Chicago Sun-Times lays off its entire photography staff

13»

Comments

• SymphoticSymphotic Posts: 711Member
    I was talking to a newspaper photographer (and NPS member) last month. He was waiting on a cold street corner across from securities company a to take a picture of the stock ticker display showing the year end market close. He had been there all day to get the daily peak. I guess the idea was to get people walking in the street on the last trading day of the year and show the market high as well. I good idea, I suppose. The next day I looked in the paper and on the website, and they didn't use his photo.

It must be a tough job.
    Jack Roberts
    "Discovery consists in seeing what everyone else has seen and thinking what nobody else has thought"--Albert Szent-Gyorgy
  • MsmotoMsmoto Posts: 5,398Moderator
    @Symphotic

I think you have pointed out something important. A lot of the photos used in the news media are being edited by "news" people who seem to have most of their taste in their mouth. Some are individuals who would not know a good image from a hole in the ground.
    Msmoto, mod
  • PB_PMPB_PM Posts: 4,494Member
    edited January 2014
    What working photojournalists need now is 4G built into their cameras, so images can be in to the editor ASAP. The problem now is the delay between the time images are taken, and being made available to the editor. If the editor has to choose between an bunch of semi crappy smartphone shot, that are "good enough", yet on his/her desk now, vs a "great" journalists shot that is still sitting on a CF card, guess which one will make it to print/the web faster?
    Post edited by PB_PM on
    If I take a good photo it's not my camera's fault.
  • WestEndBoyWestEndBoy Posts: 1,456Member
    I agree
    What working photojournalists need now is 4G built into their cameras, so images can be in to the editor ASAP. The problem now is the delay between the time images are taken, and being made available to the editor. If the editor has to choose between an bunch of semi crappy smartphone shot, that are "good enough", yet on his/her desk now, vs a "great" journalists shot that is still sitting on a CF card, guess which one will make it to print/the web faster?
    I agree, but there is nothing stopping anybody that needs to do that from doing it.
    Aside from the fact that the Samsung Galaxy NX (crappy camera) is the only interchangeable lens camera with a 4G connection...
    Nikon definitely needs to do it and it should be slick, or the attempt will backfire.
    I would also like a camera to back up the files to a portable SSD drive that fits in a pocket automatically as I shoot.
    Yes, some kind of built in wireless connection is needed on the next generation of pro bodies. I would buy a wifi model, but personally don't have a need for 4G on my camera. If they do add it, I hope they make two models, one with and one without. I don't want to be stuck with another monthly contract just to use my camera.
    I think the only practical way would be software for Windows, Apple, Blackberry, Android etc. That connects to the cameras wifi through the laptop, phone or whatever. You would not need to worry about that.

Like I said, if you are motivated, you can do it now. But, moving forward, this is table stakes, not an "option".
  • MikeGunterMikeGunter Posts: 543Member
    Hi all,

@PB_PM - it's a far more complicated issue and question than that.

I would suggest that photojournalists need assignments - and to turn the photos in to editors for review, not via methods that may be hacked.

We shouldn't forget that manipulation is a huge ethical problem in the field of journalism (writing to, there it called lying), so I would suggest that 4G would be something I would discourage, unless the files are some way secure - which day seems like Alice in Wonderland.

My best,

Mike
  • AdeAde Posts: 1,071Member
    4G is what we call a "physical layer". It can be used with other technologies to securely transmit files, such as HTTPS or various forms of Secure FTP. Unfortunately in the news business unsecured FTP is still very commonly used.

4G or not, photo editors are very mindful of deadlines and would be very unlikely to send staff photojournalists out to take rush pictures if those pictures couldn't be processed in time.

For stock tickers, major markets close at 4PM sharp, and indices are usually delayed by 1 minute, so by 4:01 PM the photographer can take the last shots and finish up. Everyone knows in advance when markets are scheduled to open and close so there's no reason to miss deadlines.

Where 3G/4G has tremendous value is when there's coverage of breaking news. When riots broke out in Toronto during a G20 meeting a few years ago, photo editors were very frustrated not being able to get pictures edited and published on their websites right away.

I've used EyeFi to send out JPEGs wirelessly from my D800 out to the internet via my iPhone. Works well, but the experience could definitely be improved.
  • IronheartIronheart Posts: 3,017Moderator
    This is way off topic. For more detail on what @Ade is talking about, you can turn your smart phone into a wi-fi "hot spot", effectively bridging between the mobile broadband (3G/4G, etc...) and your wi-fi only devices. Phone companies will also sell you a device called a "mi-fi" (pronounced my-fy) to do the same thing.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MiFi
  • SymphoticSymphotic Posts: 711Member
    Some of my photos were recently published in Underwater Magazine. Not National Geographic or Sports Illustrated, but it does show almost anyone can get in print nowadays.
    Jack Roberts
    "Discovery consists in seeing what everyone else has seen and thinking what nobody else has thought"--Albert Szent-Gyorgy
  • manhattanboymanhattanboy Posts: 1,003Member
    Some of my photos were recently published in Underwater Magazine. Not National Geographic or Sports Illustrated, but it does show almost anyone can get in print nowadays.
    You are not "almost anyone". For one, you read and participate in NR forum. Give yourself some credit, you deserve it. =D>