How much market research do camera companies do?

2»

Comments

• sevencrossingsevencrossing Posts: 2,800Member
    edited June 2013
    I think it was Alfred Dunhill who, when asked, if the disposable lighter had affected sales of his lighter said " we don't sell lighters, we sell jewelry "

There are people who collect Leicas and they will buy it
    Post edited by sevencrossing on
  • shawninoshawnino Posts: 453Member
    @7xing: The people who collect Leica, does that extend to the fixed lens compacts? I've met very few collectors but the ones I have met are all about systems. (And instruction manuals. And cases. And books. And images of Leica Advertising. And... but not compacts...)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    edited June 2013
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
    Post edited by [Deleted User] on
  • sevencrossingsevencrossing Posts: 2,800Member
    Slakjaw" The D400 thread has like 39 pages of people who are holding out for this body.
    Yes but its the few same people ( including me ) saying the same things

• PB_PMPB_PM Posts: 4,494Member
    @PB_PM
    like most Japaneses camera makers - snip - have you lived in Japan? I have and you are confused about what you think you know..
    So the sales numbers lie? If that is true, I guess I know nothing about Japan. :-?
    If I take a good photo it's not my camera's fault.
  • DennyAfstandDennyAfstand Posts: 1Member
    Data may represent many companies. The main thing to choose a company that doing research competitors and market as a whole, based on your goals. Try to look market research database where gathered a huge number of full and actual reports.
  • PhotobugPhotobug Posts: 5,751Member
    I don't see TTJ rant too often. This one was well done and I totally agree with:

I think we as our society moves further and further away from "do it yourself" to store bought assembly line "X" product we become clueless to what it takes, and costs, to have quality products. So many are so far removed from any understanding of any type of production that they think adding this or that is just another "cardboard box" accessory for $X.99 that you can just pull off the shelf.

In my head when I can't afford it, I just think "suck it up and stop complaining. If you want it that bad, then spend your time in figuring out how to get it, rather then complaining about it."

I see it in my own kids and in many people that work for me...they want a fast solution and will pay for the item rather than build it themselves. Out of all the people that I have helped buy camera equipment it's always interesting listening to them complaint about price.

Love TTJ's example. People want a less expensive option and yet people jump on the "negative" band wagon when a consumer lens is produced to meet that market. Don't they realize if you have a quality lens and you want to produce it for less than half the money there are short cuts (design criteria) you must make. You make engineering and marketing decisions to get the price lower. Some time people just are not realistic in their expectations.
    D750 & D7100 | 24-70 F2.8 G AF-S ED, 70-200 F2.8 AF VR, TC-14E III, TC-1.7EII, 35 F2 AF D, 50mm F1.8G, 105mm G AF-S VR | Backup & Wife's Gear: D5500 & Sony HX50V | 18-140 AF-S ED VR DX, 55-300 AF-S G VR DX |
    |SB-800, Amaran Halo LED Ring light | MB-D16 grip| Gitzo GT3541 + RRS BH-55LR, Gitzo GM2942 + Sirui L-10 | RRS gear | Lowepro, ThinkTank, & Hoodman gear | BosStrap | Vello Freewave Plus wireless Remote, Leica Lens Cleaning Cloth |
  • spraynprayspraynpray Posts: 6,545Moderator
    I don't see TTJ rant too often. This one was well done and I totally agree with:
    Love TTJ's example. People want a less expensive option and yet people jump on the "negative" band wagon when a consumer lens is produced to meet that market. Don't they realize if you have a quality lens and you want to produce it for less than half the money there are short cuts (design criteria) you must make. You make engineering and marketing decisions to get the price lower. Some time people just are not realistic in their expectations.
    Whaaat? TTJ's rant was in early June BTW. Now, you only have to look at Sigma's new lenses to see that Tao's comments are a sweeping generalisation - take the 18-35: it's built like a tank and has a DxOMark score that trounces the Nikon offerings.
    Always learning.
  • PhotobugPhotobug Posts: 5,751Member
    Oh heck...I did not see the June date. Charge that to a senior moment. :-*
    D750 & D7100 | 24-70 F2.8 G AF-S ED, 70-200 F2.8 AF VR, TC-14E III, TC-1.7EII, 35 F2 AF D, 50mm F1.8G, 105mm G AF-S VR | Backup & Wife's Gear: D5500 & Sony HX50V | 18-140 AF-S ED VR DX, 55-300 AF-S G VR DX |
    |SB-800, Amaran Halo LED Ring light | MB-D16 grip| Gitzo GT3541 + RRS BH-55LR, Gitzo GM2942 + Sirui L-10 | RRS gear | Lowepro, ThinkTank, & Hoodman gear | BosStrap | Vello Freewave Plus wireless Remote, Leica Lens Cleaning Cloth |
  • spraynprayspraynpray Posts: 6,545Moderator
    edited December 2013
    You too @Photobug? Must be contagious. :P
    Post edited by spraynpray on
    Always learning.
  • kyoshinikonkyoshinikon Posts: 411Member
    Most likely, one can conclude from Nikon's way of dealing with the various issues which have arisen from the D800 and D600 that the market research is not taken very seriously. As a pro if I were beginning a build of equipment, I would do a lot of research of Canon to see what problems they have, and how they are managed by Canon. Then, I may just purchase Canon instead of Nikon.
    I will say that Canon has their own share of D600's and Sb900's but like nikon they rarely address the issue and just make a new version. The problem with the current duopoly is that they have become comfortable in their progress instead of out doing each other in innovation they mainly play leapfrog. 5D (12mpx), D700 (12mpx), 5dmk2 (21mpx), D800 (36mpx).... 50D better than D90, D7000 better than 60D and almost better than the 7D... Part of the problem is that canon even with their loss in ground is still considered by many (reviewers and critiquers) as the status quo. When you read a review and the reviewer is complaining of a "bad location" for a button (for instant the ISO button) or a feature that isnt in the camera they usually compare it to a similar speced Canon even if a Nikon, Pentax, or Sony is more appropriate.

Nikon does obviously have a marketing team but based on the latest releases their focus is getting canon & EVF system users to switch to them, not maintaining their current users with relevant upgrades.

“To photograph is to hold one’s breath, when all faculties converge to capture fleeting reality. It’s at that precise moment that mastering an image becomes a great physical and intellectual joy.” - Bresson
  • PolinePoline Posts: 1Member
    If you are still interested, I found the doc - Camera Industry: Market Research Reports, Statistics and Analysis. I can send it to you. Of read it on www. reportlinker.com
  • PistnbrokePistnbroke Posts: 2,444Member
    And are the purchasers of grey import D600 happy ? Are they getting the sensor changed? Best look for paperwork saying its had the sensor changed if buying a second hand D600....