Recommendation for a high end compact camera

Comments

• tganiatstganiats Posts: 131Member
    What about the Leica D-Lux 6? I see it's f/1.4, 24-90 (35mm equivalent), ISO to 12800...on paper fits the bill of many here (except limited telephoto). But I don't know quality...
  • henrik1963henrik1963 Posts: 567Member
    For most of the snapshots I do I don't really need my D800. But I like it as a tool. It just works and I know that I am the limiting factor :-) That is why I carry it when I go for a sunday walk 5-10 km or for everything else where I think a camera might come in handy. I have gotten used to carry it over my left shoulder. I have smaller cameras but I like the way a big DSLR makes taking photos so easy.

The rest of the time I use my iPhone 5s - the more I use it the more I realize that the classic pocket camera is dead.

There is a gap between a D800 and an iPhone. But if I feel the iPhone is not up to the task I don't take the Olympus E-p1 for a walk - it is the D800.

I think my point is that both Fuji, Olympus and all the rest are making damn good cameras but if I want a real camera D800 is it.

You want a real camera - only you want it in a small box. But small box makes it not a real camera :-)

I have not found a camera to fill the gap - The Fuji X-E2 comes very close - but it is not small enough to fit in a pocket. And at the end of the day it is no more taxing to carry a D800 + 50 1.8G or a 24-70 2.8 - not when you take into account what you give up in performance.

Nikon 1 V2 might close the gap - but it is to expensive for what you get IMO.

I will end my ramblings - I guess we are in the same boat - looking for a D800 in a smaller box.

All the best
  • WestEndBoyWestEndBoy Posts: 1,456Member
    edited January 2014
    I always want the best possible camera with me but there are times I can only have a camera that fits in my suit pocker, thus the Coolpix a which is far superior to my wife's I Phone. Even she sees that as she brings the Coolpx A when she goes out with friends and leaves the IPhone in her pocket.
    Post edited by WestEndBoy on
  • mb68hhmb68hh Posts: 1Member
    Do you want a camera with an APS-C-Sensor, a very, very sharp lens without color fringing and absolut low distortion, no anti aliasing filter and a small body, that fits in the pocket of your jeans? Good - take a Ricoh GR and be happy!
  • NSXTypeRNSXTypeR Posts: 2,287Member
    What about the Leica D-Lux 6? I see it's f/1.4, 24-90 (35mm equivalent), ISO to 12800...on paper fits the bill of many here (except limited telephoto). But I don't know quality...
    You might as well get a Panasonic LX7, it's just a rebranded Panny camera. It should be good too.
    Nikon D7000/ Nikon D40/ Nikon FM2/ 18-135 AF-S/ 35mm 1.8 AF-S/ 105mm Macro AF-S/ 50mm 1.2 AI-S
  • MsmotoMsmoto Posts: 5,398Moderator
    @mb68hh

Yes, the Ricoh is impressive, but the inability to add an eye level finder is a deal breaker for me. I do like the idea of shutter in the lens….
    Msmoto, mod
  • sevencrossingsevencrossing Posts: 2,800Member
    edited January 2014
    I would prefer a full frame compact but as this seems very expensive / difficult I might consider Dx especially as so many of you are raving about the D7100 but IMHO aps-c is only a tad better than a smart phone

edit I afraid I got CX and APS muddled up
    Post edited by sevencrossing on
  • IronheartIronheart Posts: 3,017Moderator
    edited January 2014
    IMHO aps-c is only a tad better than a smart phone
    Wow. I guess all of us DX shooters should take our toys and go home :(( Perhaps that should have been IMNSHO :)>-
    Post edited by Ironheart on
    I would love a full frame compact with an F-mount to, but it will never fit in a pocket.
  • TaoTeJaredTaoTeJared Posts: 1,306Member
    I would prefer a full frame compact but as this seems very expensive / difficult
    I might consider Dx especially as so many of you are raving about the D7100
    but IMHO aps-c is only a tad better than a smart phone
    There is a huge gap between a smart phone and even compacts in IQ. Phones are not close in anything but the brightest of days to compacts, and even then their DR is less than 8 stops. The reason they are taking compacts over is because they are "there" and you don't have to carry anything more, not because they are good.
    <<i> One goal you have left out is what is the "end useQuestion is, what do .....you want to give up?

