D 800 must-have accessories

Comments

• mmfishmmfish Posts: 19Member
    Thanks for the suggestions, taking a few pictures with each will answer any questions.
  • Vipmediastar_JZVipmediastar_JZ Posts: 1,708Member
    Which remote release works on the D800? I have one from my N90s.
    Since mine died I looked at several options.
    Vello has a cheap remote for 8.00
    Ubertronix has a cheap version of the vello/Nikon wired interval remote
    triggertrap has a mobile remote to connect to your android or ios device.
    And finally wireless
    I like the RFN4 S found on amazon.
    I'm getting the triggertrap mobile. Lots of feature for a "wired remote"
    for the times that it is not convenient to connect to my phone I'll pick up a secondary remote as well
  • Golf007sdGolf007sd Posts: 2,840Moderator
    I too have the RFN-4s Wireless Remote Shutter Release. It is fantastic.
    D4 & D7000 | Nikon Holy Trinity Set + 105 2.8 Mico + 200 F2 VR II | 300 2.8G VR II, 10.5 Fish-eye, 24 & 50 1.4G, 35 & 85 1.8G, 18-200 3.5-5.6 VR I SB-400 & 700 | TC 1.4E III, 1.7 & 2.0E III, 1.7 | Sigma 35 & 50 1.4 DG HSM | RRS Ballhead & Tripods Gear | Gitzo Monopod | Lowepro Gear | HDR via Promote Control System |
  • mmfishmmfish Posts: 19Member
    So no need for UT-1 and WT-5A to remotely control shutter? It appears that's for data transfer, anyone use these?
    I too have the RFN-4s Wireless Remote Shutter Release. It is fantastic.
    I decided on that remote. I need to do self portraits and self family portraits soon. So that will be on order. I probably will the cheap wired vello as backup.

If I ever need two cameras for a shoot I'll set one up for wireless and face detection using liveview.

Another thing to add is hand sanitizer.
  • Mac_The_KnifeMac_The_Knife Posts: 19Member
    Hand sanitizer? You allow someone else to fondle your equipment?
    D70s
    D90
    Mamiya 60
    Hand sanitizer? You allow someone else to fondle your equipment?
    Sometimes I need to take a break. Eat a snack, sweat, need to change lens, need to put/remove filter etc..
    And when there is no bathroom nearby the hand sanitizer does the job
  • studio460studio460 Posts: 205Member
    Actually, I have these on all my FX bodies, and find them essential to glare-free shooting--I highly recommend them:

1. NIkon DK-17 magnifying eyepiece
    2. Hoodman HoodEYE eyecup (the Nikon DK-19 constantly "folds over")
    3. Hoodman Hoodloupe 3

I wear the Hoodloupe around my neck whenever I shoot on its lanyard. I forgot to take it to Hawaii last year, and I couldn't see anything! So, I've sworn to wear it whenever I've shooting now. This allows me to check exposure/focus in bright daylight. The optical quality of the Hoodloupe is actually quite poor (the Zacuto is much better, but also far pricier), but it serves to block out ambient light so you can see the rear LCD.
  • PB_PMPB_PM Posts: 4,494Member

I feel the exact opposite about this. I love that the DK-19 folds back, thanks to softer rubber. I had a hoodman for my D300 and hated how stiff and inflexible it was. The Hoodman also left marks on my glasses, the Nikon does not. :D
    If I take a good photo it's not my camera's fault.
    edited July 2013
    Bnh doesnt have specs so they couldn't answer this. Would the following bag fit the d800 w sigma 35? No extra pockets or space needed.
    http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/search?Ntt=NIFMB34&N=0&InitialSearch=yes&sts=ma&Top+Nav-Search=

I like the messenger bag and right I outfitted a cheap standard messenger bag that I got for free with a cologne purchase and placed the innards of a slingshot bag for padding. Works great but I have extra space.

