CFexpress cards are here now (for preorder)

Ton14Ton14 Posts: 448Member
edited September 10 in Nikon Z cameras
Just info, Sandisk made CFexpress cards now. The new Type B CFExpress utilizes the same form factor as Sony’s XQD cards, CFexpress Type B cards but the cards are much faster at reading and writing with speeds of 1700MB/s and 1400MB/s with the 512 GB model.

In the video, the new cards are used in a Nikon Z Series camera. That’s one big advantage for Nikon choosing this type of media.

Here the article with links.

https://www.newsshooter.com/2019/09/04/sandisk-reveals-new-speedy-type-b-cfexpress-media/
Post edited by Ton14 on
User Ton changed to Ton14, Google sign in did not work anymore

Comments

• tc88tc88 Posts: 343Member
    Did Nikon release the new firmware to support that? I thought they announced half a year ago that they were going to release a new firmware with CFexpress support. But I haven't heard a peep after that. Maybe I missed something.
  • Ton14Ton14 Posts: 448Member
    @tc88 That was my question too. Nothing can be found on the Nikon firmware page, but in this artcle they say: The new Type B CFExpress utilizes the same form factor as Sony’s XQD cards, maybe that is it. The new cards are used in a Nikon Z Series camera here, so I will test it in the shop first, when they become available.
  • mhedgesmhedges Posts: 1,239Member
    No firmware updates out yet. Everyone is waiting for it.
  • tc88tc88 Posts: 343Member
    @Ton14, please keep us posted. If you get a chance, can you also test out on D850 as well when you are there? Thanks.
    @tc88 Wilco, I don't have a D850, but I can always ask in the shop, but I did not see them in the big shops here in Holland at the moment.
  • EricBowlesEricBowles Posts: 26Member
    Last I heard Nikon was planning on releasing firmware to support CFExpress by the end of the year. It's not a big deal until there are actually cards available.
    Today at Calumet I talked with a Nikon representative the CF Express card. Nikon has had problems with the Lexar XQD card for the Nikon D500 in the past. At this moment there are a few different types of CF express cards, one of which seems to be compatible with the XQD cards and therefore also works in the Nikon Z6 and Z7, but definitely not authorized by Nikon, so own risk when used.

Now the new announced CF cards are still not available here in Holland, the prices are about the same as the current XQD cards, but they are 4 times as fast, which is an easy reason for me to wait until Nikon has the official firmware available .
    It's still pretty uncertain whether the CF will be faster in camera. But yes I'd say it makes sense to wait unless you really need a card right now.

They will certainly be faster reading the data off the card provided your computer can handle the speeds and you are writing to something that is very fast.
  • retreadretread Posts: 523Member
    I have Lexar XQD cards in my D500 and have had no problems. XQD cards are from before the brand was sold. I have SD 11 cards from SanDisk and ProGrade. I wish I knew how fast the camera could write to each card so I did not buy cards faster than I need too. Save a few bucks then. Cards are the fastest I could get when I got them.

I wonder if a XQD reader will read a CF Express card.
    edited November 17
    The shop where I buy my cards here in Holland writes that the reader can be used for the type CF express we need for our camera. Sony raised the prices for ther XQD cards. I have already seen lower prices then XQD.

They are still not available here, but I'am not in a hurry.
    Post edited by Ton14 on
    retread said:

I wonder if a XQD reader will read a CF Express card.

That's a good question. If CF express cards have built in USB emulation (like the latest XQD cards) than the cheaper Sony adapter should work. I don't know if a true XQD card reader will work.