Nikon D850 at 9 fps battery £26.99. Charger £22

PistnbrokePistnbroke Posts: 2,443Member
edited December 2018 in D6x0/D7x0/D8x0
I have not seen this on NR forum but you can get your D850 to do 9fps for about £100 or $ 120

Grip £30
battery £20
BL5 .£7
dual charger £40
Post edited by Pistnbroke on

Comments

• PB_PMPB_PM Posts: 4,494Member
    edited December 2018
    Spend $4k for a high end camera, but cheap out on dodgy batteries and chargers that could light your house on fire. :D
    Post edited by PB_PM on
    If I take a good photo it's not my camera's fault.
  • PistnbrokePistnbroke Posts: 2,443Member
    edited December 2018
    Even cheaper I just bought this from Germany via e bay for £ 42 ..battery BL5 and charger.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_trksid=m570.l1313&_nkw=362502155995&_sacat=0

And I am even going to use my £ 30 N 24-85 VR on it

PS don't jump on this one till I have tested it as some versions don't have the right chip inside to work the battery state display and hence wont give 9 fps..if that's the case it goes back as not as advertised ie not an en el 18
    Despite assurances that it was properly chipped its not . Shows as a set of AA batteries so will be on its way back to be replaced by a real EN EL 18 for about £30 and a BF5 for £7.
    will let you know
    edited December 2018
    Spent some time trying to find a battery that will do 9fps and though many are advertised as En EL 18 they do not have the right chip.
    Avoid anything that says for D4 and does not mentionD5/ D810/850 as the D4 does not need the chipping
    The one that will give you 9fps for £26.99 ($32) is the Durapro from Amazon.
    This may be out of stock but the Mitsuru will also give 9fps as will the Wasabi
    The ones that will NOT are the Formax . VHBW.says its fully chipped on the website where its cheaper than on ebay.
    DTSE ok if D850 mentioned in the information
    I am told by a user that EXPro gives 9fps.
    The one from Subtel at £43.90 works fine but has no contact cover and is about £5 cheaper if you go direct to there site..ba$tard$. I ordered it before I saw the Durapro.
    The dual side by side charger Nikon look alike is available from Amazon for £22.49.
    DSTE DMH 26A
    Sadly I missed it and paid £39 and am still waiting.
  • Ton14Ton14 Posts: 698Member
    edited December 2018
    The last view month I start changing my chargers to USB-C. I also bought the Xtorm 15.000 power bank, so I can charge everything via USB, USB-mini and USB-C. There is a quick charge port available on it and a short micro USB cable attached. At the moment they have one with a short USB-C cable. There are more powerbanks like this available at the moment.

I don't need alle the power cables anymore, only a GOOD USB cable for charging and the quick charge is quick, with the Xtorm I can charge all my devices (phone, tablet) and batteries "on the go" at the moment.

