Experience /w RRS tripods

Comments

• PhotobugPhotobug Posts: 5,751Member
    edited September 2014
    Ali,
    Don't worry about the video quality its fine. I was trying to make it harder than it was and your short video totally answered my questions. The flexibility of using that F2-FAB clamp on the "L" clamp or the foot of your 70-200 & 300mm lens is outstanding.

Thanks for putting this together. I am sure it will help out others as well..
    Post edited by Photobug on
    D750 & D7100 | 24-70 F2.8 G AF-S ED, 70-200 F2.8 AF VR, TC-14E III, TC-1.7EII, 35 F2 AF D, 50mm F1.8G, 105mm G AF-S VR | Backup & Wife's Gear: D5500 & Sony HX50V | 18-140 AF-S ED VR DX, 55-300 AF-S G VR DX |
    |SB-800, Amaran Halo LED Ring light | MB-D16 grip| Gitzo GT3541 + RRS BH-55LR, Gitzo GM2942 + Sirui L-10 | RRS gear | Lowepro, ThinkTank, & Hoodman gear | BosStrap | Vello Freewave Plus wireless Remote, Leica Lens Cleaning Cloth |
  • KillerbobKillerbob Posts: 732Member
    I know I "can" use the D800/MB-D11 L-Plate from RRS, but that it will give some challenges connecting cables to the D810 on the side mounts. The screw on that L-Plate is not a thumbscrew, and I wonder if I can use the new thumbscrew and simply replace it? Anyone...

Also, given the latest discussion concerning handstraps, I wonder if anyone is using the handstrap offered by RRS? I'd use it on my D800 (w/o MB-D11), sitting in my belt on a Peak Design Capture Clip System...
    I know I "can" use the D800/MB-D11 L-Plate from RRS, but that it will give some challenges connecting cables to the D810 on the side mounts. The screw on that L-Plate is not a thumbscrew, and I wonder if I can use the new thumbscrew and simply replace it? Anyone...

Also, given the latest discussion concerning handstraps, I wonder if anyone is using the handstrap offered by RRS? I'd use it on my D800 (w/o MB-D11), sitting in my belt on a Peak Design Capture Clip System...
    The RRS L-plate is cut out so you can access the various cables to the jacks on the side of the camera. I also now that RRS sells some adapters to relieve any cable stress. I have not issues on my D7100 accessing the various jacks with plugs. I would drop the RRS Customer Service department a note about the thumb screw. They are pretty responsive.

I have used a generic hand grip on my D300 for about six months and then sold the strap. I did not like it. Don't know anyone using the RRS hand strap.
    D750 & D7100 | 24-70 F2.8 G AF-S ED, 70-200 F2.8 AF VR, TC-14E III, TC-1.7EII, 35 F2 AF D, 50mm F1.8G, 105mm G AF-S VR | Backup & Wife's Gear: D5500 & Sony HX50V | 18-140 AF-S ED VR DX, 55-300 AF-S G VR DX |
    |SB-800, Amaran Halo LED Ring light | MB-D16 grip| Gitzo GT3541 + RRS BH-55LR, Gitzo GM2942 + Sirui L-10 | RRS gear | Lowepro, ThinkTank, & Hoodman gear | BosStrap | Vello Freewave Plus wireless Remote, Leica Lens Cleaning Cloth |
    I have been using the RRS L-Plate on my D800/MB-D12 for some time, and just wonder what it is that won't work on the D810/MB-D12? RRS hasn't started shipping yet, and I just wonder if it is even worth ordering (except for that thumbscrew)?

As for the hand-strap, I think I will need it when I carry the D800 on the belt Peak Design clip, and I ordered the Camdapter Pro strap from B&H, along with an array of goddies, like new SanDisk CF and SD cards, Leica cleaning cloth, eye pieces for the D810, and LegCoat wraps for the TVC-24L.
    Looks like some nice accessories you ordered from B&H. I just smiled when I saw your comment you ordered the Leica Cleaning cloth...I can bet that Golf007sd is chuckling every time he reads that people bought one. After having used mine twice I have got to admit, it's a nice cleaning cloth.
    I am hoping it will better my Nikon gear just being close to a Leica cloth:)
  • MsmotoMsmoto Posts: 5,398Moderator
    OK, so it was a bit out of focus…LOL

However, while the RRS equipment works well, for this, the exact system can be had with other manufacturers…. as I happen to have this. Very nice to be able to simply switch everything out by using the ARCA Swiss connectors...
    Msmoto, mod
  • HvalHval Posts: 110Member
    edited September 2014
    I have been hiding for a while. Am back at work full time so not a lot of time to do much. Have also gone and given myself a trapped nerve which has stopped me from doing much.

