Quite grainy @ auto-iso 6400 on d7000 - Indoor sports

13»

Comments

• heartyfisherheartyfisher Posts: 3,186Member
    edited October 2013
    Found the section of data below from the the wiki page http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Film_speed

It lists the ISO in 1/3 stops ..

800/30°
    1000/31°
    1250/32°
    1600/33°
    2000/34°
    2500/35°
    3200/36°
    Post edited by heartyfisher on
    Moments of Light - D610 D7K S5pro 70-200f4 18-200 150f2.8 12-24 18-70 35-70f2.8 : C&C very welcome!
    Being a photographer is a lot like being a Christian: Some people look at you funny but do not see the amazing beauty all around them - heartyfisher.

• aquarian_lightaquarian_light Posts: 135Member
    Thanks @kyoshinikon
    that just made my day l
    D800E, 24-120 F4 VR, 50mm 1.8G, 85 1.8G, 28mm 3.5, 135mm 3.5
  • KeemoKeemo Posts: 11Member
    Whew! All of that is far outside my current knowledge base, but here's my latest news.

I've been spending more time in LR4, pushing some of the settings. I had a deadline to deliver some shots for a slideshow & the school yearbook for my daughter's volleyball team. They looked great (to my untrained eye) & the critics in my household. We'll see what the crowd thinks tomorrow a.m.

I was so frustrated with the amount of time spent on LR4, that I looked at the used D3s online but decided to to buy a Nikon refurbed D4 from Adorama for $4900. I received it last Thursday, but it had the wrong battery charger, so after a week, I finally convinced Adorama to swap it for me. It shipped this a.m. I also learned that my current memory cards for the D7000 won't work, but that's on me for not checking more closely.

Either way, I should be good to go with the D4 next week. Unfortunately, my other daughter has her state gymnastics meet this weekend, but I can suffer through another shoot with the d70000. Lol. It is a good camera, I just want to spend a little less time in LR. I'll be there early & work on the over/under exposure suggestions then.

Regarding the use of an 85 1.8, I hardly see how that would help at the distances I have to shoot. I hear it's a great lens, but not a solution for my circumstances.

I thank all of you for your time to make recommendations. Your advice is priceless & generosity overwhelming.

Keemo
    The newbie with a big hole in his wallet!
  • TaoTeJaredTaoTeJared Posts: 1,306Member
    I was so frustrated with the amount of time spent on LR4, ...
    Welcome to our world. For a 2 hour shoot I'll spend 10-20 hours easily for 10-20 high-end pics. That is just life ;)

You got the system - Not sure if it will lower your LR time, but the shots will be the best you can get!
    D800, D300, D50(ir converted), FujiX100, Canon G11, Olympus TG2. Nikon lenses - 24mm 2.8, 35mm 1.8, (5 in all)50mm, 60mm, 85mm 1.8, 105vr, 105 f2.5, 180mm 2.8, 70-200vr1, 24-120vr f4. Tokina 12-24mm, 16-28mm, 28-70mm (angenieux design), 300mm f2.8. Sigma 15mm fisheye. Voigtlander R2 (olive) & R2a, Voigt 35mm 2.5, Zeiss 50mm f/2, Leica 90mm f/4. I know I missed something...
  • spraynprayspraynpray Posts: 6,545Moderator
    @keemo: If I were you as you are shooting in a fairly constant lighting situation, I would make a preset for Lightroom and apply it on import. You could make several and call them ISO 3200 D7000, ISO 6400 D7000 etc. That way you just need to know the ISO you used and call it up when you transfer your images. Result? Seconds spent in Lightroom. Your very best images that you will print will need extra work, but the majority will be done.
    Always learning.
  • KeemoKeemo Posts: 11Member
    @Tao - I had no idea you guys spend that much time. Even after reading another thread about "hating to edit" I sucked it up & did my best on the photos I submitted. I heard they turned out good but not very "vivid." However, they we're put to music & projected on three HUGE screens in a auditorium. I was told they were sharp & not a lot of noise (as I was chastened to say) but lacked the pop that I thought I had done good job of adding.
    Well, MORE time devoted to LR I suppose.

@spray - that's another great idea. So far, I haven't set ISO to a constant setting, but I'll try that next weekend.

I anxious to get the d4 running. The correct charger is due on Tuesday & I picked up some new memory cards from a big camera shop while I was in Austin today shooting a gym meet for my youngest. Both teams are ready for me to a Dropbox account (Flickr or whichever) set up so they can enjoy the results. So much to learn, so little time. But I guess that's the complaint voiced by every amateur.

Last for tonight-my apologies about comments on the 85 1.8. Obviously I made those without thinking it through. Another newbie error. I use my 24-70 2.8 quite a bit, so the 85mm should be okay & the 1.8 would assist on the ISO issue. While IWA as at the "toy store this a.m., I checked it out, along with the 1.4. Either way, I have quite a bit of $ to save before I make another purchase.

This hobby Is like a black hole in which to pour time AND money! But, the results are priceless. Seeing the "joy of victory & agony of defeat" on the faces of these young athletes is something to behold, not to mention their form, muscle strain & athleticism. Pure joy for the idiot behind the camera.
  • TaoTeJaredTaoTeJared Posts: 1,306Member
    @Tao - I had no idea you guys spend that much time. Even after reading another thread about "hating to edit" I sucked it up & did my best on the photos I submitted. I heard they turned out good but not very "vivid." However, they we're put to music & projected on three HUGE screens in a auditorium. I was told they were sharp & not a lot of noise (as I was chastened to say) but lacked the pop that I thought I had done good job of adding.
    Well, MORE time devoted to LR I suppose.
    I watched a video on one of the top photo editors for Glammor, Vogue, Cosmo, etc. and she will spend 20-40 hours on 1 photo (given the time to work it.) I could hardly do that. Ansel Adams is said to have spent the lat 20 years of his life in the dark room and that most his shots were taken very early on and he just pulled them out and worked them over and over for years. You will always spend more time editing than taking photos - that is a given.

Note on your images being "dull" - that is a result of shooting at High isos, color loss increases as the ISO goes up. Need to pump the "vivid" and "saturation" up in LR.
    D800, D300, D50(ir converted), FujiX100, Canon G11, Olympus TG2. Nikon lenses - 24mm 2.8, 35mm 1.8, (5 in all)50mm, 60mm, 85mm 1.8, 105vr, 105 f2.5, 180mm 2.8, 70-200vr1, 24-120vr f4. Tokina 12-24mm, 16-28mm, 28-70mm (angenieux design), 300mm f2.8. Sigma 15mm fisheye. Voigtlander R2 (olive) & R2a, Voigt 35mm 2.5, Zeiss 50mm f/2, Leica 90mm f/4. I know I missed something...