Filters for the Nikon 14-24mm lens

Comments

• Golf007sdGolf007sd Posts: 2,840Moderator
    edited April 2014
    Both Adamz and I had some real good hands on experience with this filter kit. I have to give a big tumps up. It is very well make and the results are outstanding. In fact, I just order the ND32 (5-stop) for it.

The only issue I have come across is that at the very wide end, hence, 14 mm...you will have a bit of some vignetting. Which is a very easy fix in post. It totally goes away by 16mm.

Have a look at this set on my Flickr account for your own interpretation: Nikon 14-24 /w Wonderpana
    Post edited by Golf007sd on
    D4 & D7000 | Nikon Holy Trinity Set + 105 2.8 Mico + 200 F2 VR II | 300 2.8G VR II, 10.5 Fish-eye, 24 & 50 1.4G, 35 & 85 1.8G, 18-200 3.5-5.6 VR I SB-400 & 700 | TC 1.4E III, 1.7 & 2.0E III, 1.7 | Sigma 35 & 50 1.4 DG HSM | RRS Ballhead & Tripods Gear | Gitzo Monopod | Lowepro Gear | HDR via Promote Control System |
  • paulrpaulr Posts: 1,176Member
    Still happy , the only downside if there is one, is keeping the filters clean,but so far no scratches or marks have appeared. I see they have brought a filter system for the GoPro camera too.
    Camera, Lens and Tripod and a few other Bits
  • cowleystjamescowleystjames Posts: 74Member
    Having seen the Fotodiox Wonderpane filter on NR. I purchased this adapter and lens filter. Very good service from the manufacture with delivery in less than 5 days from America to UK. First impressions were its big, results seem quite pleasing however tested it in not the best of conditions, certainly brings the greens out with good colour.More tests to follow in more pleasing conditions.

D3X with 135 Filter
    Did you get stung with Post Office charges and Customs? Really frustrates me that when I buy from the likes of RRS, huge charges are added in this country. Bought an RRS ball head and ended up with another £86 in VAT, Customs charges and Post Office fees!
    Just reading about this system and people are posting about severe vignetting at 14mm and that the Polariser is unusable at 14mm.
    Have you found this? I would dearly like to jump into this filter system but not at the expense of not being able to use it at 14mm, which is where I love using this lens.
  • WestEndBoyWestEndBoy Posts: 1,456Member
    edited April 2014
    Just reading about this system and people are posting about severe vignetting at 14mm and that the Polariser is unusable at 14mm.
    Have you found this? I would dearly like to jump into this filter system but not at the expense of not being able to use it at 14mm, which is where I love using this lens.
    It would be interesting to see why the polarizer is unusable. They are generally unusable on wide angles because the sky itself has varying degrees of polarization. If the vignetting is true and important to you, it defeats the purpose and you may as well buy the 17-35 2.8 or 16-35 4.0.

I struggled with the same thing. But if you want to use filters at 14mm, your options are limited. It occurred to me that for slightly more than the cost of a fully kitted filter system, I could buy the 20mm and 28mm manual focus lens in my signature. With step-up rings, they take all of my 77mm filters, which are my standard filter size except for the uv filter (lens protector).

This worked for me because I am using it for landscapes where I will always be shooting at f/8.0 with a tripod. Few (but some) landscape scenarios truly require wider than 20mm. These are old lenses (surprisingly still made) that have inferior image quality to the 14-24 2.8 and 16-35 4.0, except at f/8.0. If I want to go truly wide, I accept the fact that it won't involve filters.

Most people would not buy into my choice, but it was a choice made given the filter options on the 14-24. There is no perfect choice. Whatever you choose, there will be limitations, especially when Nikon is really pushing the envelope at 14mm.
    Post edited by WestEndBoy on
    edited April 2014
    @cowleystjames: Any UW lens, that is even remotely close the outstanding optics of the 14-24, will have some vignetting when a filter is placed upon it at its widest end...specially if it is an ND and/or CPL filter. But, as I said above, it is so easy to fix in post...like hitting a button in LR. The use of the word "severe" is also an exaggeration.

