Post Your Custom Settings

2»

Comments

• JJ_SOJJ_SO Posts: 1,158Member
    edited January 2013
    Anyway, short form: Thanks to this forum I know how to access the banks with the info button.
    Still, it's possible to change the settings unwillingly and since there are a lot and not much overview, it's easy to create a mess with more or less annoying consequences.
    It doesn't happen so often as it did when I got the cam new.
    Sometimes I just want to be able to start freshly from the old point, instead of checking the parameters over again.
    It's from the stone age when we printed dymo-tapes with wheel-printers, to put in the name for the bank just to identify it.
    Some settings are advanced, others basic. It's no piece of cake to navigate through them.
    Post edited by JJ_SO on
    Yeah that happens sometimes, don't delete anything next time, the apparent double post goes away when you refresh the page.
    Thanks for confirmation. I'll keep that in mind.

• PB_PMPB_PM Posts: 4,494Member
    edited January 2013
    No doubt, I guess over time I've just got used to the way Nikon has laid out the menu and how it acts. Out of the hundreds of possible settings there are only a few that I change on a regular basis (within the banks) so it's not an issue for me. In fact the only setting I turn on and off on a regular basis is auto ISO, anything else and I just change banks.
    Post edited by PB_PM on
    If I take a good photo it's not my camera's fault.
    Auto-ISO is another topic on my "to be discovered"-list. One after another... 8->
  • sidewayssideways Posts: 54Member
    D800 : Many options adjusted as necessary but I chose to assign :
    Multiselector centre button resets focus point to centre in shoot mode and toggles max zoom on focus point on/off in playback (lets me check focus).
    Assigned Fn button (3rd finger right hand) to spot meter (i normally shoot matrix, so this lets me expose for a distant object if i'm at full zoom
    Assigned DoF Preview (2nd finger right hand) to bring up the viewfinder virtual horizon (use this often as my horizons were never level, but don't want VH on all the time).
    I also have exp comp, etc setup with + to the right.

On "my menu" , my top two entries turn the viewfinder grid on/off and autofocus point illumination on/off.
    I prefer unlit af points in daylight but the camera is able to focus in light low enough that I can't see the af point in the viewfinder so need to light them up.
    When shooting DX lenses I prefer the camera to grey out the area outside the DX crop. On the D800 this option is combined with the selection of viewfinder grid off. This is a design fail. It should be a totally independent selection.
  • PB_PMPB_PM Posts: 4,494Member
    edited January 2013
    @sideways Crop mode works that way with all Nikon FX cameras, most likely due to the fact that the grid is larger than the crop area.
    Post edited by PB_PM on
    If I take a good photo it's not my camera's fault.
  • spraynprayspraynpray Posts: 6,545Moderator
    I have reported that on the problem thread ~X(
    Always learning.