How do you package camera for shipping

Mk223Mk223 Posts: 2Member
edited April 2014 in Nikon DSLR cameras
Hello all, I got a Nikon D7000 and a 18-105mm, the lens needs repair and the body need to be cleaned/service.

Just wondering how do you guys pack your gear to be shipped? I am thinking about doing a pelican case but the weight may be kinda expensive?

Thanks

Comments

• PB_PMPB_PM Posts: 4,494Member
    edited April 2014
    A pelican case would be rather expensive to ship, due to the size and weight. I've shipped plenty of stuff for clients in normal shipping boxes, with bubble wrap and/or crumpled up newspaper stuffed in around the items, and it works rather well. Don't send it in the original box, you won't get it back (Nikon even mentions this on their website).
    Post edited by PB_PM on
    If I take a good photo it's not my camera's fault.
  • tcole1983tcole1983 Posts: 981Member
    edited April 2014
    I think that is unnecessary. Put it back in the original box if you have it and put bubble wrap around it should be good. That is how I have sent gear I have sold and never had a complaint.

Edit: PB_PM might know more about service...if they don't send it back in the box then don't do that.
    Post edited by tcole1983 on
    D5200, D5000, S31, 18-55 VR, 17-55 F2.8, 35 F1.8G, 105 F2.8 VR, 300 F4 AF-S (Previously owned 18-200 VRI, Tokina 12-24 F4 II)
  • Dredden85Dredden85 Posts: 365Member
    edited April 2014
    After being stationed overseas, pack it like the courier is going kick it all the way to its destination.

1.) Detach the lens from the body. Secure body caps and lens caps. Bubble wrap it like crazy. Then use a ton of very tightly balled up news paper. When I shipped my D5000 from Florida to Djibouti Africa, I had at least two Sunday editions all balled/crumpled up around the bubble wrap. Overkill is a goodthing!! (D5000 arrived just fine and the box I think the courier driver used it to sit on to see over the wheel.)

2.) Insure it. It will take longer to get to its destination but if the courier damages it, you get to buy new gear.
    3.) @PB_PM is right. Nikon will not return your Nikon original packaging.
    4.) I now have a pelican for mailing and travel. Great investment.
    Good Luck @Mk223 ;)
    Post edited by Dredden85 on
    D7000, 18-200VRII | 50 1.8G | SB-900
  • roombarobotroombarobot Posts: 201Member

I sent my D600 in 3 times and learned from Nikon's packaging. I wrapped it in bubble wrap, then put it in a box firmly surrounded by packing peanuts. The camera got back and forth safely, but I still had the oil spots.

• SymphoticSymphotic Posts: 711Member
    I put it in a large plastic bag, then bubble wrap and secure in a cardboard box. I use medium sized bubbles, Nikon uses large bubbles. I like the box to have about two inches of space between the inner wall of the box and the camera. That space is filled tightly with bubble wrap. For example, a camera body alone would be in a box about 8 in x 10 in by 6 in.

Don't use your original box: it isn't designed to go through the mail. You probably have an amazon box around somewhere that is just right.

Print up the label and the return form from the Nikon service web site. Put a photocopy of the warranty card and the receipt in the box with the return form, even if you think it is out of warranty. Put the label on the box and mail by USPS or ship by UPS (better for tracking.) Declare the value for protection from loss.

Where are you located? Be sure to post your results on the "What happens when you send a camera to Nikon" thread.

http://forum.nikonrumors.com/discussion/232/what-happens-when-you-send-a-camera-to-nikon-for-repair#Item_112

Good luck!
    Jack Roberts
    "Discovery consists in seeing what everyone else has seen and thinking what nobody else has thought"--Albert Szent-Gyorgy
  • spraynprayspraynpray Posts: 6,545Moderator
    The problem with sending it back in the box is that they often damage the box - especially when you send in multiple items and the put a rubber band around all of the boxes to keep them together. Damaged boxes don't look good when you come to sell the items.