Lastly, the images of the cliff shots at beach had ALL of the following filters attached to 14-24: 3-stop ND + CPL & NDF. They all worked great together. I highly recommend this filter set.

D4 & D7000 | Nikon Holy Trinity Set + 105 2.8 Mico + 200 F2 VR II | 300 2.8G VR II, 10.5 Fish-eye, 24 & 50 1.4G, 35 & 85 1.8G, 18-200 3.5-5.6 VR I SB-400 & 700 | TC 1.4E III, 1.7 & 2.0E III, 1.7 | Sigma 35 & 50 1.4 DG HSM | RRS Ballhead & Tripods Gear | Gitzo Monopod | Lowepro Gear | HDR via Promote Control System |
  • WestEndBoyWestEndBoy Posts: 1,456Member
    Golf is right, hitting a button in Lightroom is dead easy and works like a charm.
  • spraynprayspraynpray Posts: 6,545Moderator
    @Golf007sd: There seems to be a certain 'look' to your images - a colour caste - is that something you have added in post or is it the filters you used?
    Always learning.
    I read earlier points regarding the vignetting on this lens so I tested it on my version, and just like it as been mentioned, one touch in Adobe Bridge removes any sign of vignetting at 14mm when used on a full frame camera, so certainly not an issue.
    edited April 2014
    @spraynpray: Hi there, would you be so kind and tell me which image you are referring to so I can provide you with what I have done to the image in post...thx.
  • spraynprayspraynpray Posts: 6,545Moderator
    I was thinking about ARN_4395.jpg in particular Ali. Upon looking again though on my calibrated PC, it may be the warmth of the light?
    Always learning.
    edited April 2014
    @spraynpray:

Here are the edits I made via LR on the image you asked about.

Screen Shot 2014-04-22 at 3.00.31 PM
  • LawsonLawson Posts: 4Member
    The vignetting at 14 mm is miniscule and is extremely easy to delete in post processing, if necessary. In short, filter system is absolutely superb. I can't imagine using the 14-24 lens without it quite frankly. HIGHLY recommended.
    Can anyone confirm that the polariser works ok? Quite a few posts on forums state it's unusable.
    The CPL work just fine. No different than any other.
  • KillerbobKillerbob Posts: 732Member
    @Golf007sd; did you ever get the filter holder upgraded to the FreeArc version? I have been using the WonderPana Pro version, and just realised that the rotatable is out there, and I am hoping it is possible to get the upgraded part stand-alone, and wonder where to find it. I looked at FotoDiox's webpages, and can't find it as an upgrade, and I am not shelling out another $275,-
    @Killerbob: Yes I did get the FreeArc many moons ago when they offered the upgrade for those that did not have it. To the best of my recollection it was like $90.
    hmmmm I just talked to FotoDiox and what a bunch of tossers... They will not sell me the "upgrade", and say I have to go back to Amazon (from whom I purchased the kit originally). Actually they didn't even have the upgrade kit anymore because... well ... just because.

It doesn't make sense that customer service can be that bad!
  • Vipmediastar_JZVipmediastar_JZ Posts: 1,708Member
    edited January 2015
    Here is something that I ran into a few months ago 3D printed holder
    Post edited by Vipmediastar_JZ on
    Interesting how people form an opinion of companies. I dealt with Fotodiox direct and i am in the UK, they could have not been more helpful, with quick response to questions fast delivery and even a special discounts for being a previous customer.
    Their products are good, and offer equipment that prime manufactures do not.
    Perhaps, and maybe it is because I purchased the kit from Amazon, but it is still a product they manufactured. When I got the kit I think I bought it via Amazon because they had no issue with shipping to Greenland.

