Wedding Photography...professional equipment

Comments

• Golf007sdGolf007sd Posts: 2,840Moderator
    mtkmmt  Outstanding post +1. 
    chrisjakes If you are not able to obtain the lenses you seek, then by all mean rent them and use them on your shoot. The cost will be much less, and the usage of them will allow you the oppurtunity to find out if those lenses will work for you now and in future jobs. 

D4 & D7000 | Nikon Holy Trinity Set + 105 2.8 Mico + 200 F2 VR II | 300 2.8G VR II, 10.5 Fish-eye, 24 & 50 1.4G, 35 & 85 1.8G, 18-200 3.5-5.6 VR I SB-400 & 700 | TC 1.4E III, 1.7 & 2.0E III, 1.7 | Sigma 35 & 50 1.4 DG HSM | RRS Ballhead & Tripods Gear | Gitzo Monopod | Lowepro Gear | HDR via Promote Control System |
  • adamzadamz Posts: 842Moderator
    my 2 cents. two bodies is a must, also at least two lenses in the standard zoom range: 35-70mm. I was shooting a wedding once, and right at the beginning my d3s dropped to the ground and aperture on my n24-70/2.8 got stucked at 2.8. gladly I had prime with me. 

some time ago I was using a lot of flash, but right now I prefer to shoot on with available lights unless I do some weddings in very dark churches. I use RAW during ceremonies and for any official photos. during party I recently started to shoot in jpg only mode. after all it's all about the mood not perfect colours, and it saves me tones of time in post processing.

my standard wedding setup: 
    - d3s + N24-70/2.8
    - d800 + N70-200/2.8
    - 50/1.8 in the bag
    - 35/1.8 in the bag
    - 105/2.8vr in the bag
    - sb-900 as main flash
    - sb-800 as second flash
    - sb-80 (if I need to lighten the background for some reasons)
    - pocket wizard 
    - lot's of cards, and I shoot master on prime slot and copy (standard jpg) in the second slot
  • chrisjakeschrisjakes Posts: 43Member
    I did use the 35 1.8 when i helped take pictures at another wedding and I think I got some decent shots.  The ceremony is going to be 4pm or so outside if all goes well so i'm not too worried about having enough light or not. 
    The reception is just small family thing where we will all most likely be drinking so I really just need to have something to get good family pictures and some during the ceremony.  I'm thinking the tamron 28-75 might be a good one to try to use for the ceremony.  since the D7000 is around $900 for the body right now i'm looking at maybe spending another $1200 on lenses? maybe more if I need to. I was looking at the Tokina 100mm macro b/c I know i will use that a lot doing nature close ups (what I am really interested in).

you all have been very helpful and I greatly appreciate it

I really just usually shoot for fun so i'm trying to watch some videos and get ideas also about settings for taking the shots and which aperture is best for portraits.  Anyone in the DC area want to give me a free class? haha
    mtkmmt  Outstanding post +1. chrisjakes If you are not able to obtain the lenses you seek, then by all mean rent them and use them on your shoot. The cost will be much less, and the usage of them will allow you the oppurtunity to find out if those lenses will work for you now and in future jobs. 

That is also something I have looked into.  I have looked at Borrowlenses.com and it seems good so that might be another way to go. I'd still like to add lenses to my bag though :)
  • spraynprayspraynpray Posts: 6,545Moderator
    Don't forget to take the crop factor of DX into consideration Chris.  For instance that useful 24-70 f2.8 is not so useful as a 36-105.  You might find the 17-55 f2.8 would be more useful.
    Always learning.
  • heartyfisherheartyfisher Posts: 3,186Member
    edited January 2013
    Interesting thread and posts thanks all..

I have not done a wedding .. but I have done events and photos for several Theather Performances, including behind the scenes candids. This info correlates to my experience there.. Lots of fun too, you get to watch the performances :-)
    Post edited by heartyfisher on
    Moments of Light - D610 D7K S5pro 70-200f4 18-200 150f2.8 12-24 18-70 35-70f2.8 : C&C very welcome!
    Being a photographer is a lot like being a Christian: Some people look at you funny but do not see the amazing beauty all around them - heartyfisher.

Don't forget to take the crop factor of DX into consideration Chris.  For instance that useful 24-70 f2.8 is not so useful as a 36-105.  You might find the 17-55 f2.8 would be more useful.

