Photographer Has Giottos Rocket Blower Confiscated by TSA Because it ‘Could Fly Like a Missile’

ChasCSChasCS Posts: 309Member
edited December 2013 in Fun & Weird
What the Frick? I never heard of anything so ridiculous...

Photographer Has Blower Confiscated by TSA Because it ‘Could Fly Like a Missile’

Posted · Dec 18, 2013

It’s common knowledge that the Giottos Rocket Blowers and the TSA don’t get along. In the past we’ve told you to just leave it at home unless you want it confiscated with no more reason than “it looks like a bomb.” But the reason photographer and Canon Rumors forum user Surapon got was a whole lot more entertaining than that.

Surapon shared his experience on the CR forums, where he told the comical story of how 10 years of altercation-free TSA experiences with his blower in tow ended abruptly in 2012.

On his way back from a trip to Greece — one of the most beautiful and dusty locations, according to Surapon — he was transferring terminals in New York when security asked him to open his bags. They, of course, asked about the blower, an inquiry Surapon answered courteously enough, even spraying some air in his own face to demonstrate how it worked.

That’s when the TSA officer dropped this line: pointing to the fins he asked, “can it fly like a rocket?”

Surapon was, understandably, dumbstruck. When he didn’t answer, the officer walked over to his supervisor, had a brief conversation, and then told Surapon that his blower needed to be thrown away because, “if someone put gun powder inside this Rocket Blower, it can fly like a missile.”

Of course, when airport security tells you to do something, you do it — so the $10 doohickey went into the trash and that was that.

From then on, Surapon made a simple alteration that has kept him from getting in trouble with airport security since: he cut off the fins. Since then, no TSA agents have suggested that he could fashion a rocket out of his Giottos blower. That’s not to say they won’t… it just hasn’t happened again yet.

I bought it Because it looks like Bomb!!
D800, AF-S NIKKOR 80-400mm f/4.5-5.6G ED VR, B+W Clear MRC 77mm, AF-S NIKKOR 24-120mm f/4G ED VR, Sigma DG UV 77mm,
SB-910~WG-AS3, SB-50, ME-1, Lexar Professional 600x 64GB SDXC UHS-I 90MB/s* x2, 400x 32GB SDHC UHS-I 60MB/s* x1
Vanguard ALTA PRO 263AT, GH-300T, SBH-250, SBH-100, PH-22 Panhead
Lowepro S&F Deluxe Technical Belt and Harness ~ Pouch 60 AW 50 AW & 10, S&F Toploader 70 AW, Lens Case 11 x 26cm
FE, NIKKOR 2-20mm f/1.8, OPTEX UV 52mm, Vivitar Zoom 285, Kodacolor VR 1000 CF 135-24 EXP DX 35mm, rePlay XD1080

Comments

• kyoshinikonkyoshinikon Posts: 411Member
    edited December 2013
    I laughed when I saw this story on petapixel. I like most of my photographer buddies have specifically a Giotto Rocket Blower because they just work. Ive used other blowers that were the same size but had a quarter of the output. TSA agents have proven time once again that they are dumber than a bag of rocks.
    Post edited by kyoshinikon on
    “To photograph is to hold one’s breath, when all faculties converge to capture fleeting reality. It’s at that precise moment that mastering an image becomes a great physical and intellectual joy.” - Bresson
  • PB_PMPB_PM Posts: 4,494Member
    Cut the fins off and it will look like a blimp. Complaints gone. :D
    If I take a good photo it's not my camera's fault.
  • spraynprayspraynpray Posts: 6,545Moderator
    TSA agents have proven time once again that they are dumber than a bag of rocks.
    One would have hoped that our safety wasn't in the hands of such cretins.... :-<
    Always learning.
  • MsmotoMsmoto Posts: 5,398Moderator
    Yes, some of these TSA folks are a bit overzealous in their attempts to maintain security. But, please, remember, they have not been properly trained, and many have been elevated way beyond their level of competence.

My own experience was on a motorcycle upon re-entry from Canada, I turned around to catch a photo of my son coming out of customs, three of these characters swarmed my bike, used numerous derogatory words attacking my intellect, and told me to get on my way. There were no signs even suggesting that photos were prohibited, I looked, but I think what motivated these folks were hairs somewhere in their body near the area of their brains. :))
    Msmoto, mod
  • spraynprayspraynpray Posts: 6,545Moderator
    Yes, some of these TSA folks are a bit overzealous in their attempts to maintain security. But, please, remember, they have not been properly trained, and many have been elevated way beyond their level of competence.
    Agreed, but then my comment was aimed at all of them including the managers and policy makers.

Always learning.
  • dissentdissent Posts: 1,336Member
    TSA officials must never have been around small children very much, where pretty much anything they can pick up can be made to "fly like a rocket".
    - Ian . . . [D7000, D7100; Nikon glass: 35 f1.8, 85 f1.8, 70-300 VR, 105 f2.8 VR, 12-24 f4; 16-85 VR, 300 f4D, 14E-II TC, SB-400, SB-700 . . . and still plenty of ignorance]
  • framerframer Posts: 491Member
    Don't get me started about that gang of "thousands standing around" doing nothing but collecting a check.

They should be trained with more fuzzy then binary logic.

framer
  • Parke1953Parke1953 Posts: 456Member
    Funny but this happened to me last year at Lubbock Texas airport. Going thru security they opened my camera bag and took out my rocket blower and after a short discussion they let me show them how it worked. Hmm we have never seen one of those. Let me keep it and sent me on my way. Every once in a while my wife and I still talk about this.
  • IronheartIronheart Posts: 3,017Moderator
    One of them must have owned a D600 and decided they needed it more than you did :-)
  • AbhinavAbhinav Posts: 40Member
    This is absolutely dumb on the part of security people .
  • warprintswarprints Posts: 61Member
    Most of the "security" that TSA agents provide is a joke. Unfortunately, when you have a plane to catch, you are pretty much at their mercy.
  • ThomasHortonThomasHorton Posts: 323Member
    I suppose it never crossed their mind that even IF someone went through all the hassle of trying to fill it with gun powder that it still would not fly like missile? How many rocket motors are constructed of flexable rubber. There is probably a reason for this.