I can appreciate they may not sell the upgrade anymore (I don't know why), but the customer service girl could at least offer me a sale then, but alas...
  • funtagraphfuntagraph Posts: 265Member
    Keep both in mind, @paulr and @killerbob, there has been some time between your individual purchases. Service people come and go and they do have some bandwidth in their decisions and knowledge. As for us customers, you can be lucky and get the first line pioneers who do everything for the client and you… well, no need to color the other picture.

I do have the 3D printed version. The guy who offers them has a 3d printer as kind of hobby, and on a quite high level. Within the limits of 3D-printing technique, it's well made and well thought. I could also choose to get it ready made or with some of the time consuming finishing done by myself. The guy makes one per day as the printing process takes time and he has a normal job as well.

It does what one can expect: holding filters and closing the light gap (for sidelight) between filter and holder. However it clearly has downsides: Although long time stability of the material should be good enough, it's still plastic and can break. I would not try to see how a Wonderpana looks like after a fall from tripod height, but the system itself is in my prejudice superior. I saved ½ or maybe ⅔ of the price of it.

Function itself is simple and straightforward. Push it on the lens from it's front side, see if the longer sides of the lenshood don't interfere with the filter, done. With some patience and trust in my tripod I can turn it but best would be remove, turn and fix again. There's one thing which is bothering: the black plastic is shiny and I'm not quite sure if it doesn't bounce some light back to the filter side. As the lens itself jumps on each chance it can get for a flare, those problems increase in direct front light. The resin ND 3.0 filter I got from formatt HiTech/Wales doesn't appear to be coated. It has either an impressive color drift. I need to find out how to calibrate whitebalance better. Or, third possibility, need to find a way to call psychedelic colors my new style :/

My summary: If one wants to experiment with filters on 14-24 but isn't it using much, the plastic holder is more comfortable than to hold the filter yourself. To me it doesn't matter that much if some pictures don't work out. If I need it professionally, I'd always go Wonderpana. Price is high, value as well.
  • MsmotoMsmoto Posts: 5,398Moderator
    As this thread has been given new life, I noted a comment about vignetting ....... As I understand it, very wide angle lenses are designed such that anything placed in front, which projects the threaded front most part of the lens in a forward direction will result in vignetting as it is simply being placed into the field of view. About the only filter one can use which does not vignette is one which is directly up against the forward most edge of the lens and does not in any way enter the FOV.

Reminds me of some of the NRF folks in Maine, freezing cold, holding these huge plates up against the front edge of the lens while the surf was crashing in and the wind was nearly blowing us over.....

Do you know this man?......LOL
    NRF_Hampton_V_03.29.14-7
    Msmoto, mod
  • PhotobugPhotobug Posts: 5,751Member
    The eyes don't look right for Ali. I don't know.
    D750 & D7100 | 24-70 F2.8 G AF-S ED, 70-200 F2.8 AF VR, TC-14E III, TC-1.7EII, 35 F2 AF D, 50mm F1.8G, 105mm G AF-S VR | Backup & Wife's Gear: D5500 & Sony HX50V | 18-140 AF-S ED VR DX, 55-300 AF-S G VR DX |
    |SB-800, Amaran Halo LED Ring light | MB-D16 grip| Gitzo GT3541 + RRS BH-55LR, Gitzo GM2942 + Sirui L-10 | RRS gear | Lowepro, ThinkTank, & Hoodman gear | BosStrap | Vello Freewave Plus wireless Remote, Leica Lens Cleaning Cloth |
  • kanuckkanuck Posts: 1,300Member
    edited January 2015
    I remember this thread from a few months ago. Good idea to update it to see how people have been getting on. I ended up buying the Lee SW-150 system with 3 filters. Lee 0.6, 0.9 ND filters and a Singh Ray 0.9 reverse graduated ND. The system has worked beautifully although I am interested to see the responses of those who have been using the Wonderpana 66 system, which I hear also quite good.
    Post edited by kanuck on