Good point.  thats a $1400 lens but looks pretty nice.  could be a good investment for me.  Id also like a nice telephoto for sports and wildlife at some point.......
  • warprintswarprints Posts: 61Member
    edited January 2013
    I haven't shot weddings in almost thirty years - at least not as "the" wedding photographer.  Based on the responses above, some things just haven't changed - have backup equipment and know your equipment before you have to produce results.    

Around where I live (south Louisiana), seems that everyone with a DSLR and a kit lens is holding themselves out as wedding photographers.   Oh, for the days of film and the relative lack of competition !!
    Post edited by warprints on
    I would not have volunteered myself I was just asked.  For another wedding I recruited a friend with 2 canon MK2 and nice lenses to help me.  I used my Nikon D5000 and 35mm 1.8 for some reception shots but used his one of his cameras for the ceremony (which was in terrible lighting on a back patio)  we did the best we good all things considered........
  • MsmotoMsmoto Posts: 5,398Moderator
    Thank you all for the excellent information.  I do believe this will be useful for what I need.
    Msmoto, mod
  • mtkmmtmtkmmt Posts: 7Member
    chrisjakes

If your budget is 1200 + 900 or so, one option would be used d700 or new d600 and one decent fx prime. That way your image quality and ability to shoot in low light would take giant leap forward. You have decent budget
    and i really don't see the advantage of having two dx bodies. Of course it is up to you, there is as many truths as there is photographers and some prefer dx. 
    Obviously I'd like to spend more but the hope is to spend as little as  possible but get good results for when I do shoot pictures.  I'd stick with DX b/c of cost and the fact that I wont be doing this for money just personal enjoyment.....also i'll have to be explaining how much i spent on camera equipment to my better half :)
    Those are valid reasons Chris.  In reality, you could stay with your D5000.  That camera is not going to give you poor pictures when a D7??? would give you good ones.

Scenario three would be buy the superb 17-55 f2.8 and keep the body.  You could then upgrade to what ever after they have been released for a while and are sorted.  That was my strategy with the D7000 - I only got mine 11 months ago.
    Always learning.
  • JJPhotosJJPhotos Posts: 47Member
    edited January 2013
    I have to say I didn't see the benefit in sticking with DX lenses (in fact I only ever bought two and was sometimes hampered at the wide end with the FX Tamron 28-75 on the DX bodies). Ever since the D700 came out I've been wanting to change to FX and it's just been a question of exactly when. For that reason I avoided the DX only top-end lenses as it seemed just a bit too limiting for the cost, especially as lenses generally outlive the camera bodies in the digital world.

If you've got the money to spend then I'd agree with mkt - go  for a D600. Apart from all of the image quality benefits you won't find yourself swearing at the AF quite so much. "ANOTHER MISS?!!? *&$(ING AWESOME D7000!"
    Post edited by JJPhotos on
    JJN
  • TaoTeJaredTaoTeJared Posts: 1,306Member
    What are the lighting modifiers, stands, poles, reflectors anyone uses for strobes?  (Stick with venue and not studio for now I guess.)

I have been looking at a bunch of different things trying to expand for more options and better quality light.
    D800, D300, D50(ir converted), FujiX100, Canon G11, Olympus TG2. Nikon lenses - 24mm 2.8, 35mm 1.8, (5 in all)50mm, 60mm, 85mm 1.8, 105vr, 105 f2.5, 180mm 2.8, 70-200vr1, 24-120vr f4. Tokina 12-24mm, 16-28mm, 28-70mm (angenieux design), 300mm f2.8. Sigma 15mm fisheye. Voigtlander R2 (olive) & R2a, Voigt 35mm 2.5, Zeiss 50mm f/2, Leica 90mm f/4. I know I missed something...
    edited January 2013
    Tao,

I use the small Manfrotto lightstands with brollies. It's a relatively quick setup using wireless triggers and, generally, shoot-through brollies. I sometimes use the reflectors.

