The old forum in seach results

sevencrossingsevencrossing Posts: 2,800Member
edited June 2013 in General Discussions
***PLEASE DO A FORUM SEARCH BEFORE STARTING NEW THREADS

Those us, who remember ,Niko Doby will be very sensitive to this

but if you do a search; the odds are you will be sent to the old forum, which is locked

new members will find this confusing, to say the least

Having been nearly banned for starting a new thread on an existing topic I am very reluctant to start new threads

is it time to remove the old forum from the search engine?
Post edited by sevencrossing on

Comments

• MsmotoMsmoto Posts: 5,398Moderator
    Working on this....
    Msmoto, mod
  • kyoshinikonkyoshinikon Posts: 411Member
    How do you find the old forum? I remember Nikodoby and his hello kitty gun... Whatever happened?
    “To photograph is to hold one’s breath, when all faculties converge to capture fleeting reality. It’s at that precise moment that mastering an image becomes a great physical and intellectual joy.” - Bresson
    edited June 2013
    From any page one can see a link on the right hand column just below "Who's Online" under Links: Old [NR] Forum
    http://nikonrumors.com/forum/
    Post edited by Msmoto on
    Msmoto, mod
  • sevencrossingsevencrossing Posts: 2,800Member
    Working on this....
    any progress?

edited July 2014
    If one wants to see old forum content, I think it is here:

http://nikonrumors.com/forum/

See if this works and let me know….
    Post edited by Msmoto on
    Msmoto, mod
    Working on this....
    Any progress ?

Well, if one goes to the link above, signs in, or not, then does a search using the search function of the old forum, the results appear to be of the old forum. The same results are obtained if one searches and older topic.

At some point, administration may decide to take the old forum offline, or in same way block it from searches on the new forum. But, for some of us who have old content on the web, as I do on my website from 2009, there is something about eliminating this which we find difficult to do....from my emotional experience, that is.

I will check and see if any decisions have been made as to accessing the old forum via search functions.

Msmoto, mod
    edited May 2015
    If I was new to nrf and wanted to ask about a problem with my D800
    I am told First do a seach

All the seach results point to closed threads on the old forum
    As someone new, I am unlikely to know there are two forums

I not sure if admin wants to attract new members

If they do , the default search, should not point to closed threads

If admin does not want new members, then directing them to closed threads seems an excellent way of discouraging them

• IronheartIronheart Posts: 3,017Moderator
    It is not possible that all of the results point to closed threads. Perhaps you mean the first results? You know there is a second page, and a third, and.... In fact there are 7,200 results if you type in "D800".
    edited May 2015
    You know there is a second page, and a third, and....
    Yes I do indeed know that
    but then I have been a member of nrf for several years

My point is. We are not making life easy for potential new members
    but may be, that is intentional

I fully agree on the issue of search function, but this is not something I can control. I have passed along the info to those who count, and if it is possible to change things, then I suspect an improvement will be made. Until then....
    Msmoto, mod
    edited May 2015
    I have passed along the info to those who count,
    Thank you

Is there any chance of those who count responding to my question ?
  • spraynprayspraynpray Posts: 6,545Moderator

I not sure if admin wants to attract new members

If admin does not want new members, then directing them to closed threads seems an excellent way of discouraging them

My point is. We are not making life easy for potential new members
    but may be, that is intentional
    [-X

Inaccurate, unnecessary, counter productive and - well - just plain stupid things to say. If you want to say such things, send a PM - don't publicly snipe. Positive, helpful attitudes are much more productive and also result in others thinking better of you.
    Always learning.
  • funtagraphfuntagraph Posts: 265Member
    Helpful attitudes are as useless as provocative ones - there already was an - unanswered by mods or board - thread "when to open a new thread", now we read in this one things like "I have passed along the info to those who count" meaning "simple members don't count". And speaking of helpful attitudes @spraynpray: how about getting the knowledge necessary to use the search in a more productive way and post it to us? Instead of trying to regulate and treat others like stupid kids? Maybe you try once to imagine how much or less I care what others think of me - better or worse is not my problem as well as it is not your problem what I think about you or anybody.

