NIKON...MIRROR LESS NOW WITH FIRMWARE UPDATE

Comments

• PistnbrokePistnbroke Posts: 2,444Member
    My head requires an arca swiss plate with slots front to back so these would be no good . Not quite on topic but I did spot this with point for a clip and strap slot,

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Universal-Metal-Quick-Release-Plate-1-4-Screw-Mount-for-Arca-Swiss-DSLR-Camera/112963917980?ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT&_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649
  • spraynprayspraynpray Posts: 6,545Moderator
    Interesting find. Not sure I would trust it with my D850 and Sigma Lump though. Not without a big name attached to it.
    Always learning.
  • PistnbrokePistnbroke Posts: 2,444Member
    edited November 2018
    I usually hang my 850 with grip ,flash and 28-300 from one strap lug via a 30p fishing swivel. Have done for years ...I think it will be ok . Nothing wrong with Andoer
    Search Andoer QR 60 ,,just found one for £5.80
    Post edited by Pistnbroke on
  • DaveyJDaveyJ Posts: 1,090Member
    I have seen Z6 and Z7 reviews compared to Sony that would make me interested in probably the Z6. Using mostly the 200-500, and with spectacular still AND video results.
  • mhedgesmhedges Posts: 2,881Member

Here's a link of the Z6 with the Promedia Gear plates

https://www.flickr.com/photos/91504024@N05/albums/72157702402872561

Thanks. I'm trying to figure out if that does what I need or not. Honestly I'm not sure what I want anyway. I'm a little nervous using the tripod mount on the camera body for everything - especially my 14-24 2.8. It's already a bit front heavy even using the FTZ tripod mount.
    mhedges had a video done by guy in Florida. He said his results were better than D850 with group focusing because the Nikon Z7 has a wide area tracker that is bigger, and really worked. mhedges just got his Z6, the one I am interested in, How is that going now???
    @DaveyJ Well I haven't used it much yet but so far I like it. The feel is great im my hands, and I have bigger hands. Haven't done much to test out the AF other than single point AF, which seemed to work fine with the kit lens and with my 70-300 AF-P on FTZ.
  • WestEndFotoWestEndFoto Posts: 3,745Member
    MHedges , don’t worry about mounting your body with the 14-24 to the tripod by way of the camera body. I do it all the time and if it was an issue on a tripod, it would be an issue holding it in your hand.
    The Florida video was pretty good with the Z6. He is photographing birds in Southern Florida and says the wide selector mode was BETTER at getting some birds in flight photos and video was plain superior. That was his comparison with the Nikon D850. So this camera has a learning curve. For me anything in the 45 MP range is probably overkill. The 24-70 S lens, FTZ adapter would pretty much complete my acquisition when it is available to me and when I
    get my Tree Farm vehicle paid off. Which is April 1st.
  • Vipmediastar_JZVipmediastar_JZ Posts: 1,708Member
    I have setup my z6 with the wireless utility to connect my computer directly to the camera wifi and home wifi. Once you see it up and pair it works great. I did have a hang up after I reformatted my computer but once it got paired again no issues.

Also if you use lightroom you can set a hot folder and set to auto import that folder and its "like tethering"

Here's the link for your reference.

https://downloadcenter.nikonimglib.com/en/products/493/Z_6.html
  • SymphoticSymphotic Posts: 711Member
    I'm looking forward to the 20 mm f/1.8. I keep hitting the stop at 24 mm with the zoom. Wide angle is the raison d'être for full frame, and a compact (no adapter), high optical quality Z mount wide angle would make me very happy. I doubt I'll buy a f/.95 Noct, but I'd pre order a 20 mm f/1.8 now if I could. (14-30 f/4 next year, maybe, 14-24 f/2.8 in 2010, definitely, if I live that long!)
    Jack Roberts
    "Discovery consists in seeing what everyone else has seen and thinking what nobody else has thought"--Albert Szent-Gyorgy
    I want the 14-30. Hopefully we get it sooner rather than later.

On another subject - any Z6/7 owners change their folder numbers? For some reason it doesn't show the folder number in the main menu (unlike my D7200 or D5500). Instead it shows the folder suffix (which I don't think most people change all that much), and you have to go to the submenu to see the actual folder number. Anyone else notice this? I'm hoping they fix it. Also is it just me or is the way you save user settings a little different?
    What will the price tag be on the 14-30 1.8? Sounds like it will be a great S lens!
    edited December 2018
    Well it’s not 1.8. That would be nuts! It’s F4 like the kit lens.