Google or nikonusa came back with zero informative results
    Post edited by Vipmediastar_JZ on
  • JJ_SOJJ_SO Posts: 1,158Member
    How could one tell without the specific dimensions?
    Elementary. The admin usually has an inside scoop on items. I figured he or somebody might know.
  • IronheartIronheart Posts: 3,017Moderator
    It's backorded anyway...
  • AdeAde Posts: 1,071Member
    This is the bag:

However, I believe that particular bag has been discontinued, and you can find less expensive bags from Lowepro, etc., of similar or higher quality.
    edited July 2013
    Thanks for the youtube link. Looks like it would work for my purpose when I'm wearing a suit and need to look stylish.
    I ll look at other bags if that is discontinued.

I would have never thought to look in youtube.

I had faith somebody had more info on the bag. Thanks NRF
    Post edited by Vipmediastar_JZ on
    My local Wal-Mart said they had the Nikon messenger bag. Well they didn't actually it was another Nikon bag. I tried it and liked it. It fit the d800 and sigma 35 nicely with space for one lens or flash. It's sturdy but I didn't keep it. The dual clips are sturdy and hard to unclip on a moment's notice.

I am now trying the SwissGear - ZINC Messenger bag. It's small and room for one lens or flash and even an iPad. It also has a spot for a water bottle. I think I found a bag I'm happy for everyday use.
  • proudgeekproudgeek Posts: 1,422Member
    Thought I'd piggyback on this thread for my question. After several months of hemming and hawing, this is the week for me to order my D800. The question is which package to buy.
    I can get the body only for one price. For another, slightly higher price, I can get a body with a range of accessories, including a 3rd-party battery grip, a couple of extra 3rd-party batteries, an 600x SD card, and a few other odds and ends, some of which I'd end up buying anyway, like a screen protector.
    Given the price of the body, I'm pretty happy to save a few bucks on this package. But do things like the 3rd-party grips really work? Anyone have any experience with these packages, good or bad?
  • KillerbobKillerbob Posts: 732Member
    I am sure some of the 3rd party accessories work just fine, but there are examples of where these have failed miserably. Especially the battery grip has been mentioned a few times. Also the batteries have a so-so history...
    @proudgeek: My friend kkanuck got this battery grip for his D800 and so far he is very happy with its performance. For screen protector have a look at this and see what you think.
    D4 & D7000 | Nikon Holy Trinity Set + 105 2.8 Mico + 200 F2 VR II | 300 2.8G VR II, 10.5 Fish-eye, 24 & 50 1.4G, 35 & 85 1.8G, 18-200 3.5-5.6 VR I SB-400 & 700 | TC 1.4E III, 1.7 & 2.0E III, 1.7 | Sigma 35 & 50 1.4 DG HSM | RRS Ballhead & Tripods Gear | Gitzo Monopod | Lowepro Gear | HDR via Promote Control System |
  • proudgeekproudgeek Posts: 1,422Member
    edited August 2013
    The grip looks very similar to what I'm looking at (from Vello), which retails for about the same price.
    Post edited by proudgeek on
  • FlowtographyBerlinFlowtographyBerlin Posts: 477Member
    This is the bag:
    Is that you, your video? It's hilarious how you attach the lens to the body in the beginning! It's exactly how it looks when I'm doing it:

Fiddle around with the stupid lens cap, uh no, other direction... try to attach lens to body, but while fiddling with the lens cap accidentially turned the lens the wrong way so having to look for the right spot to get it hooked to the body.... man... where is it.... ok, other direction... ok now turn, uh no, Nikon so wrong way.... there you go.

Even after a over a year of having switched back to Nikon, I haven't figured it out.
  • FlowtographyBerlinFlowtographyBerlin Posts: 477Member

I feel the exact opposite about this. I love that the DK-19 folds back, thanks to softer rubber.
    Mee too. Love the DK-19.
    @PitchBlack: DIY is not something an end user can buy off the shelf. Unless you are willing to give out the details in making one. :P
  • spraynprayspraynpray Posts: 6,545Moderator
    Whaaat? Throwing body and lenses into a bag without padded dividers? That is just nuts.
    Always learning.
  • PB_PMPB_PM Posts: 4,494Member
    Whaaat? Throwing body and lenses into a bag without padded dividers? That is just nuts.
    I'd say not wise, but nuts no. What's the point of having a high end body like the D800 if it cannot take a few bumps and knocks?
    If I take a good photo it's not my camera's fault.