TSA, giving the public the illusion of safety since 2001.
    Gear: Camera obscura with an optical device which transmits and refracts light.
  • ChasCSChasCS Posts: 309Member
    edited December 2013
    I have a problem removing the "Fins" because then it looks like a water closet implement~device.

Yeah 'pull that out' at customs... Hehehe. Oh please no, Officer, it's not what you think!!
    I'd rather have my blower resemble a Rocket Ship than a "Dershowitz".

LMAO... :-)

The spell check on my iPad 3, is virtually insane... Not me!!
    Post edited by ChasCS on
    D800, AF-S NIKKOR 80-400mm f/4.5-5.6G ED VR, B+W Clear MRC 77mm, AF-S NIKKOR 24-120mm f/4G ED VR, Sigma DG UV 77mm,
    SB-910~WG-AS3, SB-50, ME-1, Lexar Professional 600x 64GB SDXC UHS-I 90MB/s* x2, 400x 32GB SDHC UHS-I 60MB/s* x1
    Vanguard ALTA PRO 263AT, GH-300T, SBH-250, SBH-100, PH-22 Panhead
    Lowepro S&F Deluxe Technical Belt and Harness ~ Pouch 60 AW 50 AW & 10, S&F Toploader 70 AW, Lens Case 11 x 26cm
    FE, NIKKOR 2-20mm f/1.8, OPTEX UV 52mm, Vivitar Zoom 285, Kodacolor VR 1000 CF 135-24 EXP DX 35mm, rePlay XD1080

• Rx4PhotoRx4Photo Posts: 1,200Member
    Personally, If I'm going to be FORCED to throw something useful away at customs then I'll try my best to render it useless before it goes into their dumpster.

D800 | D7000 | Nikkor 14-24mm f/2.8 | 24-70mm f/2.8 | 70-200mm f/2.8 | 35mm f/1.8G | 85mm f/1.4G | Sigma 35mm f/1.4 Art | Sigma 50mm f/1.4 Art | Sigma 50mm f/1.4 EX DG HSM | Zeiss 100mm Makro-Planar ZF.2 | Flash controllers: Phottix Odin TTL

• shawninoshawnino Posts: 453Member
    95% of TSA agents give the rest a bad name.

Can't wait for the day my Ai-S and D-glass are sufficiently "antique" that I'm told they're IEDs.
  • Vipmediastar_JZVipmediastar_JZ Posts: 1,708Member
    Well I haven't had bad expereinces with them. I did leave my sunglasses in a bin before and they made an announcement if somebody dropped their glasses to pick them up. I think this was in the Florida airport.
  • PhotobugPhotobug Posts: 5,751Member
    edited December 2013
    I laughed when I saw this story on petapixel. I like most of my photographer buddies have specifically a Giotto Rocket Blower because they just work. Ive used other blowers that were the same size but had a quarter of the output. TSA agents have proven time once again that they are dumber than a bag of rocks.
    Amen. They have demonstrated to me how dumb they are so many times. And I don't fly much.

I laughed at the story of the "rocket" blower. Got to admit I love mine and never had a problem with TSA.

Post edited by Photobug on
    D750 & D7100 | 24-70 F2.8 G AF-S ED, 70-200 F2.8 AF VR, TC-14E III, TC-1.7EII, 35 F2 AF D, 50mm F1.8G, 105mm G AF-S VR | Backup & Wife's Gear: D5500 & Sony HX50V | 18-140 AF-S ED VR DX, 55-300 AF-S G VR DX |
    |SB-800, Amaran Halo LED Ring light | MB-D16 grip| Gitzo GT3541 + RRS BH-55LR, Gitzo GM2942 + Sirui L-10 | RRS gear | Lowepro, ThinkTank, & Hoodman gear | BosStrap | Vello Freewave Plus wireless Remote, Leica Lens Cleaning Cloth |
  • WestEndBoyWestEndBoy Posts: 1,456Member
    So, TSA stands for something.

I think that "T" stands for "Totally".

Anybody care to speculate on what "S" stands for. When we all agree on that, which should be quick, we can get to the "A", where the true debate will occur.
  • IronheartIronheart Posts: 3,017Moderator
    In the interest in pulling this thread ever so slightly up out of the gutter, I saw this totally strange sign at the gate the other day. Mind you this was well past security, in the terminal, at the boarding gate. The sign was something to the effect of, spare lithium-ion batteries for cell phones, cameras, and computers must be kept in the cabin, not checked into luggage. I guess this was for folks that end up "gate checking" carry-on luggage when the overheads get full. What do you do if you have already put them into your checked bags? Why all the concern? I mean I guess they could blow up in the cold, de-pressurized, luggage compartment. Anyone else see this?
  • WestEndBoyWestEndBoy Posts: 1,456Member
    They are worried about fires in the cargo hold which are difficult or even impossible to deal with mid flight. A fire in the passenger cabin is easy to deal with.
  • Scuderia1Scuderia1 Posts: 82Member
    Interesting article.. I always carry mine in my 'camera book bag' on every trip. Haven't had any issues to date..
    Nikon D800 | Nikkor 50mm f/1.8g | Nikkor 24-70 f/2.8 | Nikkor 300mm f/4 (+Nikon TC1.4x)