Is the OLED display the new gold ring?

photobunnyphotobunny Posts: 104Member
edited August 1 in Nikon Z lenses
This is isn’t intended to be too serious a conversation

I have noticed on the S line of lenses we have two tiers and the top tier has the OLED display on it. For instance the 24-70 f/2.8 vs f/4 and the upcoming 50mm f/1.2 vs the f/1.8 version. So are we considering this the new gold ring?

Edit: Just to add I know S is the top of the line gold ring equivalent. So there is more than a wee bit of tongue and cheek. It is however interesting to note in the Canon side a white lens hood makes it a more L, L lens.
Post edited by photobunny on

Comments

• WestEndFotoWestEndFoto Posts: 3,248Member
    S is the gold ring. There were plenty of gold ring lenses that I thought were almost, but not quite, mediocre.

Think of the OLED as premium gold ring.
  • PB_PMPB_PM Posts: 4,162Member
    No doubt, there is no way the 24-120mm F4 VR should have had a gold ring. I agree, S is clearly the "Signature" line of lenses. Guess Nikon realized that the Gold ring thing was kind of silly, just copying the Canon Red Ring.
    If I take a good photo it's not my camera's fault.
  • tc88tc88 Posts: 449Member
    Canon's 24-105 f/4 and 17-40 f/4 also have red ring. They are all similar quality. Pretty much all f/4 zooms have a ring.
  • spraynprayspraynpray Posts: 6,244Moderator
    PB_PM said:

No doubt, there is no way the 24-120mm F4 VR should have had a gold ring.

Yep. Agreed.
    Always learning.
  • PistnbrokePistnbroke Posts: 2,054Member
    edited August 3
    24-120 f4 JUNK and I dont think any of the Z zooms are any better
    Post edited by Pistnbroke on
  • mhedgesmhedges Posts: 1,450Member

24-120 f4 JUNK and I dont think any of the Z zooms are any better

Huh? Z 24-70 2.8 is outstanding. And the F4 version is about as good as the F mount 2.8's, other than being a F4 lens. The 14-30 is decent enough too, expecially for 24 mp.
  • photobunnyphotobunny Posts: 104Member
    I was hoping people would have a wee bit more fun than this. Kinda more taking the mick of the concept rather than hating particular lenses.
  • SymphoticSymphotic Posts: 664Member

S is the gold ring. There were plenty of gold ring lenses that I thought were almost, but not quite, mediocre.

Think of the OLED as premium gold ring.

Yep. There are some gold ring lenses that are not up to the gold standard in performance. So far no disappointments with S lenses.

OLED is cool, but I don't look at it once I set up for shooting.
    Jack Roberts
    "Discovery consists in seeing what everyone else has seen and thinking what nobody else has thought"--Albert Szent-Gyorgy
  • mhedgesmhedges Posts: 1,450Member

I was hoping people would have a wee bit more fun than this. Kinda more taking the mick of the concept rather than hating particular lenses.

Ah. Well in that case yes - it mostly seems like a gimmick to me.

I suppose the DOF display could come in handy in certain situations. Other than that I can't see a whole lot of benefit from it.
  • PB_PMPB_PM Posts: 4,162Member
    Nikon was trying desperately to do something to distinguish their gear from others, problem they do it in all the wrong places. They should have put more R&D into auto focus, rather than useless energy sucking LCD screens on the lenses. All that information could have been displayed on the rear LCD/EVF, what a waste.
    If I take a good photo it's not my camera's fault.
  • PistnbrokePistnbroke Posts: 2,054Member
    edited 7:58AM
    I have spent some time studying lenses via DXO, sharpness and field.
    If I take one lens and look at how may MP it "needs" on different cameras it goes like this ...D800 (heavy LPF) 20 MP D810 (no LPF) 28MP D850 30MP. The sharpest lens produced by Nikon can only use 37MP on a D850. The Z zooms don't do very well. I think one of you said good on a Z6 and Thom Hogan said " adequate"
    So I conclude that the Z mount has not done a lot for IQ and a 60 MP sensor will not help except for BIF.A 30 MP DX replacement for the D500 would be a better option.
    Post edited by Pistnbroke at