. even though I have been into digital photography for 10+ years.. I am still learning especially since this is my first dSLR.. so I welcome any comments or suggestions.. I haven't had much luck weather wise during Christmas vacation to really test out the d600 but I will soon enough so most of the photos on my page are from my GH1.. 

I finally signed up here after since I received the Nikon d600. I really like how all of you contribute to the forums.. always great to find new people that have a similar hobby/profession.. I hope to make some new friends and help out if I can..

Dave aka BlueRidge
    Welcome, and it is nice to have more from North Carolina...place your location on the map if you like....
    Msmoto, mod
  • aspen2001aspen2001 Posts: 1Member
    Hello my name is Barry, but my login is aspen2001. I am an amateur Photographer and take pictures of our vacations. We are avid RV campers and visit National parks in North America. We have driven to Alaska twice since 2009 and visited 25 national parks along the way. I have a D300, 18-200 f/3.5-5.5 & 70-400 f/4.5-5.6 lenses. The D300 makes taking pictures easy and makes my pictures appear to be professional. I have taken about 15,000 to 18,000 pictures since I got my camera. I hope Nikon is working on a replacement for the D300 on a DX format, since I am ready to buy a new body for my lenses. I am also ready to upgrade my 18-200 f/3.5-5.5 to a 24-70 f/2.8 lense. We are going to Nova Scotia this spring and were hoping Nikon upgrade would be available before the start of our trip.
    Welcome to NRF.  I also travel in an RV, but my trip to Nova Scotia was on two wheels.  A lot of folks are waiting for the D400 day.  Hope it comes soon.
    Msmoto, mod
  • BlueRidgeBlueRidge Posts: 4Member
    Thanks Msmoto.. added to the map.. :)
  • FlyhighFlyhigh Posts: 2Member
    Moving thread from old forum.
    Happy New Year to you.  I'm a D3 owner and would like to replace it with a D800.  But  a very hesitant until I hear that Nikon is shipping focus and LCD problem free bodies. 
  • JJPhotosJJPhotos Posts: 47Member
    I'm a semi-pro photog (I'm a full time lawyer) living in the Central Belt of Scotland. I've been lurking on NR pretty much since it started and posted a couple of times in the old format but I don't think I did a formal intro.

I've been taking photos seriously since I was 14 when I started flying gliders and wanted to capture the experience. My main interests are now mainly street and PJ photography though I do a bit of everything really.

Kit wise, I've been through a bit but probably not much as some. Started on Pentax with the P50, then K1000, then an Olympus OM1n before going to Nikon with the F100. I've currently got a D300, D600 and D7000 with 24-70 2.8, 80-200 2.8, 50mm 1.8, Sigma 10-20, Tamron 28-75 2.8 and a few speedlights. I also use a NEX 5n and GF-1 with their kit lenses and there's a Leica M4-P with a Skopar 35 2.5 kicking about too.

In 2013 I hope to be able to undertake about 10 weddings (max) as well as one big personal project.

I look forward to learning more through the site!

Cheers
    JJN
  • shivaswrathshivaswrath Posts: 7Member
    I miss the old forum...
    w: www.neilphotos.com
    p: www.suneil.net

I shoot, therefore I am.
  • SkimMilkSkimMilk Posts: 5Member
    Happy New Year all!

Amateur from Singapore checking in! I've been lurking around for more than a year now.
    I own a D7000 and am still learning the techniques. I'm really bad at night portraits and really wish I can improve it. Too bad I don't have a model to test with! Any suggestions on any items that can replace the face of a human?

;SkimMilk  Welcome to NRF

Fast lens, high ISO, and when you want to do any portrait, chat with the subject starting with, "Excuse me, may I take your photo?"  If the answer is no...walk away.  

If yes, talk to your subject...about something they may be interested in....and shoot as you are talking.  

Night photography, and I am assuming you are talking about on the street, must be done with a large amount of respect for your subject.  And, the lighting is usually horrid, so asking them to move is sometimes helpful.

Street people always need to be given a couple dollars...you are actually interfering with their "job".
    Msmoto, mod
  • DJBee49DJBee49 Posts: 133Member
    Hello All,

I am a (mostly) retired professional photographer and teacher of photography, lighting and arts subjects and live in England. Almost new to serious 35mm/FX photography (almost all my pro. work has been on large and medium format film, 35mm having been reserved largely for family snaps) and fairly new to digital but catching up fast. I am still learning how to use my D800's full box of tricks but am having fun doing it. I just wish I had more time but have started to self-publish family albums and some personal work using Blurb which I think is superb.

One of many regrets is that I did not have a D700 or D800 when I was doing theatre work years ago - pushing Tri-X or latterly T-Max 400 up to dizzy ISOs and having to use very slow shutter speeds all the time was a different world to the shooting I have done at recent shows using D700s and D800s. It was very difficult technically on film and the results from the digital shots I have taken over the last few years are extraordinary by comparison.
  • AMusingFoolAMusingFool Posts: 5Member
    Hi all,

Happy new year.  I've been reading NR for quite a while (and commented occasionally on the blog), but didn't even realize the forums were here until seeing a post about the new ones.

Anyway, I'm a software developer in the DC area and hobbyist photographer.  I used to just use the camera for vacations, but have recently (since my kids were born) been trying to get more serious about it.  I started in film, then got an Olympus E-10 as my first digital.  But when my kids were born, and I started taking more pictures, I was ending up very dissatisfied with my pictures.  My dad had a D200, and after playing with that, I decided to go Nikon with a D90.  Then, when they were announced, I upgraded a bit to a D4.  Been very happy with that.

I'm pretty much entirely self-taught (my only formal lessons were twenty-five years ago), so this place has been helpful.

Anyway, been enjoying the site, and looking forward to chatting more with everyone.
    "Geeks of All Nations, Compile!"
    edited January 2013
    Then, when they were announced, I upgraded a bit to a D4.  
    The understatement of the year.....
    Post edited by Msmoto on
    Msmoto, mod
  • adamzadamz Posts: 842Moderator
    @amusingfool - nice jump for You from d90 to d4 :) 
  • lora12fanlora12fan Posts: 15Member
    Hi i am new to the site and am wanting to take my photography to a new level... i have purchased the new nikon v1.... ok not so new i purchased it about a year ago and definately not used it to its capabilities!!! hoping to learn alot over the next year!!!
  • PeterPeter Posts: 178Administrator
    I miss the old forum...
    Can you please be more specific - what exactly are you missing from the old forum. I still have several changes to make. My goal is to make the forum look like the blog. Also, please use the other thread for reporting forum issues: http://forum.nikonrumors.com/discussion/14/post-all-forum-problems-here#Item_159

Thanks!
    admin | nikonrumors.com
  • lora12fanlora12fan Posts: 15Member
    i am totally lost on how to post a picture to this site.... do i need to post it on flickr first and then to here.... so so confused