I want to give up carrying a big heavy D800
    every one keeps banging on about Dx is getting close to FX quality
    I am now fully retired, so photos are for my own satisfaction
    but I am used to D800 quality
    I want a camera that is always with me that will capture that stunning rainbow or sunset , that is only there for seconds
    Just bough a flipside 300 which allows me to carry the 800 and the 24 -120 f 4 most of the time
    If it is just for your own satisfaction, that really opens up the options.

•First question to answer is do you want a fixed focal length or zoom/interchangeable option. Then ask if you want/need to change lenses. If you are honest with those, then your options will become more apparent.

•One thing I have noticed is that 16mp-ish does actually seem to be a threshold where I don't long for more resolution. 12mp and below does seems to be too low.
    •Bodies are fine if they are small, but one must account for the body and lens for the "pocket-ability"
    •Focusing with them really isn't as bad as reviewers say. I keep in mind those that say they are bad, probably just came from using/reviewing high end DSLRs.
    •Expect great IQ from iso 400 on down. Then the IQ falls exponentially (in correlation to sensor size) in IQ in comparison to the D800.

Really from what I have played with, only Sony Nex system (Alpha A5000 looks interesting) with 16-50mm Lens or a Panasonic GF6 & GM1 w/ 14-42 (new small style) fit the bill well for a pocket-able camera with high IQ. I have also really liked the Olympus PEN E-PM1 just for the fact of the sensor shift IS system it has. I really want to like the Nikon 1 system but the prices and IQ above iso 400 is not there for me.

To be honest I keep an eye on the Canon PowerShot G1 X prices. I have really liked the images that have come from it and something like that keeps GAS (gear acquisition syndrome) at bay.
    D800, D300, D50(ir converted), FujiX100, Canon G11, Olympus TG2. Nikon lenses - 24mm 2.8, 35mm 1.8, (5 in all)50mm, 60mm, 85mm 1.8, 105vr, 105 f2.5, 180mm 2.8, 70-200vr1, 24-120vr f4. Tokina 12-24mm, 16-28mm, 28-70mm (angenieux design), 300mm f2.8. Sigma 15mm fisheye. Voigtlander R2 (olive) & R2a, Voigt 35mm 2.5, Zeiss 50mm f/2, Leica 90mm f/4. I know I missed something...
  • haroldpharoldp Posts: 984Member
    I am using the Fuji XE-1 as a lightweight alternative. The lenses are excellent and I now use it for subjects that do not move too fast (Pompeii, Ayers Rock etc.). ISO 1600 is very good, but autofocus is not in the D800 (or D200) league.

.. H
    D810, D3x, 14-24/2.8, 50/1.4D, 24-70/2.8, 24-120/4 VR, 70-200/2.8 VR1, 80-400 G, 200-400/4 VR1, 400/2.8 ED VR G, 105/2 DC, 17-55/2.8.
    Nikon N90s, F100, F, lots of Leica M digital and film stuff.

• sevencrossingsevencrossing Posts: 2,800Member
    edited January 2014

no offence intend, post corrected

Post edited by sevencrossing on
  • PhotobugPhotobug Posts: 5,751Member
    For a pocket camera, the new Coolpix 7800 appears to provide nice zoom range and good image quality.

http://www.nikonusa.com/en/Nikon-Products/Product/Compact-Digital-Cameras/26427/COOLPIX-P7800.html

My wife uses the P6000, several models back, when she needs something for her purse and it fits into a shirt pocket very nicely.

The Coolpix A is good solution. It comes down to where do you want to comprise.
    D750 & D7100 | 24-70 F2.8 G AF-S ED, 70-200 F2.8 AF VR, TC-14E III, TC-1.7EII, 35 F2 AF D, 50mm F1.8G, 105mm G AF-S VR | Backup & Wife's Gear: D5500 & Sony HX50V | 18-140 AF-S ED VR DX, 55-300 AF-S G VR DX |
    |SB-800, Amaran Halo LED Ring light | MB-D16 grip| Gitzo GT3541 + RRS BH-55LR, Gitzo GM2942 + Sirui L-10 | RRS gear | Lowepro, ThinkTank, & Hoodman gear | BosStrap | Vello Freewave Plus wireless Remote, Leica Lens Cleaning Cloth |
    Well if you're willing to pay about $1000, the new Sony RX100 MkIII would be very nice. You get a 24-70 f1.8 to 2.8 lens.

