What button on your D-SLR do you use the least?

2»

Comments

• donaldejosedonaldejose Posts: 3,705Member
    The button I don't know about!
  • AdeAde Posts: 1,071Member
    The button (switch) I never use is eye-piece cover switch that we're supposed to toggle when shooting long exposures.

When I shoot long exposures, half of the time totally forget to cover the eye-piece. And when I remember, usually I'm already in the middle of an exposure, so I just move my hand (or face) towards the eye-piece instead of toggling the switch. Good thing when I'm doing long exposures it's usually in very dark conditions anyway.
  • MsmotoMsmoto Posts: 5,398Moderator
    @Ade

Had to laugh about this...on the D4 to remove the eyepiece ring in order to attach a right angle viewer, one must first move the lever and cover the hole so as to keep stuff from entering the penta prism. Well, when shooting the sun, everything is black except the sun do to the filter on the front of the 400mm f/2.8.

So, I am searching the sky for the sun when I realize I have not returned the little lever to viewing position after attaching the right angle viewer. Maybe I do not use this much either.....LOL
    Msmoto, mod
  • kyoshinikonkyoshinikon Posts: 411Member
    I find it funny that the quality is so unpopular. I use it all of the time.
    “To photograph is to hold one’s breath, when all faculties converge to capture fleeting reality. It’s at that precise moment that mastering an image becomes a great physical and intellectual joy.” - Bresson
  • FlowtographyBerlinFlowtographyBerlin Posts: 477Member
    I use all the buttons on my camera...some on purpose and some accidentally....more LOL... :))
    LOL, the best answer so far.

Interesting thread, for sure.
  • JuergenJuergen Posts: 315Member
    ....well, I am actually waiting for somebody saying:" the shutter button" :))
    Jürgen
    D4, D800E, Nikon 1 J2, 600 f/4, trinity, PC-E 45, PC-E 24, 105, 50 f/1,8g, 85 f/1,4, Sigma 150-500
  • PB_PMPB_PM Posts: 4,494Member
    You use the shutter button??? That's so old fashion. ;)
    If I take a good photo it's not my camera's fault.
  • JJ_SOJJ_SO Posts: 1,158Member
    Who needs more than a Play-button?
  • KickedArtsKickedArts Posts: 1Member
    I only recently used MIRROR UP and was shocked to find it wont keep my mirror up until I want it down.Using D300.
    @KickedArts

You are correct, the mirror goes up for one exposure and returns to allow viewfinder functions. The only reason to have the mirror stay up is to clean the sensor. Otherwise on "mirror up mode" one releases the mirror each time by pushing the release.
    Msmoto, mod
  • spraynprayspraynpray Posts: 6,545Moderator
    I find delayed exposure mode more useful personally.
    Always learning.
    @spraynpray

+1... I set mine for 2 seconds....
    Msmoto, mod
  • JJ_SOJJ_SO Posts: 1,158Member
    Too much diggimg in the menu :) I switch the wheel to Mup and if I don't have a remote with me the soft touch of my finger is still doing less wobble than a mirror hammering inside the body.

And forget to switch it back, usually 8-|
  • spraynprayspraynpray Posts: 6,545Moderator
    No digging in the menu at all [-X - I have one of my Fn buttons set to delayed exposure, the other to the viewfinder level. I'm set up for low light land/cityscapes very quickly.
    Always learning.
  • KillerbobKillerbob Posts: 732Member
    edited June 2013
    I must admit after about 2 months of D800ing, I have not used the AE-L/AF-L once. I use the AF-ON-way of focussing, and set Exposure manually. Hence, using AE-L/AF-L is of no use to me.

I am sure as I venture further into the photography universe I will start using it, and can easily imagine that it will be useful when shooting in more fast paced situations, where I will want to use the A, S or P modes...
    Post edited by Killerbob on