How often I read "do a forum search first" and looking at the search results, it's just a shame.

Now you can ban me - it's useless because I'm already off. Bye.
    edited May 2015
    If you want to say such things, send a PM - don't publicly snipe. .
    No snipe to Ms Moto or any other Mod intended

I well aware the mods do not control the forum

If I knew "those who count" are, I would be happy send them a PM

funtagraph Now you can ban me - it's useless because I'm already off. Bye.

IMHO we losing members faster than we are gaining them

which I find very sad
    edited May 2015
    Funtagraph is really JJ_SO anyway... :))
    If we could prioritize the new forum over the old one, what else would you change about the search? It's just a google custom search, there is really nothing else going on.
    Post edited by Ironheart on
    At the moment, the possibility of including the ability to search either the new forum or the old is being looked into as there is a lot of useful info on the old forum for the many members who have older models.
    Always learning.
    edited May 2015
    what else would you change about the search?.
    Existing members are aware of the search weakness and will eventually find what they are seeking, perhaps by coming out of nrf and going to Google's advance search

I think we need to make it easier for members to ask a question, without finding their thread closed with in seconds

Ironheart
    In fact there are 7,200 results if you type in "D800".

With 7,200 search results to choose from, new members are going to be confused

Would it be possible to offer a custom search
    Open threads, Titles only, Last x months

My issue is not so much the search box but the fear of having a thread closed, just when it gets interesting

edited May 2015
    what else would you change about the search?.
    Existing members are aware of the search weakness and will eventually find what they are seeking, perhaps by coming out of nrf and going to Google's advance search

I think we need to make it easier for members to ask a question, without finding their thread closed with in seconds

Ironheart
    In fact there are 7,200 results if you type in "D800".

With 7,200 search results to choose from, new members are going to be confused

Would it be possible to offer a custom search

My issue is not so much the search box but the fear of having a thread closed, just when it gets interesting
    Actually, where there is an open thread moderators tend to move the question to the relevant thread and close the new one after explaining what they've done. Your stated issue doesn't seem to be something that happens very often at all. Can you give me an example of a 'thread that got closed just when it got interesting' that got closed without the content being moved to the correct thread?

Also, if your interest is anything at all to do with D800, then you will have plenty to read, but if you type in D800 AF, the most relevant (near the top) results are there to see.

This is a mature forum so it has lots of threads. When searching, you can either have few threads to look through each of which could be anything to do with that model, or you have lots of threads to search before you find those more relevant to the specific question.

EDIT: Incidentally, I note the search results are totally confused by member's habit of listing their equipment in their signature line. For example D800 AF has a D800 thread with an AF lens in the signature line influencing it's relevance to the search.

Members should delete gear lists in their signature line to improve search results.
    Post edited by spraynpray on
    Always learning.
    edited May 2015

Members should delete gear lists in their signature line to improve search results.
    I removed my D400 a while ago
    Personally, find it useful to know if a person owns the gear they are commenting on

This issue could be resolved by my suggestion

A custom search box
    OK, but you are the main complainer about the search function so maybe you need to choose what is most useful to you. Also, I would have thought it would be image quality that would interest you more than a gear list?
    Always learning.
    edited May 2015
    OK, but you are the main complainer about the search function
    I am only commenting in respect of

Do a search before starting a new thread command

that is the only time I try (and fail) to find an existing relevant thread, before starting a new one

It is very clear my posts are not welcome

so may be I should should join pitchblack at Loch Ness

I have sent you a PM @sevencrossing.
    Always learning.
    edited May 2015
    https://www.google.com/search?as_qdr=m&as_occt=title&as_sitesearch=nikonrumors.com

This will search nikonrumors for the past month, titles only. Easy peasy, lemon squeezy

Gives 3 hits only for a search on "d800" It would be trivial to add a few of these type of links to the "Please do a search..." thread

It would also be possible to add these sorts of options to the search function on the page. If Peter wants to reach out to me, I'd be happy to help.
    Post edited by Ironheart on
    That's very cool Ironheart, thanks.
    Always learning.