D800 top LCD badly damaged + AF doesnt work + shutter release doesnt function -

2»

Comments

• JJ_SOJJ_SO Posts: 1,158Member
    edited August 2013
    @Creativepixelz you could also think about of selling the wreck on eBay as "broken, only for spareparts!" And get a new D800. Maybe it really is not as bad as it looks but if it comes to the worst, you would get a repaired cam at the price close to a new one with some possible flaws of what the service didn't see. I don't think, they have all possibilities to run checks like the production unit has.

I read that some of those "for repair purposes only!" Items get good prices on eBay.

After all, it's only plastics and metals, good to read nobody got hurt. Just make sure next time to use some weight under the tripod. Msmoto has some fantastic ideas about sandsacks and she described it somewhere here in the forum. Do a search.
    Post edited by JJ_SO on
  • CreativepixelzCreativepixelz Posts: 13Member
    @Creativepixelz you could also think about of selling the wreck on eBay as "broken, only for spareparts!" And get a new D800. Maybe it really is not as bad as it looks but if it comes to the worst, you would get a repaired cam at the price close to a new one with some possible flaws of what the service didn't see. I don't think, they have all possibilities to run checks like the production unit has.

I read that some of those "for repair purposes only!" Items get good prices on eBay.

After all, it's only plastics and metals, good to read nobody got hurt. Just make sure next time to use some weight under the tripod. Msmoto has some fantastic ideas about sandsacks and she described it somewhere here in the forum. Do a search.
    Noted buddy, let me see the extent of damage once inspected and also the cost that would be incurred. Will update you all for further discussion once i get the quote. Thanks a lot

• MsmotoMsmoto Posts: 5,398Moderator
    I think I might just send the body in and get it repaired.....one never knows the circuitry which may be damaged and could create other issues.
    Msmoto, mod
  • ChasCSChasCS Posts: 309Member
    edited October 2013
    Vanguard Tripods makes a decent "Stone Bag" for adding weight to a tripod.

The Velcro straps make it easy to apply or remove it as needed.
    Aside from the hook at the bottom of the tripod centre pole to hang your gear, the SB can be used to stow your gear as well as provide some added stability.

I will likely spring for one, later in the coming new year.
    I'm happy/lucky to gave discovered Vanguard, before dropping a bundle on an inferior product.
    Post edited by adamz on
    D800, AF-S NIKKOR 80-400mm f/4.5-5.6G ED VR, B+W Clear MRC 77mm, AF-S NIKKOR 24-120mm f/4G ED VR, Sigma DG UV 77mm,
    SB-910~WG-AS3, SB-50, ME-1, Lexar Professional 600x 64GB SDXC UHS-I 90MB/s* x2, 400x 32GB SDHC UHS-I 60MB/s* x1
    Vanguard ALTA PRO 263AT, GH-300T, SBH-250, SBH-100, PH-22 Panhead
    Lowepro S&F Deluxe Technical Belt and Harness ~ Pouch 60 AW 50 AW & 10, S&F Toploader 70 AW, Lens Case 11 x 26cm
    FE, NIKKOR 2-20mm f/1.8, OPTEX UV 52mm, Vivitar Zoom 285, Kodacolor VR 1000 CF 135-24 EXP DX 35mm, rePlay XD1080

• adamzadamz Posts: 842Moderator
    @Creativepixelz - have you managed to get your camera fixed? As it was mentioned before, I've paid 303.50euro net at Nikon Germany in Dusseldorf (Nikon, thank you once again for fixing my camera in 4hours on my way back home). in my case the whole top cover was replaced, so was the glass and lcd. parts were app 50% of the overall cost. if you can find someone to fix the camera, you can get the parts directly from ebay for even less than I paid for them. the AF problem might be related to broken wire between the buttons and body, can be a fast and easy repair, that will add maybe 20-30 usd to the overall price. one thing you need to be sure is to let nikon check the AF as with such a hit it might be slightly misaligned.
  • JohnJohn Posts: 134Member
    I would suggest not to use the camera until it is repaired.
    You don't want to damage it any further.
    (Suppose the shutter is damaged and using it causes even more damage)
    That being said I have read about camera's with horrendous damage being repaired.
    The D800 has a strong internal metal frame and good, solid build quality.
    The only possible problem might be the cost of the repair. If it costs more then a new D800 then it would be pointless to repair it.
    Just get it over to Nikon for an extimate.

I wish you and your camera all the best and hope that it will be repaired quickly and without high cost.