NPS repairs and "impact damage" claims

Comments

• PhotobugPhotobug Posts: 5,751Member
    Thanks for sharing donwrightphoto. This is just not right and based upon other comments, it's becoming the norm. Too bad.
    D750 & D7100 | 24-70 F2.8 G AF-S ED, 70-200 F2.8 AF VR, TC-14E III, TC-1.7EII, 35 F2 AF D, 50mm F1.8G, 105mm G AF-S VR | Backup & Wife's Gear: D5500 & Sony HX50V | 18-140 AF-S ED VR DX, 55-300 AF-S G VR DX |
    |SB-800, Amaran Halo LED Ring light | MB-D16 grip| Gitzo GT3541 + RRS BH-55LR, Gitzo GM2942 + Sirui L-10 | RRS gear | Lowepro, ThinkTank, & Hoodman gear | BosStrap | Vello Freewave Plus wireless Remote, Leica Lens Cleaning Cloth |
  • paulrpaulr Posts: 1,176Member
    edited November 2013
    donwrightphoto.

Moral of the story: Don't EVER send a nikon lens in for repair, or you'll be accused of impact damage and they'll hold it hostage. (AT LEAST MY EXPERIENCE THUS FAR)

Clearly the American NPS is run totally different to the European NPS. When you send any repair to NPS this is accompanied by an NPS form which states what amount you will let NPS spend before contacting the owner,£100,£200,300,400,500. alternatively Do not start any work just quote a price or return Goods. You have to use their documentation and labels when packing [supplied free] so arrival of the parcel can be seen that it is a high priority NPS member. It is normal that after any repair Nikon check the item over with their test equipment and recalibration would be part of that check, However I know of no other cases [IN the UK} where the equipment came back worse than when it was sent.
    Post edited by paulr on
    Camera, Lens and Tripod and a few other Bits
  • Golf007sdGolf007sd Posts: 2,840Moderator
    ..... Don't EVER send a nikon lens in for repair, or you'll be accused of impact damage and they'll hold it hostage. (AT LEAST MY EXPERIENCE THUS FAR)
    I, and many other have send in our body and lenses, to Nikon and I have NEVER had an issue. Why not blame the shipping company you used vs. Nikon?

D4 & D7000 | Nikon Holy Trinity Set + 105 2.8 Mico + 200 F2 VR II | 300 2.8G VR II, 10.5 Fish-eye, 24 & 50 1.4G, 35 & 85 1.8G, 18-200 3.5-5.6 VR I SB-400 & 700 | TC 1.4E III, 1.7 & 2.0E III, 1.7 | Sigma 35 & 50 1.4 DG HSM | RRS Ballhead & Tripods Gear | Gitzo Monopod | Lowepro Gear | HDR via Promote Control System |
  • shawninoshawnino Posts: 453Member
    As a Canadian, there is an option to consider. As an example, I will buy a 200mm F4 Macro next spring, before they replace it with stuff I don't need, like VR, amateur build quality and a $1,000 premium:

MSRP in Canada:
    $1,699.95
    B&H US Price:
    $1,649.00
    B&H International Price:
    $1,449.00 - add about $100 for exchange and shipping. Might be higher but I will order other items.

So the only thing missing is the warranty and I save $100.

Then I know to assume that I will be paying for repairs. B&H offers a one year warranty, for whatever that is worth. For a lens, it probably makes sense.

Some lenses have even larger differences, and some have less, so an item by item comparison is necessary.

If you are American and close to a border, maybe secure a post office box in a foreign country, such as Canada, Quebec, Mexico, Idaho or California.

Erm, I don't think so.

Your "international" price is, I think, the grey market lens. (That matches your pricing on the B&H site.) To my knowledge, the grey market lens is available to American residents and non-American residents alike.

Further, you've got the "get the mailbox across the border" precisely backward, at least for US--Canada. It's the Canadians who want the US mailbox to avoid HST/GST/PST by "smuggling" the glass across the border.

In your example, the American who haas the post office box in Canada pays $1449 plus your $100 for exchange and shopping PLUS somewhere between 5% (Alberta) and 15% (Nova Scotia) sales tax. So the American that did that would usually pay more and always receive less warranty.
  • spraynprayspraynpray Posts: 6,545Moderator
    When all things are considered, if I couldn't afford to buy the fully warranted item that has contributed to the upkeep of the distributer and service centre structure in my area, I'd rather not buy it. The risks outweigh the gains in my opinion.
    Always learning.
  • MsmotoMsmoto Posts: 5,398Moderator
    @spraynpray

Agree, and grey market Nikon equipment if sent to Nikon might be mysteriously held up in the repair process. I suspect this is the issue with the lack of parts availability….Nikon knows that when they see a grey market item, not distributed by Nikon USA (in the US of course) they can really make it tough on the owner.