For the Nikon EN-EL15, I bought the Patona charger on Amazon € 12,99 works fine and also found somewhere the VHBW USB travel charger for this battery.
    Post edited by Ton14 on
    User Ton changed to Ton14, Google sign in did not work anymore
    The £39 dual EN EL18 charger arrived ..Identical to the Nikon for 10x the price, even dark grey like the original .Worked great sequentially charging the two batteries . Just a pity I missed the same thing on Amazon for £22.49
  • trolleytrolley Posts: 206Member
    S'funny. I've just bought my 3rd charger for my D800. The one that came with it dies, so I bought a cheap 'real' Nikon one on Fleabay (I think). It didn't look quite the same as the original. And then it died after 12-18 months.
    I've just bought another on Fleabay but from a UK camera shop. It works - and looks like my original, but half the price.
    Still overpriced though fir what it is!
    With the new rebates & already discounted price, I guess I'll have to trade-in my D800 for a D850 - regardless of what my wife says :D
    Trolly you will find just changing to a camera without the low pass filter will increase sharpness 25% ( 800 to 810) so going 36 to 46 will give you even more.
    it's more the (hopefully) much faster AF and 7fps - to start with
    Be worth you reading some of the D850 v D500 reviews they rate the D500 at say 98% but the D850 at 85% until you put the grip on then it goes up to 98%.
    Not sure quite why .
  • GPDenGPDen Posts: 1,171Member
    Been viewing this thread for a while as I'm now seriously looking at the D850 to replace my D700 to sit above my D810. Just got prices from my local Nikon agent, who I've bought all my kit from and I literally dropped through the floor when they said it'll cost me £950 to acquire the grip etc. to achieve 9fps!!!! OMG what are Nikon thinking here, fine if you're a Pro and can just offset it against income/taxes etc., but for the serious armature/enthusiast it really is a joke. When I bought the D700 I got the PDK1 power pack (grip, batt, charger etc.) as a package which I think from memory cost £300-£350 which is more like it. No sign of something similar being offered for the D850 though according to my local agent. Now I hate the thought of sticking cheapo copy parts on a £3k camera, but from what I've read here it's looking likely that I will be very, very tempted. I don't know if Nikon ever get to see the stuff posted here but if not they should, we are their real customers and future and you know what they say, "if you don't look after your customers someone else will" (i.e. a competitor). Sorry, a bit of a rant I'm afraid but no doubt you'll pick up on my frustration!
  • spraynprayspraynpray Posts: 6,545Moderator
    Justified frustration. I will never use mine at 9fps at that silly price.
    Always learning.
    Well,
    I bit the bullet & bought a new D850. I've told the wife - and I'm still alive!!
    Got a good trade-in deal & they've let me have a 64GB G series XQD for £100.
    I think the grip will have to wait a bit though, until I can sneak it in :D
    Well you can get the D850 for £1900 but if you don't like grey that's a problem for you. Provided you get the right third party grip and most important the right battery you will have no problem. The batteries with the built in charger look great but I have not found one that works at 9 fps. stick with a supplier where you can send the battery back or enquire first of the supplier
    I was going to follow your recommendations. Unless they change :)
    The trouble here is that it doesn't feel right to have such a great camera (the D850) and not have all it's 'bells & whistles' available to you (i.e. 9 fps). Now I have rarely used the 7 fps you get on the D810 in DX crop mode, but at least it's there should I choose to and to get that you didn't need a fancy expensive battery/charger!! I use Eneloop Pro 2450 mAh rechargeable AA's in the grip and it's a shame the D850 doesn't support the same approach (more cash for Nikon I guess not to). The problem for me is I really like using a grip especially with longer glass (e.g. 200-500 f/5.6E) as it just balances much better, so just buying the D850 grip and not the D5 battery etc. and using AA's is a tough one. However, it might be what I end up doing and maybe sometime later, when prices have perhaps dropped a little, I'll go for the battery to move from 7 to 9 fps. If I'm really honest I don't need 9 or 7 fps really, particularly for golf which is what I shoot the most. If you don't nail the first frame at impact anything after that is just substitute for poor timing/technique. I don't know at this point what I'll end up doing, but I do know I'll be getting a D850 quite soon. Sorry Pistnbroke I don't do greys so that not an option for me, a bit of a snob I guess when it comes to genuine kit intended for the UK and I fully accept I will pay more for that stance - hey ho, it's only money eh!!
  • spraynprayspraynpray Posts: 6,545Moderator
    Yeah, it's only money, so send me some eh? ;)
    Always learning.
  • Capt_SpauldingCapt_Spaulding Posts: 729Member
    trolley said:

Well,
    I bit the bullet & bought a new D850. I've told the wife - and I'm still alive!!
    Got a good trade-in deal & they've let me have a 64GB G series XQD for £100.
    I think the grip will have to wait a bit though, until I can sneak it in :D

Reminds of the old saying "when I die I hope my wife doesn't sell my (name your gear obsession) for what I told her I paid for them."
    I didn't say I told her how much! Just how good the trade-in was, and that they price matched the lowest price I'd seen
    I don't have that problem because if I buy my wife a new camera she does not notice as long as it black and says Nikon on it
    Ahhhhhhhh..........I'm so happy I'm not the only one who needs to tread carefully when working on the next big upgrade/purchase!!!!!!! I usually split my purchase across both debit and credit cards, that way I can control what figures get seen and which stay under the radar!! (PS Also try and throw a new lens into the mix and loose it in the overall total). Hey, I hope the other half never gets to see these posts otherwise I'm dead!!!!!!!!!! OK off topic but still fun to share our experiences of this great hobby.
    I told her she can sell the D850 to pay for my funeral