http://www.dpreview.com/news/2014/05/16/sony-cyber-shot-dsc-rx100-iii-first-impressions-review
    Nikon D7000/ Nikon D40/ Nikon FM2/ 18-135 AF-S/ 35mm 1.8 AF-S/ 105mm Macro AF-S/ 50mm 1.2 AI-S
  • Golf007sdGolf007sd Posts: 2,840Moderator
    D4 & D7000 | Nikon Holy Trinity Set + 105 2.8 Mico + 200 F2 VR II | 300 2.8G VR II, 10.5 Fish-eye, 24 & 50 1.4G, 35 & 85 1.8G, 18-200 3.5-5.6 VR I SB-400 & 700 | TC 1.4E III, 1.7 & 2.0E III, 1.7 | Sigma 35 & 50 1.4 DG HSM | RRS Ballhead & Tripods Gear | Gitzo Monopod | Lowepro Gear | HDR via Promote Control System |
  • roombarobotroombarobot Posts: 201Member

I've been tempted by a pocketable camera lately too. About the only truly pocketable that I have been considering is the RX100 series. The first one is still terrific, much cheaper, and it is actually smaller since it doesn't have the flippy LCD. The RX100 III has the cool viewfinder, which is a huge plus to me.

Then there are a slew of semi-pocketable ones. Two that intrigue me are the Canon GX1 and the Fuji X20. The first-generation GX1 even has an optical viewfinder, which is a huge plus for me. The GX1 has a 1.5" sensor, which is almost APS-C sized, which is terrific.

Happy shopping!
  • TriShooterTriShooter Posts: 219Member
    Discounting the little Nikon 1 V1, and its kin, for low light landscape shots is probably from people that do not own the Nikon 1 series cameras with the wide angle VR lens, or the 32mm f/1.2 lens.

The little Nikon 1 series with its NIKKOR 6.7-13mm f/3.5-5.6 VR (Black) which is 500 bucks on a Nikon V1 is a killer night landscape lens. Night time landscape, and dark interior shots at 18mm 35mm format equivalent with this lens are easily shot at speeds of 1/3 of a second, or longer with images that are as sharp as tack.

Depends on what you are shooting of course, but the Nikon 1 Series is better than people think in low light with its VR system on the above lens because of shooting at a lower ISO than other cameras.

The 32mm f/1.2 on the Nikon 1 is a killer little lens. They also make the relatively inexpensive 18mm f/1.8, and will soon have a dynamite fast focusing birds lens that will be easy to hand hold out to 800mm. Expensive equipment, but it works, and it now has 11 lens offerings in the lineup. Worth playing with one before buying.
    The only thing about the Nikon 1 is that it's not really a small camera replacement- you still have lenses. Sure you could take just one, but then that sort of defeats the purpose of the camera.

If I wanted a small camera, I wouldn't want to change lenses anyway.

But it is a might good camera that's a tad expensive.
  • roombarobotroombarobot Posts: 201Member

The Nikon 1 is not pocketable, nor are the 2 micro-4/3 cameras I have. It seems that once you have an interchangable lens camera, it is not pocketable, and it could be argued that one might as well take your SLR (for much better pictures).

Personally I have a huge temptation to get a compact camera, but I should just be using my D800E.

The Nikon 1 is not pocketable, nor are the 2 micro-4/3 cameras I have. It seems that once you have an interchangable lens camera, it is not pocketable, and it could be argued that one might as well take your SLR (for much better pictures).

Personally I have a huge temptation to get a compact camera, but I should just be using my D800E.

That's my reasoning too- I take my DSLR for serious stuff, and more and more now I just use my phone for less serious stuff.

If I want a pocketable camera, I don't want to be fiddling with lenses.
    That is why I like my Coolpix A. It is pocketable and with its DX sensor and superb lens, takes better pictures than any CX or Micro-Four thirds camera can. The only downside is that you can only shoot at 28mm in 35mm equivalent.
  • GarethGareth Posts: 159Member
    The new RX100 MKIII looks soooooo much better than the previous models.

That said, I just bought an AW1. Not that compact, but it does things nothing else can.
  • blandbland Posts: 812Member
    Canon's Power Shot S series is really good. The Power Shot S120 or S100, S92 and etc, they're all basically the same the camera.
    Canon's Power Shot S series is really good. The Power Shot S120 or S100, S92 and etc, they're all basically the same the camera.
    I used to recommend that camera too... but then the Sony RX100 came out.

And besides, I have a natural grudge against Canon. :D