Z6ll Memory Card Capacity

IanGIanG Posts: 106Member
Hi

I need help from you guys please - regarding memory card capacity.

Context - off to visit Scotland in the fall - will be there a couple of weeks, and travelling light - Z6ll and a couple of lenses. I'm taking material to dump the cards / backup on the run, but I'm interested to know just how many images I can REALLY get on a 512Gb card.

I shoot RAW 14 bit lossless and according to personal experience, my files average 33Mb

My math is probably severley wonky, but 512 x 1024 = 524288Mb

Divided by 33Mb = 15887 files

Is this reasonable? If so, I will be able to run a backup (protection) from time to time but continue shooting for a few days lol....

Thanks in advance for your input

Ian

Cameras, lenses and stuff. (I actually met someone once who had touched a real Leica lens cloth.)

Comments

• photobunnyphotobunny Posts: 649Member
    Since it is SD cards I would never rely on one big one. I got about 4000 images on a 128 GB CF Express card. I recommend multiple 128 GB (or smaller) CF Express and/or SD cards. And just keep hiding them. You'll find both easily available in our bigger cities and towns if you run out.

We have 1 Gbps Internet in most places including hotels for you to backup the files onto AWS S3 or whatever cloud storage you prefer.
  • IanGIanG Posts: 106Member
    Thank you for your comments.

I'm like you and generally avoid larger cards - I have a number of 'smaller' cards which generally do the job, and will simply take a couple with me.

Ironically I decided to actually look at the top display on my camera/s - discovered the theoretical image count displayed bottom right!

(Next you'll be telling me to read the instruction book.... :-) )
    Cameras, lenses and stuff. (I actually met someone once who had touched a real Leica lens cloth.)
  • WestEndFotoWestEndFoto Posts: 3,745Member
    IanG said:

Hi

I need help from you guys please - regarding memory card capacity.

Context - off to visit Scotland in the fall - will be there a couple of weeks, and travelling light - Z6ll and a couple of lenses. I'm taking material to dump the cards / backup on the run, but I'm interested to know just how many images I can REALLY get on a 512Gb card.

I shoot RAW 14 bit lossless and according to personal experience, my files average 33Mb

My math is probably severley wonky, but 512 x 1024 = 524288Mb

Divided by 33Mb = 15887 files

Is this reasonable? If so, I will be able to run a backup (protection) from time to time but continue shooting for a few days lol....

Thanks in advance for your input

Ian

I think it is reasonable. I get 13,000 images, or a little more, on my 660gb cards in my Z8 and Z9.
  • photobunnyphotobunny Posts: 649Member
    Also remember not to say Fall when you visit Scotland, we'll think you are absolutely bonkers.
  • IanGIanG Posts: 106Member

Also remember not to say Fall when you visit Scotland, we'll think you are absolutely bonkers.

You're right of course - after having lived and worked in a number of different countries, I tend to 'adapt' my writing to my (expected) audience - merci pour le conseil! (I've ended up in SW France)

As to being bonkers, I thought that was 'required' no?