D850

Comments

• shubhabrata29shubhabrata29 Posts: 30Member
    Suddenly all gossips for D820 or D850 stopped. So the release rumor was a hoax ?!!!
  • spraynprayspraynpray Posts: 6,545Moderator
    Think of the D500 - that wasn't leaked (although I don't think the D820 will come anytime soon).
    Always learning.
  • donaldejosedonaldejose Posts: 3,692Member
    Wait until the summer is over before thinking the release rumor was a hoax. Predictions were for an announcement in July.
    At least something has to be announced in July right, to celebrate their centenary.
    Whether it's D820 or DF2 as FF mirror less. Has to be something remarkable.
  • paulrpaulr Posts: 1,176Member
    We may be all wrong and Maybe DJI could buy Nikon like it did Hassleblad/ Bron.
    That would make for an interesting future.
    Camera, Lens and Tripod and a few other Bits
  • kanuckkanuck Posts: 1,300Member
    edited June 2017

At least something has to be announced in July right, to celebrate their centenary.
    Whether it's D820 or DF2 as FF mirror less. Has to be something remarkable.

I think you are right for sure. They have used July a lot for new releases also and the D810 is 3 years old now. They have released new concept stuff at this time before. That fullframe mirrorless could be forthcoming or maybe a new DF body..
    Post edited by kanuck on
  • PistnbrokePistnbroke Posts: 2,444Member
    They have had 100 years to plan for this so they must have something .However some hints and teasers would have prevented some leakage to canon and sony who have a vast array of new stuff upgrades etc being talked about on the various sites. Still my $1800 D810 I just purchased new will be fine ..as tom hogan says "last camera syndrome"
  • spraynprayspraynpray Posts: 6,545Moderator
    I have my fingers crossed for those of you with bad Centenary GAS.

If the dollar would go to those dreamy days of 2$/£ I'd have a D810a in a heartbeat but you just don't see them at sensible prices.
    Always learning.
  • tc88tc88 Posts: 537Member
    My take is it may very well be outside of Nikon's control now.

My guess is that Nikon has signed up with Sony to use their next generation 60MP+ sensor that the A9R will use. Since D8** line in general has a lifespan of 4+ years, start using a 46MP sensor at this point is really late and means it will have to iterate very quickly again which Nikon doesn't have the resource for anymore.

However, for Sony, since it has already signed Nikon to a deal, it's probably not in a hurry to deliver it. It either (1) has a yield issue, (2) consider this a low priority item, (3) or just plainly wants to drag its feet to hold Nikon at its bay while attacking other camera markets such as what A9 is targeting.

So when the Sony A9R or something like that comes out is when D850 will come out. It probably will be another 3-4 months. Note also there is no unused Nikon DSLR registrations anymore. That means the camera hasn't been finalized. And registration usually happens a couple of months ahead of announcement. Nikon at this point is probably at a quagmire trying to decide what it should do.
    edited June 2017
    Spray ..two years ago my first D810 was £1404 So I dont think £1665 is too bad . Only if they bring something 64 MP + will I be pi$$ed off ,,. D 810a different kettle of fish..
    Post edited by Pistnbroke on

Spray ..two years ago my first D810 was £1404
    Yes I remember Calumet did it for a limited time and released they had got it wrong.

• PB_PMPB_PM Posts: 4,494Member

I have my fingers crossed for those of you with bad Centenary GAS.

If the dollar would go to those dreamy days of 2$/£ I'd have a D810a in a heartbeat but you just don't see them at sensible prices.

Indeed. Anyone not in the US has seen major price jumps in the past 3 years. I believe the D810 was $3499 Cdn on release, now it's on sale for $100 than that, and the regular price is $3799.

Still Nikon is basically selling the D810 at a loss here. The regular US price is about $4000 Canadian dollars. So either Nikon Canada is just sucking it up and taking smaller margins (likely) or they are selling them at a loss. I doubt they are, given the age of the camera, but it is possible.
    If I take a good photo it's not my camera's fault.
    tc88 said:

It probably will be another 3-4 months. Note also there is no unused Nikon DSLR registrations anymore. That means the camera hasn't been finalized. And registration usually happens a couple of months ahead of announcement. Nikon at this point is probably at a quagmire trying to decide what it should do.