Been to an airshow, photographed a lot of dead wood (don't ask - it is for science) photographed a few birds. Unfortunately I am having major problems processing photos due to the trapped nerve.

Due to the evil brain washing from certain persons on here I have just ordered a RRS TP-243 tripod. I have tried a few others and none have been particularly great.

Oh well...... The wife knows, and has forgiven me.
    Post edited by Hval on

Cheers,

Hval

Owner of an extremely high quality Leica Lens Cleaning Cloth
    I have been hiding for a while. Am back at work full time so not a lot of time to do much. Have also gone and given myself a trapped nerve which has stopped me from doing much.

Been to an airshow, photographed a lot of dead wood (don't ask - it is for science) photographed a few birds. Unfortunately I am having major problems processing photos due to the trapped nerve.

Due to the evil brain washing from certain persons on here I have just ordered a RRS TP-243 tripod. I have tried a few others and none have been particularly great.

Oh well...... The wife knows, and has forgiven me.
    Happy to hear your back and with a lighter checkbook. You will love the TP-243 tripod. Isn't it nice to have an understanding wife? LoL Hope it does not cost you much for a gift for her. :-))
  • Golf007sdGolf007sd Posts: 2,840Moderator
    edited October 2014
    Oooh boy, here is yet another tool that will one day find its way into my bag. I find the engineering that went into the FH-350: Fluid Video Head to be truly amazing.

Post edited by Golf007sd on
    D4 & D7000 | Nikon Holy Trinity Set + 105 2.8 Mico + 200 F2 VR II | 300 2.8G VR II, 10.5 Fish-eye, 24 & 50 1.4G, 35 & 85 1.8G, 18-200 3.5-5.6 VR I SB-400 & 700 | TC 1.4E III, 1.7 & 2.0E III, 1.7 | Sigma 35 & 50 1.4 DG HSM | RRS Ballhead & Tripods Gear | Gitzo Monopod | Lowepro Gear | HDR via Promote Control System |
    edited October 2014
    In the 750 forum I mentioned I had NAS and while I was in Roberts and looked at the Nikon D750. That twice in two different stores.

When i finished with the D750 and 80-400 lens I looked at the BR straps and decided I really like the Sports model. When I buy the FX body its going to need a new strap. Thanks to @Golfs007sd comments and video I also checked out the stealth hook to reduce the noise level and the RRS adapter. Okay so I have added it to my list of future purchases....do I have RRSAS? Darn it Golf. :D

I was looking at The Boss strap and need to do that once more.

That is a great RRS Fluid Video Head, great video. No wonder it cost so much. The features and finish are excellent.
    Post edited by Photobug on
    edited October 2014
    Their goodies keep on coming, Say hello to the soon to be released FG-02.

D4 & D7000 | Nikon Holy Trinity Set + 105 2.8 Mico + 200 F2 VR II | 300 2.8G VR II, 10.5 Fish-eye, 24 & 50 1.4G, 35 & 85 1.8G, 18-200 3.5-5.6 VR I SB-400 & 700 | TC 1.4E III, 1.7 & 2.0E III, 1.7 | Sigma 35 & 50 1.4 DG HSM | RRS Ballhead & Tripods Gear | Gitzo Monopod | Lowepro Gear | HDR via Promote Control System |
  • EiTaroEiTaro Posts: 35Member
    There must be also a non released PG-01 as mentioned on this video
    D800 | 16-35mm f4 | 50mm f1.4 | 70-200mm f2.8 | 150-600 Sport | SB910 | RRS
    Excellent video on the FG-02. I don't want to even check the web site for the price. :( For BIF this looks like the tool to use.

The side mount version is cool...PG-01 and the FG-02 are going to be big sellers. Crazy monopod. Talk about a thick monopod...very sturdy.
  • scoobysmakscoobysmak Posts: 215Member
    Well I admit I went looking for the FG-02, I think I must be blind though. I didn't see anything on the RRS website about it, even ran a search. I looked in the blog and saw where they created a VG-02, looks very similar but one of the knobs is different and the video handle is not on the FG-02. For what ever reason I can not view the video section of the RRS website so maybe the FG-02 is in that part.
    I ask RRS about the FG-02 and this is what they said: "The FG-02 shown in this video is a prototype. We are still in the process of field testing the FG-02, and our release date is based on the results of our field tests. In the meantime, the link is to our existing PG-02 modular gimbal head which functions the same, only without fluid damping. "
  • jjb930jjb930 Posts: 80Member
    I'm in the market for a new tripod this winter.

I consider myself an enthusiast/amateur. I primarily shoot three things: landscape (mostly at night), macro, and wildlife (e.g., BIF). RRS gear is highly praised by NRF users and it sounds like like it is a reasonable long-term investment (the quality is top-notch, there is no disputing that). BUT, I am curious whether going for the RRS kit (e.g., TVC-23 with BH40) for ~$1200 would be my best choice.

