MB-D11 versus the rest?

spraynprayspraynpray Posts: 6,545Moderator
edited June 2013 in D90/D7x00
I don't want to lash out on an MB-D11 for my D7K, but before I buy the Meike version I thought I had better ask for opinions from users of the Meike and others like Hahnel etc., what their thoughts are. I don't need the extra battery power as my D7K is really excellent on its batteries, it is just for the improved handling I am getting it.

I understand there is one aftermarket grip that also has a magnesium body like the Nikon - any feedback on that? Plus I like the Hahnel grip because they make a huge battery that fills it entirely - I think it is 2300mAh (I know I said I don't need extra capacity). :\">

As the Meike is £200 less than the Nikon, it is worth a go I think!

TIA.

Post edited by spraynpray on
Always learning.

Comments

• NSXTypeRNSXTypeR Posts: 2,286Member
    edited June 2013
    If you want even cheaper the Neewer one is $40 US. I've held it and the finish on the rubber is just slightly different.

The one downside is that the direction of the command dials are reversed from what I hear.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0050F2Z4Y/ref=as_li_ss_tl?ie=UTF8&tag=nikorumo-20&linkCode=as2&camp=217145&creative=399373&creativeASIN=B0050F2Z4Y

I really though about getting a grip. I really only need 3 lenses in my kit- I never use a super telephoto and my heaviest lens is the 105mm macro. My 2 other lenses is the 35mm 1.8 and the 18-135. They're both pretty light lenses, so I'll skip on the battery grip for now. Unless I get that 70-200. :D
    Post edited by NSXTypeR on
    Nikon D7000/ Nikon D40/ Nikon FM2/ 18-135 AF-S/ 35mm 1.8 AF-S/ 105mm Macro AF-S/ 50mm 1.2 AI-S
  • spraynprayspraynpray Posts: 6,545Moderator
    I find my little finger keeps slipping under the body or undoing the rubber bung which is why I want a grip, nothing to do with lens weight.

I am hoping that the dials being reversed will not be a problem for me - providing the dial doesn't swap when you change the direction in the menu because I run my dials reversed anyway! :-B
    Always learning.
    edited June 2013
    Couple of days and no replies from people using non-Nikon grips - there must be some of you out there? Am I the only skinflint? :P They are selling many thousands of these things - some of you must have one!

OK, what about this - I remember reading that some people had problems with their batteries draining overnight with the MB-D11 - was that fixed in the camera or were they faulty grips? Does anybody have experience of the non-Nikon grips having this problem?

What about the non-Nikon batteries - any experiences here?
    Always learning.
  • JJ_SOJJ_SO Posts: 1,158Member
    One of the some people answering (hopefully others will join now): All the grips under my cams are genuine. I'm not too happy with the thin magnesium shell, I would be even less happy with a thin plastic wall, but the main reasons to stay away from Non-OEM grips is: eBay or other "halfround the world" buying possibilities. It's just not my cup of tea.

MB-D11, genuine part: had to go back to Nikon, it was wobbling under the body, the screw was too long - no joke. So, again, genuine parts are no guarantee for good quality. But the exchanged grip is now working as it should do.

MB-D11 and MB-D15 are not using the same holders. How brain-amputated is that, Nikon? How easy would it be to use the same holders and how much would the customers gain by being able to use both holders for each cam? There's no real reason for the fraction of mm for what it's just not being interchangeable.

I thought, there was once a thread with 3rd party grips?
  • I don't have the d7k. Bought the MB-D14 for my D600 the other day. One of the biggest shops here sell it for 169.- euro instead of the 249.- to 279.- by a lot of other sellers. The reason for me to pay 80.- more was, that the the other brands has different shapes and the dedicated arca-swiss coupling don't fit on those and I don't like universal couplings.
    Those who say it can't be done, should not interrupt those doing it!
  • NSXTypeRNSXTypeR Posts: 2,286Member
    Couple of days and no replies from people using non-Nikon grips - there must be some of you out there? Am I the only skinflint? :P They are selling many thousands of these things - some of you must have one!

OK, what about this - I remember reading that some people had problems with their batteries draining overnight with the MB-D11 - was that fixed in the camera or were they faulty grips? Does anybody have experience of the non-Nikon grips having this problem?

What about the non-Nikon batteries - any experiences here?
    Well... I don't have a grip, but I did have a problem with it losing 2 "bars" of battery life after the first charge and not using it for about 4 weeks. I know it's not supposed to stay fully charged forever, but I honestly wasn't expecting it.

It's probably because the battery meter is more accurate than the D40 and more likely that I'm just not used to it. I used to be able to go almost 800 shots before having the battery meter even budge on the D40.

That being said, I haven't used the D7000 long enough to drain the battery, so I'm probably okay.

Whew, sorry for the sidetrack!
    Nikon D7000/ Nikon D40/ Nikon FM2/ 18-135 AF-S/ 35mm 1.8 AF-S/ 105mm Macro AF-S/ 50mm 1.2 AI-S
  • EricBowlesEricBowles Posts: 27Member
    I've got the Nikon MB-D11. It works well and there are no real issues. The controls are not quite the same as the camera and you need to practice with it, but it has held up well.

In general the issues with third party grips are related to build quality. Over time, there are a number of reports of controls becoming loose or having excessive play. With that has come some reports of faulty operation. So you might need to replace the grip after a year or two of use. Comparatively, the Nikon has no issues with extensive use over the same period.

