[Resolved] Looking for opinions on a D500 vs D780 vs Z6 for wildlife

2»

Comments

• mhedgesmhedges Posts: 2,881Member
    Good deal. I believe they came that way in most European markets.

Enjoy! I love mine! The 24-70 F4 lens is also worth considering if you think you could use a nice walk-around zoom.
  • photobunnyphotobunny Posts: 646Member
    50mm is the most common of that range I would use. I never use 35 or 70mm. And if I am going 24 it is a special occasion that I know I am going in advance and probably want wider. So I think 50, 85, 70-200(would love a fixed 200), then something 300+ for wild life.
  • spraynprayspraynpray Posts: 6,545Moderator
    Nice.
    Always learning.
  • PistnbrokePistnbroke Posts: 2,443Member
    For events there is no substitute for the Nikon 28-300..there is no time to change lenses, no where to carry lenses and why would you want to do either. KISS

For events there is no substitute for the Nikon 28-300..there is no time to change lenses, no where to carry lenses and why would you want to do either. KISS

Personally for things like weddings I've always brought two bodies with me. One with a 85 and one with a 70-200. Then you keep a wide in the bag for a group shot.
    Don't get that ..why would you want an 85 when the 70-200 covers the same focal length. My analysis of my wedding photos showed that the majority were about 35mm ( on the 28-300) My other body at a wedding carries a 14mm Samyang. That lens does about 50 shots the 28/300 about 800. You carry a bag ? Why? If it wont go in you pocket don't bother with it
    70-200 covers almost everything but let’s in less light than a 85 prime and has a different look too it. I have in past weddings I shot almost everything on a 85mm f/1.2 with a 70-200 outside the wedding and for backup or to pick out something amusing in the back. 300mm f2.8 also produced some amazing candid shots of the bride and groom on there first walk. And I used a 24-70 for the group shots.

I don’t do weddings often enough to even remotely claim this is the best way of doing it. But it produces images I like.

I am first and foremost a wildlife photographer. Humans are rarely interesting enough subjects so I try to find ways to make the process interesting to me. Less we forget the first wedding I did the groom died a month later, very off putting.

Regarding the bag, again i am a wildlife guy and treat a wedding similar, I have my bag full of lenses, batteries, that flash thing I’ve used once, and my water and snacks. The shorter lenses are going to get a lot more use to me as indoor pet lenses or day out lenses.
    edited March 2020
    I used a 24-70 for the group shots.

So 24-70 for arrivals service and group shots and the longer ones for the paparazzi and arty stuff …..Sounds about right.
    Post edited by Pistnbroke on

I used a 24-70 for the group shots.

So 24-70 for arrivals service and group shots and the longer ones for the paparazzi and arty stuff …..Sounds about right.

Now I would use a 20 or 24mm prime(Depending on the one I buy). I don't plan on buying another 24-70 again. Something wide and a 50mm covers all the uses I had for the 24-70, looking at stats for all my shots on that lens over 20 years I have over 90% of them at 50 or 70.
  • Capt_SpauldingCapt_Spaulding Posts: 729Member

I am first and foremost a wildlife photographer. Humans are rarely interesting enough subjects so I try to find ways to make the process interesting to me. Less we forget the first wedding I did the groom died a month later, very off putting.

Note to self - don't retain @photobunny to document my next wedding.
    I always get full payment before the wedding....I have had two brides not turn up,one groom re arrested on parole and a brides father die one hour before the service...what joy.
  • Ton14Ton14 Posts: 698Member
    edited March 2020
    @photobunny For the Nikon Z serie camera's search on yotube for Ricci Talks, he shows you good information about the Nikon Z serie lenses, also compared the the Nikon F mount lenses.
    Post edited by Ton14 on
    User Ton changed to Ton14, Google sign in did not work anymore
  • PB_PMPB_PM Posts: 4,494Member
    edited March 2020

I always get full payment before the wedding....I have had two brides not turn up,one groom re arrested on parole and a brides father die one hour before the service...what joy.

Sucks to be them, hope you gave them a partial refund at least...

I for one would never pay a contractor in full before the job is done, that's just an invitation to get ripped off.
    Post edited by PB_PM on
    If I take a good photo it's not my camera's fault.
    edited March 2020
    Refund ?? what planet are you on ….had to pay extra for the re run. Any photographer who does a wedding without full payment is desperate for work or inexperienced. If they don't have the money before the wedding they certainly wont have it afterwards.

Refund ?? what planet are you on ….had to pay extra for the re run. Any photographer who does a wedding without full payment is desperate for work or inexperienced. If they don't have the money before the wedding they certainly wont have it afterwards.

+17 for this. Unless they cancel months in advance, no refund. You don't get money back if you cancel a week before, I don't have someone else lined up.
    If they have paid you could refund the part that is costs you did not have (fuel,hotel etc) .The law allows you to keep your profit . If they paid a deposit and signed a contract then you can sue for the loss of income. This is easy in the UK .Judge sorts it all on the phone. You have to refund if you get a replacement booking.
  • decentristdecentrist Posts: 33Member
    For reach plus max pixel density, try a D7200
    I have both the D7200 and D850 and two Tam 100-400 lenses .I can assure you that the 20mp Dx of the D850 gives a better picture
    I have settled on my z6 for now thanks folks. Mostly because I got it new for £200 less than it normally sells for and sells today. I really like it with the 50 and 85. I think I’ll go for a 70-200 to round it off then likely get a Canon 1dx and 200-400 for my wildlife setup unless Canon or Nikon put out a mirrorless super f4.
    edited April 2020
    The tamron 100-400 is brilliant and cheap ( very cheap grey) ,works with the FTZ adaptor but you need to use the tap in console

The tamron 200-400 is brilliant and cheap ( very cheap grey) ,works with the FTZ adaptor but you need to use the tap in console

I’ll consider it but my top two wildlife choices are currently the Canon 200-400 and Nikon 180-400 with a suitable body.
  • Ton14Ton14 Posts: 698Member
    If you buy a Tamron lens test it first on the camera. I had the Tamron 35mm which did not work on the Z6. It took a year before Tamron fixed it with a firmware update and the focus system was very slow.
    User Ton changed to Ton14, Google sign in did not work anymore
    Ton14 said:

If you buy a Tamron lens test it first on the camera. I had the Tamron 35mm which did not work on the Z6. It took a year before Tamron fixed it with a firmware update and the focus system was very slow.

I am only buying native glass. I decided whether I went to Canon RF or Nikon Z that I would be buying native glass. First to pass the post with a f/4 super-tele will win the prize of main body. (My z6 will likely remain a walk about for years to come with the cheep and light f/1.8 primes).