RRS tripods are noticeably more expensive than "professional" carbon fiber tripod w/ head kits from other reputable companies (e.g., Manfrotto, 3 Legged Things, Vanguard, Oben, Sirui, etc). I don't doubt that RRS makes the highest quality components, but I am curious whether that extra quality will be noticeable for my uses, as I tend to be very careful with my gear and I don't use it every single day (i.e., I still hold a regular job).

My second concern becomes a matter of practicality. I have never seen a RRS tripod in person and our camera shop doesn't carry them. My understanding is that each tripod is made to order directly from the company website. With most of my camera gear, I find that my online purchases have been more hit or miss than purchases made in store. Online purchases include the "surprise factor" that you don't get to test out all the functions in person. Sometimes these surprises are minimal, but sometimes they can be a deal breaker. Having the chance to test out the competitor tripods in store makes them appear to be a more attractive option at the moment.

I might be over-analyzing the situation, but I am curious whether any members have suggestions or comments about my concerns.

Nikon D800 | Tokina 16-28mm f/2.8 | Nikon 50mm f/1.8G | Nikon 85mm f/1.8G | Nikon 105mm f/2.8 VR Macro | Tamron 150-600mm f/ 5-6.3 | Nikon SB700 | Kenko Auto Extension Tube Set | Cactus V6 Transceiver Set | SDMV Speedbox 60 Diffuser | FotoPro T83-C CF Tripod | FotoPro NGC-75 CF Monopod
  • WestEndBoyWestEndBoy Posts: 1,456Member
    I have only owned two tripods. One was "crap" and the other (my RRS) is incredible. It is hard for me to comment on the practicality of RRS over something in the middle.

Thomos Hogan has an excellent article on tripods that I found very influential for my purchase. It is:

http://www.bythom.com/support.htm

So why did I buy RRS, instead of Gitzo? (It should be noted that you can buy Gitzo tripods from RRS). The first reason was the BH-55 ball head (note that Thom uses this with Gitzo tripods). The ball head is arguably the most important part of the "tripod system", so I started there. I would rather have cheap legs bolted to a BH-55 (within reason) than a cheap ballhead bolted to expensive legs. This is kinda like 2.8 zooms on a cheap camera instead of a superzoom on a D800. The head is what holds everything steady (assuming the legs are adequate) and it is important that it is easy to use and does not creep.

In summary, it can be argued that the BH-55 ballhead is the best ballhead that money can buy. I should disclose that there are one or two others for which that argument can be made, but I forget what they are.

Once I decided on a ballhead, the rest was easy. I am not a penny pincher, so three factors were important:

Assuming that the rest of the tripod system is up to par (and it is!!), then why would I deal with potential compatibility issues? I want to spend my time on shooting, not researching gear.

RRS's service is amazing. Telephone support and email support are both great. You will deal with real people that really know their stuff (no pun intended). This compensates for the inability to "hold it in your hand".

Golf on this site really knows RRS. My only warning is that Golf is an "RRS Nutjob" (meaning I suspect his RRS bias is strong and that if he has any kids, they are 1/3 Golf, 1/3 Golf's wife and 1/3 RRS), but once you have decided on RRS, that is a good thing. Golf knows the line inside out and really helped me when I made my purchase. That makes him one of my best photography friends in my book.

So unless money is a concern, I would recommend that you proceed with RRS as follows:

Come to terms that a tripod is part of a system, and may not even be the most important component.
    Buy everything from RRS.
    Decide on RRS or Gitzo tripods (which you can buy from RRS).
    Pick RRS's brain by email.
    Pick Golf's brain in this thread. Golf is really good on the details, like which accessory to buy.
    Grok (deeply understand) the RRS website from top to bottom. Watch ALL the videos. They are really quite good even if you buy somebody else's tripod system.
    Reconcile what you learn in 4, 5 and 6.
    Pull the trigger.
    When you receive what is likely the best piece of mechanical engineering that you will ever hold in your hand, short of an F-22, you will likely think that some things are a little different than your expectations (for example, you may come to believe through your research that RRS tripod systems take verbal instructions and walk on water). Don't worry about these little things. Nothing is perfect, and for every complaint that you might have with RRS, you will probably have 10 with the next best system. I am speaking about the "surprise" and "hit and miss" factors that you bring up. I would not worry about that with RRS and RRS has a great return policy.