As to the battery, don't go 3rd party. There are sensors in the battery that communicate with the camera. Some reports are of the sensor not operating properly - especially with a grip. The other issue is early failure - the batteries have become swollen and threaten to get stuck in the camera. I've tried 3 third party batteries with other Nikon cameras - all from reputable sources. All three failed within two years of purchase while the Nikon batteries have all been fine with as much as 7 years of normal use.
  • mk2popmk2pop Posts: 80Member
    ive got an meike mbd80 on my D90 and a gen. mbd10 on my D300 and the difference in quality is outstanding, not that the meike one isnt good, ive had mine for 2 1/2 years now and its still going but the finish is nowhere near the genuine
    D300 | D90 | D40 | F65 x2 | F75 | 10-24mm | 18-200mm | 35mm f1.8 | 50mm 1.4d | 40mm Micro | 70-300mm Tamron | 100-300mm f4 Sigma |1.4x Sigma tc | Sb400 | Sb900 x2

Awaiting a DX D400
    edited June 2013
    "The finish is nowhere near the genuine" That does make me want to stay away.

I had the Nikon grip on my D90 and it made the handling much better, but the joint with the camera wasn't really firm which compromises the effectiveness of using a tripod - this is quite common it seems. I am getting the feeling that a third party grip and having poor quality buttons isn't going to be a good buying experience :-L

I don't fancy hanging my camera off a plastic grip when using my BR strap. I am pretty sure that one of the third party grips does have a magnesium body - was it Hahnel - I can't remember - maybe that would be an OK substitute for the Nikon grip?
    Always learning.
    Have you seen the SaveOn grip? I didn't read it all, but there was something about "magnesium alloy" in the text:
    http://chargedversatilembok3.blogspot.ch/2013/04/saveon-nikon-mb-d11-replacement-battery.html

At least, this grip brings a lot with it, like two batteries, bag and chargers. On the Meike I read one comment calling it so wobbly that the contact got lost while shooting and the battery were emptied very soon although it was not in use. But at 1/5 of the Nikon price... not such a big surprise, I think.
    That looks very interesting JJ but the chargers are 110V 60Hz because it is produced for the American market.
    Always learning.
    My bad, didn't think of that. Anyway, if the batteries are okay, there's still more than Nikon delivers. But if it's an AC/DC charger, does this mean, you can charge the battery from a car's 12V battery socket?

I'm really not sure what to think of such offers. One part of me is sceptical "too cheap to be good", the other part tells me, some products are sold more expensive than they have to be because otherwise people would not take them serious.
  • IronheartIronheart Posts: 3,017Moderator
    @s-n-p, the charger is good for 100-240v and even comes with a euro adapter. And it's only for the en-el15 batteries, which you already have a charger for.
    Thanks for your reply Ironheart, I saw that the pins were interchangeable, but the British system isn't the same as the euro system, it has to have three pins even for double insulated equipment.

To be honest, I have spent some time reading reviews from buyers of the non-OEM grips and I doubt I would be happy with them so I am going to save money by spending more (!) on a genuine one.
    Always learning.
  • IronheartIronheart Posts: 3,017Moderator
    Spraynpray, I've been to the UK before and had no trouble adapting to the three prong system (I'd have to dig my travel plug kit out to remember exactly what I used) Regardless I agree with your sentiment, and anything that has to do with power I personally use genuine Nikon, for peace of mind if nothing else.
    edited June 2013
    I'm wondering why those grips do have to be (only) cheaper in the eyes of their manufacturers. Why not improve them and ask the same money as Nikon does?

Better bottom plate, maybe with Arca profile
    Charging socket
    Better multifunction switch
    Possibility to put two batteries in
    Same or better quality of the housing
    Built in W-Lan
    Built in GPS

They all are just copies, more or less well done. If the manufacturers still make benefits at those prices, why not doing the same competition with OEM parts as lens makers are doing since decades?
    Post edited by JJ_SO on
    Good point, Nikon's grip could do with updating in lots of ways so an equivalent quality with more bells and whistles would be good.
    Always learning.
  • Rx4PhotoRx4Photo Posts: 1,200Member
    Spraynpray, I wish I could add to this but can't. I bought the Nikon brand grip for my D7K and love it. Didn't want to pay for the Nikon grip for D800 so I bought the $105 USD Flashpoint grip for it. It's mag alloy as well. It actually fits more snugly to the camera than the Nikon grip to the D7K. The shutter button has a better feel as well. I don't know if Flashpoint makes one for the D7K but it might be worth looking at.
    D800 | D7000 | Nikkor 14-24mm f/2.8 | 24-70mm f/2.8 | 70-200mm f/2.8 | 35mm f/1.8G | 85mm f/1.4G | Sigma 35mm f/1.4 Art | Sigma 50mm f/1.4 Art | Sigma 50mm f/1.4 EX DG HSM | Zeiss 100mm Makro-Planar ZF.2 | Flash controllers: Phottix Odin TTL

I think you added a lot to the topic Rx4 - thanks. I hadn't even heard of the Flashpoint until you mentioned it, but I found Adorama sell it so I took a look and I've come to the conclusion that most of these D7K battery grips are made by the same company and if you buy enough they'll call it what you like! Reading the reviews, it seems you have a good one so make sure you hang onto it. Same complaints about quality for those as for the Meike and Hahnel so what the heck, I'll get the Nikon part.

Cheers man.
    Always learning.