If I'm shooting with the flash 'on camera' it's normally really on a stroboframe bracket. I rarely use direct flash if it's in the camera hotshoe and prefer bounce with a white or silver card.
    Post edited by JJPhotos on
    JJN
    If you've got the money to spend then I'd agree with mkt - go  for a D600. Apart from all of the image quality benefits you won't find yourself swearing at the AF quite so much. "ANOTHER MISS?!!? *&$(ING AWESOME D7000!"
    hmm the D600 huh?  I'm sure i would be happy with that camera.  just balking at spending $2000 on that and then adding a lens that would probably be $1500 new at least.  I would buy a used lens from someone i know but not sure where online would be good to buy used and trust it.  maybe adorama?
  • heartyfisherheartyfisher Posts: 3,186Member
    edited January 2013
    Do you see yourself in the medium to long term going to FX? if not stay with DX lenses and cameras.

if you do stay with DX, Consider the new Tamron 17-50 VC or the Tamron 60mm F2.0 Macro. The 60 macro (for portraits and rings) in combination with your 35 1.8 and 18-55 should cover the wedding well. Maybe get the D7000 as well so that you have 2 cameras on the day.. 
    Post edited by heartyfisher on
    Moments of Light - D610 D7K S5pro 70-200f4 18-200 150f2.8 12-24 18-70 35-70f2.8 : C&C very welcome!
    Being a photographer is a lot like being a Christian: Some people look at you funny but do not see the amazing beauty all around them - heartyfisher.

• mtkmmtmtkmmt Posts: 7Member
    chrisjakes,

Adorama and KEH are great for used stuff. Their ratings hold up and at lest all the stuff i've bought rated ex have been like new. 

• sevencrossingsevencrossing Posts: 2,800Member
    edited January 2013
    What are the lighting modifiers, stands, poles, reflectors anyone uses for strobes?  (Stick with venue and not studio for now I guess.)

I have been looking at a bunch of different things trying to expand for more options and better quality light.
    KISS Apart from group shots; I use an on camera SB 900 with the supplied diffuser bounced off what ever is available. I keep a spare in a pocket, for when it over heats

for groups, I use three Sb900s (two through one umbrella one through another) all with PWs on cheap and nasty stands
    Post edited by sevencrossing on
    I saw a pro at a recent wedding who got his second shot to carry a pole with an SB900 on it. Whoever the pro pointed his camera towards got illuminated from high left. Not my idea of a great set-up but the pics weren't bad.
    Always learning.
    It's also worth considering how you'll carry your kit on the day. For me the TT harness and belt is the best together with the camera straps which clip to the harness, allowing me to go 'handsfree' when setting up strobes etc.

JJN
  • PB_PMPB_PM Posts: 4,494Member
    @spraynpray I have seen that practice as well, at my sisters wedding actually.
    If I take a good photo it's not my camera's fault.
  • shivaswrathshivaswrath Posts: 7Member
    The only problem I have with CLS, which is great in many situations, is that it can be hit and miss if there are obstructions. For example, I'll often want to put a flash behind a pillar and this can mean that its sensor doesn't pick up the command flash from the camera. I therefore prefer to use radio triggers in all but the most straightforward scenarios.

I agree that the money thing is a whole different question.

Use PW's, and usually problem is how much more creative can you get!

w: www.neilphotos.com
    p: www.suneil.net

I shoot, therefore I am.
  • shivaswrathshivaswrath Posts: 7Member
    my 2 cents. two bodies is a must, also at least two lenses in the standard zoom range: 35-70mm. I was shooting a wedding once, and right at the beginning my d3s dropped to the ground and aperture on my n24-70/2.8 got stucked at 2.8. gladly I had prime with me. 

some time ago I was using a lot of flash, but right now I prefer to shoot on with available lights unless I do some weddings in very dark churches. I use RAW during ceremonies and for any official photos. during party I recently started to shoot in jpg only mode. after all it's all about the mood not perfect colours, and it saves me tones of time in post processing.

my standard wedding setup: 
    - d3s + N24-70/2.8
    - d800 + N70-200/2.8
    - 50/1.8 in the bag
    - 35/1.8 in the bag
    - 105/2.8vr in the bag
    - sb-900 as main flash
    - sb-800 as second flash
    - sb-80 (if I need to lighten the background for some reasons)
    - pocket wizard 
    - lot's of cards, and I shoot master on prime slot and copy (standard jpg) in the second slot
    I would've flipped out had that happened to me...but again, reinforces the need for 2 cameras. In the fly of the moment, it's crucial.
    w: www.neilphotos.com
    p: www.suneil.net

I shoot, therefore I am.