You can see from my signature thread what I ended up with. I spent a little less than $4,000 to land everything in Canada, but it is fully kitted. I even have the RRS tripod bag and FOUR of each of the THREE feet (rubber, spike and rockgrip), the deluxe macro set and most of every accessory that I could bolt on the thing (even an accessory to bold my SB-910 on the tripod). You should be able to do really well for less than $2,000 even with the BH-55 My only complaint is that when travelling, it is a little heavier than I would like as I am willing to give up some of the rock solid stability for lightness. My solution will likely be to buy a second tripod system with the lightest possible head and tripod and "accessory light" for travel, and continue to use the tripod system in my signature for non-travel.
    edited November 2014
    Thank you for all the positive comments WestEndBoy...cheers buddy.

@jjb930: With respect to RRS, I can assure you, their product is simply outstanding; thus have no fear in assuming their product will disappoint. In this topic, their have been many comments about their product line. Please go through them all..if you have not already.

+1 on going to their Youtube page and seeing their products.

Now, I personally own the TVC-23. In fact, back in 2011, I started out with the BH-40. Before this year, my longest and heaviest lens was the 70-200 2.8 VR II. The BH-40 was able to handle it and more. However, early this year I new I was going to be getting much bigger lenses, thus I purchased the BH-55 at the end of 2013. If I had to do it all over again, I would skipped the BH-40 and gone right to the BH-55. Given that you shoot BIF, you might end-up getting bigger and longer focal length lenses, in the forceable future, thus the BH-55 is worthy of consideration in order to hedge against future ballhead replacement. Having said that, for most of my action shots, I have been using my monopod more than my tripod. But for everything else, my tripod comes into play. Once RRS comes out with their new gimble-head I will be getting it.

With all that said, before I make some additional recommendations, please let me know what body you currently own and lenses.
    Westend & Golf,

I hope to order something around Christmas time, so I definitely have time to make an informed decision. You always have great advice and I definitely have more homework to do on the topic.

@Golf, the majority of my gear is listed in my signature (see below). I could see the Tamron 150-600 being considered as a "heavier" lens. I don't have any fast f/2.8 long range telephotos though. What are your thoughts?

Nikon D800 | Tokina 16-28mm f/2.8 | Nikon 50mm f/1.8G | Nikon 85mm f/1.8G | Nikon 105mm f/2.8 VR Macro | Tamron 150-600mm f/ 5-6.3 | Nikon SB700 | Kenko Auto Extension Tube Set | Cactus V6 Transceiver Set | SDMV Speedbox 60 Diffuser | FotoPro T83-C CF Tripod | FotoPro NGC-75 CF Monopod
    @jjb930 - I love my Gitzo tripod, see signature and originally bought it with the Markins head. That was my first ball head and loved it. During a photo workshop I got to try the BH-40 and BH-55 head on RRS and Gitzo tripods. I saw the light...the RRS heads were much for me than the RRS BH-55. A few months ago got the BH-55 head and sold my Markins. My learning, should have spent the extra money and got the BH-55 ball head. I really love it compared to the Markins ball head.

Gitzo and RRS tripod. Take your time and do the research. Both are excellent.

I had the Tamron 200-500mm tele for 6 years. With that lens you really need the BH-55 instead of the BH-40. So I second Golf's comments on getting the BH-55 instead of the BH-40. The new 150-600 is similar to the 200-500, think it's slightly heavier but not sure. If you are not going about 200mm, then the BH-40 is good but you just never know how long a lens you will wind up with so do not scrimp with the smaller ball head. That is why I got the bigger Markins head.

Do your research and ask your questions here...many of us have gone thru the exercise and you want practical user experience.
    @jjb930: Sorry for not looking at your signature, my bad.

OK so, the first thing you will need to get it an L-Braket. If you have just the body only then get this; if you have the additional battery grip you will need this.

As for your Tamron, its foot is not replaceable. You will need to add an ARCA plate to it in order for it to be mounted on an ARCA swiss ballhead.

If you do not mind me asking, where do you live?
  • WestEndBoyWestEndBoy Posts: 1,456Member
    @jjb930: Sorry for not looking at your signature, my bad.

OK so, the first thing you will need to get it an L-Braket. If you have just the body only then get this; if you have the additional battery grip you will need this.

As for your Tamron, its foot is not replaceable. You will need to add an ARCA plate to it in order for it to be mounted on an ARCA swiss ballhead.

If you do not mind me asking, where do you live?
    I bought both L plates as I don't take the MB-D12 on vacation.
    @Photobug, @WestEndBoy, and @Golf007sd

Thanks for the helpful comments thus far. I'll look into some of your suggestions this evening.

Golf - I am located in Saskatchewan, Canada.
    edited November 2014
    @jjb930: Since time is on your side, keep and eye out on Ebay for the L-Plates for your D800. Keep in mind, many that have upgraded to the new D810, will also need to replace their L-plates for the D800, this should provide you with a good opportunity in finding a good deal.

eBay listing for RRS gear.