This is the only part I'm concerned about, if Nikon is going to announce something July for the centenary, it should have been registered by now. All are saying it's coming, they are looking for marketing material etc but no camera is registered still. Either all the registered cameras are not leaked or the camera is not coming out in July. Would like to have this confirmed by the Admins. Hope the former is true :(.
    edited June 2017
    Perhaps they are going to anounce in july then deliver in Sept allowing time for registration and pre orders
    Post edited by Pistnbroke on

tc88 said:

It probably will be another 3-4 months. Note also there is no unused Nikon DSLR registrations anymore. That means the camera hasn't been finalized. And registration usually happens a couple of months ahead of announcement. Nikon at this point is probably at a quagmire trying to decide what it should do.

This is the only part I'm concerned about, if Nikon is going to announce something July for the centenary, it should have been registered by now. All are saying it's coming, they are looking for marketing material etc but no camera is registered still. Either all the registered cameras are not leaked or the camera is not coming out in July. Would like to have this confirmed by the Admins. Hope the former is true :(.
    Just because a patent has been placed doesn't mean it would be filed yet. Sometimes you won't see it come through until days before the announcement.
  • We ought to be patient and acknowledge that Nikon may need more time to push through the next barrier of image quality in a FF sensor. No doubt they are challenged buying sensors from their competitor, setting aside the purported cooperation and sharing of technology among Japanese companies. How can one not be impressed with the fl-e lenses, the 105 1.4e and now what appears to be a unique pro offering, the afs 28mm 1.4e (sample images appear excellent wide open). Only the Otus 28 and Leica 28 Summilux compete and neither are autofocus. The 28mm 1.4d is certainly eclipsed by the "e".

Nikon is on a role and is showing its expansive capabilities. Clearly they are moving to high end, optimizing recent lens characteristics. I would prefer to wait for greater perfection in an instrument than buy into next released minor incremental improvements. However, if the wait is caused by supplier issues and not R&D, i would not be unhappy using my d810 for the forseeable future.

The d810 is still stunning with most accurate color (toss up with Hasselblad).
    C'mon Nikon...just spill the beans now.....
  • ShuntoShunto Posts: 6Member
    I would like to see dual XQD cards in the new body. I just think that its the way to go..
    I dont have anything that even uses CF anymore.. except for 2 P&S.
    Time will tell.
  • rmprmp Posts: 586Member
    OK, now July or August is the expected announcement date. If the rumored specs are final values will you pre-order?
    Robert M. Poston: D4, D810, V3, 14-24 F2.8, 24-70 f2.8, 70-200 f2.8, 80-400, 105 macro.
    If this turns out to be the spec, It's a bit disappointing , especially if there is a major price increase.
    seems to me that as the birthday is middle July and the 820 is not to be announced till end of july with mild upgrade then they must have something much better for july 15th.......820 end of DSLR line ? only time will tell.
    edited July 2017
    Honestly I don't see what all the disappointment is about. So what if it doesn't have 50 bigillion MP. 42-46MP isn't that bad, and in some ways could be the sweet spot for this generation of FX sized sensors. The Canon 50+ MP sensors are nothing to write home about (poor dynamic range and noise profiles), I'd take a D800, D800E or D810 with the 36MP sensor over them any day of the week.
    Post edited by PB_PM on
    I totally agree Pb PM which is why I bought another 810 for £1600 as whatever comes out is going to be expensive ( ie no profit in using it )
    Interesting also is that the digits of 820 add up to 10 while 850 is 13 a japanese no no
  • HockeyManHockeyMan Posts: 68Member

I totally agree Pb PM which is why I bought another 810 for £1600 as whatever comes out is going to be expensive ( ie no profit in using it )
    Interesting also is that the digits of 820 add up to 10 while 850 is 13 a japanese no no

Well, Nikon also made a D4 and the number 4 is a big no no in Japanese culture because it sounds like "death". Not that it makes any difference since I have absolutely no insight into Nikon's naming conventions.

I'd be happy just to see a new iteration of the 800 series. I still want a D5, but by the time I can afford it, Nikon will most likely be on a D5s.
    D800, 14-24mm f/2.8, 50mm f/1.4G, 85mm f/1.4G, 70-200mm f/2.8G VR II, TC17E II, D300, DX 18-200mm f/3.5-5.6G. Coolpix E5400, some AI lenses from my father.
    A jap hotel has a 4 th floor but not a 13th ........