From my experience sending heavy and delicate items by post/courier, you simply have to realise that it is G-force that does damage so you need to protect the item from chafing as it moves, but allow it to move when the box is thrown/dropped (and it will be - several times). I start with an oversize box then wrap the item tightly on bubble wrap followed by loose bubble wrap to allow a little movement. NEVER use chippings as the items swim to the bottom of the box with vibration and then don't react well when dropped/thrown.

I always include that they should re-use my packing to return the goods to me but having said all of that, if at all possible, I always drop off my gear for service!
    Always learning.
  • Rx4PhotoRx4Photo Posts: 1,200Member
    Don't send it in the original Nikon D7000 box....you might not get back. Not sure about a Pelican case - likely overkill. Use a good sturdy cardboard box, lots of bubble wrap - several layers if using the tiny bubbles, and tape it down onto itself. Should be padded enough that if the wrapped camera itself fell from your hands onto a floor that it would likely bounce a little. I gaff taped the hot-shoe cover down before sending mine in the 1st time. 2nd time I just removed the hot shoe cover for my own peace of mind. (I hate losing tiny stuff as well).
    D800 | D7000 | Nikkor 14-24mm f/2.8 | 24-70mm f/2.8 | 70-200mm f/2.8 | 35mm f/1.8G | 85mm f/1.4G | Sigma 35mm f/1.4 Art | Sigma 50mm f/1.4 Art | Sigma 50mm f/1.4 EX DG HSM | Zeiss 100mm Makro-Planar ZF.2 | Flash controllers: Phottix Odin TTL

• MsmotoMsmoto Posts: 5,398Moderator
    OK, my 2 cents… camera in waterproof bag, like Zip Lock. Bubble wrap, tight in a corrugated cardboard box. Then with more bubble wrap around this box, into a second corrugated cardboard box.

And, as noted, UPS or FedEx, insure for replacement value.
    Msmoto, mod
  • PhotobugPhotobug Posts: 5,751Member
    +1 Msmoto. I always double box my equipment when sending it to Nikon Service or if I sell something on eBay. It's worth the extra cost for shipping cost.
    D750 & D7100 | 24-70 F2.8 G AF-S ED, 70-200 F2.8 AF VR, TC-14E III, TC-1.7EII, 35 F2 AF D, 50mm F1.8G, 105mm G AF-S VR | Backup & Wife's Gear: D5500 & Sony HX50V | 18-140 AF-S ED VR DX, 55-300 AF-S G VR DX |
    |SB-800, Amaran Halo LED Ring light | MB-D16 grip| Gitzo GT3541 + RRS BH-55LR, Gitzo GM2942 + Sirui L-10 | RRS gear | Lowepro, ThinkTank, & Hoodman gear | BosStrap | Vello Freewave Plus wireless Remote, Leica Lens Cleaning Cloth |
  • SymphoticSymphotic Posts: 711Member
    OK, my 2 cents… camera in waterproof bag, like Zip Lock. Bubble wrap, tight in a corrugated cardboard box. Then with more bubble wrap around this box, into a second corrugated cardboard box.

And, as noted, UPS or FedEx, insure for replacement value.
    Yep, freezer bags do it for me. I've never used a second cardboard box, but my cameras are only going 50 miles by the UPS truck to LA.

The key, as Msmoto points out, is to get it tight into a good wrapping of bubble wrap. With or without a second box around it, you don't want the camera poking a corner out of the bubble wrap. Nikon tapes the bubble wrap around the length and width on the cameras they return. Also, they use the toughest, un-poppable bubble wrap I have come across. This is a commendable practice, and functionally is similar to double boxing.

Nikon bubble wrap is boring for my grandson, though. Even standing on it, he can't pop it!
    Jack Roberts
    "Discovery consists in seeing what everyone else has seen and thinking what nobody else has thought"--Albert Szent-Gyorgy