But, the other point made by Spraynpray, that of being supportive of the network which brings us the great equipment, is more an issue of loyalty and taking a realistic approach to those we depend upon. For us in the Colonies, If we had no Nikon USA, where would we get our equipment?
    Msmoto, mod
    s-np: Risks outweigh the gains only if OEM actually honours the warranty. If OEM's worker turns around and claims "impact damage" or tries to weasel out of the deal in some other way, what have you gained? I'm not saying Nikon has a policy of trying to cheat people, but I've read enough anecdotal evidence in this thread and elsewhere to know it's not a situation I ever want to chance.

Tangentially related, we have electronics stores here is Canada who try to sell Extended Warranties. They are very high-commission add-ons for the sales staff, and some salespeople get downright surly when the extended warranty is firmly but politely refused. I'm 40 years old. In my circle of acquaintances, I've never known anybody who has received satisfactory service on one of these extended warranties when his stuff breaks. So I never buy in-store anymore because I don't like the hassle.

I've even been avoiding Adorama for some years because I went through a stretch where whenever I ordered something, I'd get a phone call from somebody there who persistently wanted me to top up my order with some piece of gear I didn't need. I have no idea whether Adorama still does that, but where B&H's prices are so often identical I haven't had to find out.
    edited November 2013
    Hi Shawn, I have to say, that I have never had to pay for a repair on any of the 5 occasions I have returned something for repair. Always free, fast and correct. Heck, one time, it was a used lens and it was still free.

100% good experiences here, although I did send in a lens for repair that had no serial number (which is something they aren't happy to get). At first they were wary, but then they - at my request - contacted Calumet who verified it was an ex hire lens from them and then Nikon gave me a price for the job. It was more damaged than Calumet said so they refunded the price in full and the repair centre returned it to them.

In some countries I heard the Nikon repair centre will not even repair grey imports - even as chargeable - at all.
    Post edited by spraynpray on
    Always learning.
    S-n-P: I'm so glad to read you've never had an issue receive proper service. "100% good experiences" is excellent.
  • westernwestern Posts: 7Member
    For years I always aspired to have a Nikon Camera, looking with envy at others with the Nikon name, how wrong was I.

What a terrible experience I have had with NIKON

Purchased a Nikon 7100 camera and lens, from what I understood was a UK company, based in London. The camera never focused from arrival, months of reading believing it was me not understanding the complicated instructions, research on-line, messages to the shop and Nikon, to the point I had virtually stopped taking photos, which was my hobby, knowing that getting the camera out and setting it up would result in a very poor image.
    After more discussions with Nikon, sample photos, on tripod, off tripod, this setting, that setting Nikon UK said they needed to see the camera. The shop said they wanted to send it to the USA to be tested.

Nikon UK then said the camera serial number meant it was NOT covered by Europe Warranty so would be chargeable (on a new camera!!) so what do you do? send it to Nikon UK or USA?

This is despite the Nikon web site saying this is not the case,

Decided to send it to Nikon UK, advised that we would need packing and label, they sent a guy to collect with a tiny sticky bar code, saying it would be marked, labelled and packed at the depot.

Had to chase to check the camera arrived, and a week later got the news the camera was damaged!!! (impact damage) !!!! and they wanted £125 to fix it.

It was not damaged, I had it independently inspected first as I had read on-line this is what they might do, and sure enough this is what happened.
    So I am left now with no camera, and the choice of paying to repair a new camera, or have it returned now apparently damaged.

Would you trust Nikon? I wrote to the MD of Nikon UK and he just passed it on, so now its over to trading standards and Nikon Head office, all because I bought a Nikon camera.

Nikon corporate web site says,
    Our corporate philosophy of “Trustworthiness & Creativity” — simple words that are not easily put into practice. These important words represent unchanging principles to which we will always be dedicated.
    “Our Aspirations” mean not only to meet the needs of customers but also to provide customers with new value that exceeds their expectations.
    “Meeting needs. Exceeding expectations.” is our vision for the future.

Sadly this is NOT my experience, would you choose a Nikon now? who can prove it was not the delivery company? or Nikon? but I am expected to pay, how is that fair?
  • IronheartIronheart Posts: 3,017Moderator
    I would return it to the shop I purchased it from and demand a refund as you were sold a false bill of goods. Let me guess, it was an awesome price, too good to be true! Also, I would have never turned the camera over to a shipper unless I myself had packed it. It probably was "impact damaged" when the muppet tossed it in his truck five seconds after you gave it to him. If you paid less than retail, you were sold a gray market camera, if this was not clearly stated your recourse is with the retailer, not Nikon.
    Either way it's a major bummer. Nikon sells millions of these things and most people never get anywhere near a service center. Sounds like the retailer hosed you...
    Many thanks for your reply, Ironheart, no sadly it was not cheaper, and Nikon have not said it was fake / Gray like other stories I read on-line, suspect it is the delivery company, but I cannot prove that, and neither can Nikon, so who suffers the consumer again. I would assume Nikon would know when they plug it in if it was not 100% genuine, if that was the case I could claim the money from my credit card company. Read many stories today on-line where impact damage is claimed by Nikon, could be a easy way out of repair under warranty?
    edited October 2015
    Grey market means you bought a US model in the UK. If the retailer mis-represented the goods, this can be easily determined by the first digit in the serial number. If you paid full retail, you should have been given a brand-new, in-box, correct model for your region of the world. If you didn't get that, you have a claim with the retailer. I'd have Nikon ship it back, as-is, and return it for a full refund. Then I would go to my local camera shop, buy it in person (the prices for Nikon cameras are the same no matter where/how you buy) and then if there is any issue, you have a human to talk to, get a replacement, etc...