I’m thinking $1200? Based on nothing other than I’m guessing it will be more expensive than the 24-70 but considerably cheaper than the 14-24 2.8 F mount lens.
    Post edited by mhedges on
    Given that I shoot my 14-24 2.8 @ 5.6 and f8 I'm considering the 14-30 f4S. I sold off my sigma lens 50 and 35 and looking into getting the 50mmS for sure and thinking about the 35mm.

I was hesitant about the 24-70f4 kit lens but its actually decent

MHedges , don’t worry about mounting your body with the 14-24 to the tripod by way of the camera body. I do it all the time and if it was an issue on a tripod, it would be an issue holding it in your hand.

Thanks.

I'll probably get this to use so I can just leave the disconnect on the body all the time, but still use the FTZ. Anyone have any experience with it? Think it will cause any problems? Or would an L bracket be better? Do L brackets allow for mounting the tripod on the side for portrait type shooting?

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07312L3J3?pf_rd_p=c2945051-950f-485c-b4df-15aac5223b10&pf_rd_r=YN34SSMFZ8XB76QDMTPB
    @mhedges No experience with that. L brackets allow for mounting vertical on a tripod. Look into the promedia gear a few posts back. You can get the Z fitted bracket or univeral L bracket. The plate you can add to it for hand straps, promedia quick release, screw quick release for harnesses. The one you posted seems like you can add to it but I didn't look much into. Ill update my flickr folder and post it withe FTZ using the universal bracket and other add ons.

@mhedges No experience with that. L brackets allow for mounting vertical on a tripod. Look into the promedia gear a few posts back. You can get the Z fitted bracket or univeral L bracket. The plate you can add to it for hand straps, promedia quick release, screw quick release for harnesses. The one you posted seems like you can add to it but I didn't look much into. Ill update my flickr folder and post it withe FTZ using the universal bracket and other add ons.

Ok thanks.

Are your Z pics still up? I couldn't find them - that link from a couple posts back didn't work.
  • NSXTypeRNSXTypeR Posts: 2,287Member
    edited December 2018
    So who else ended up getting a Z6/Z7?

Just curious about your thoughts on those cameras.
    Post edited by NSXTypeR on
    Nikon D7000/ Nikon D40/ Nikon FM2/ 18-135 AF-S/ 35mm 1.8 AF-S/ 105mm Macro AF-S/ 50mm 1.2 AI-S
  • rmprmp Posts: 586Member
    I got the Z7. I have the D850. I ordered a Z6. After playing with the Z7 for about a month, I cancelled my order for a Z6. I believe the Z7 gives me all the low-light (Hi ISO) that I need. I love the Z-24-70f4 combination. It became my most used almost immediately.
    Robert M. Poston: D4, D810, V3, 14-24 F2.8, 24-70 f2.8, 70-200 f2.8, 80-400, 105 macro.
    I've got a Z6. Generally like it quite a lot. I'm still waiting to test it on fast action - for everything else it does just fine.

Its nice that it is such a good video camera too. I'll be using it Thursday to video my kids Christmas programs. To me that's the real surprise of this system - it's video AF is just as good (or in some cases better) than Sony or Canon and I don't think anyone thought that would be the case.
  • SymphoticSymphotic Posts: 711Member
    edited December 2018
    rmp said:

I got the Z7. I have the D850. I ordered a Z6. After playing with the Z7 for about a month, I cancelled my order for a Z6. I believe the Z7 gives me all the low-light (Hi ISO) that I need. I love the Z-24-70f4 combination. It became my most used almost immediately.

That happened to me. I thought the Z7 was going to be a second "travel" body. I find myself taking it to work instead of my D850 now... I'm writing an assembly manual now, and the Z7 is taking all the photos.
    Post edited by Symphotic on
    Jack Roberts
    "Discovery consists in seeing what everyone else has seen and thinking what nobody else has thought"--Albert Szent-Gyorgy
  • SearcySearcy Posts: 801Member
    I'm very much thinking about the Z6 after watching Fro's full review of it's video ability.
    I've taken a couple videos with mine and have been very impressed.
  • SearcySearcy Posts: 801Member
    Trying to shoot video with my d7200 is what started me looking at the Sony A7riii in the first place. The d7200 took great video of a subject sitting in a chair say for an interview or something but if they moved at all.... forget it.

This time last year I was 85% sold on switching to Sony until the rumors of a Nikon mirrorless started to buzz.

Now I'm 85% sold on the Z6. I like the performance you get for that sub $2000 price range.