FYI, here's Thom's take on serial numbers:
    http://www.dslrbodies.com/cameras/camera-articles/nikon-camera-serial-numbers.html

This used to be the first number scheme, but the D7100 was the first departure from this:
    2 Japan
    3 USA
    4 Europe (excluding UK)
    5 Canada
    6 Australia/New Zealand
    7 Asia (excluding Japan)
    8 United Kingdom

What are the first two digits of your SN?
    Post edited by Ironheart on
    in the Uk new regulations came into force on the 1st October 2015 regarding Distance Selling. The name has changed to Consumer Contracts Regulations This makes it alot clearer for the private buyer and has taken some of the hassle out from retailers in favour of the buyer.
    @Ironheart: My UK D7100 serial starts with a 4 and gets free work carried out by Nikon UK.

@western: I am a fussy PITA about a lot of things and I have to tell you that I always hand-deliver my Nikon gear to the repair centre. It is only over in Richmond Road Kingston which is very easy for you to get to, but a 140 mile round trip (twice) for me. Having said that, name and shame the company you bought it from right here, right now. I would like to know who they are - sounds like an eBay purchase? I can advise you better if you give more detail.
    Always learning.
    Hi,
    Thanks for the feedback, I am in remote Scotland so delivery to Nikon is sadly not an option for me as I am disabled.

The company I bought from was SLRhut, which showed there address in London. My serial number starts with a 2 what does that mean? Nikon had the purchase inv and serial number before it was returned to them.

The problem is Nikon do no reply now since I posted here, and as they claim impact damage, if I get it back and return to SLR hut they will say the same I guess? so while I know there was no damage when it left here to go to Nikon, I don't want to risk it moving again until it is resolved.

Best thought so far is to issue a court summons, or claim on my camera insurance for damage?

All I did was buy a camera, that never worked right, and I thought it was a good reliable make, I am not a professional, it was an ambition to have a Nikon as my last camera and it has been a complete nightmare.

I am happy to take the blame for buying from the "wrong" place, if that is the case but options here are limited and wanted the camera and lens and that was the only place I found did the camera and lens together.
    You may consider taking it up with the carrier, While it was in their custody they had a duty of care,To delivery the camera safely, It could have been damaged in Transit.
    Check your credit card t&c's, or give them a call. Explain the situation and you may have rights with them, such as full refund, and they will go after the shipper/retailer.
    Many thanks all, have written to the carrier today, credit card will cover It think, but complex as goods were supplied sometime ago, spent time trying to solve issue with photo quality, with everyone telling me to follow page 75!! and the "alleged damage", only when Nikon asked me to send it to them 2 weeks ago. Non of this helped by the fact Nikon will not reply, even mail to the boss, John Walshe gets no reply Anyone got an e mail address for Nikon head office?
    Your problem is that you don't know (can't prove) who damaged it. Your CC company is the best bet if that route is possible.

Let me say this - and I don't make these statements lightly - you CAN trust Nikon UK service centre in Kingston. They are extremely fair and have failed to charge me for repairs I expected a bill for. Don't worry about that one moment longer. Honestly.

SLR Hut should state clearly that they are selling gray imports, and if they don't, advertising standards/consumer rights should be told about it. Your camera is of Japanese origin according to the list above, speak to them and ask if they are selling grey imports.

Having said all that, you will never see those prices unless they are gray imports so you make the decision if it is worth the risk or not - in this case, you got bitten.
    Always learning.
    edited October 2015
    The prices on SLR Hut are too good to be true. £400 for a brand new in box D7100 body only? And they claim that the MSRP is £500? Every other legit reseller (incl. Amazon, Jessops, Calumet) have it listed for £705. The crappy part is that SLR Hut says nowhere that these are grey market. If you type "SLR Hut reviews" into google you will see what these folks are really up to. I would seriously try to get my ££'s back from either these dudes or your CC, and follow-up with a legit seller. We can help you here! Good luck and let us know how it turns out!!
    Hi,

Thanks all again, I got a friend to write to SLR hut to ask about the London address, where the cameras were from, repairs etc As you rightly guessed they said;

We have the UK address as a courtesy for our customer base.

This camera will carry a one year warranty with Nikon USA - not Nikon UK, or Nikon Hong Kong.

If any defects occur you can ship it back to our London address, then we pay to send it off to Nikon for inspection.

Wish I had asked that before buying, does grey mean it is not a real Nikon camera? or just its from the wrong place?
    Nikon UK have replied and said they are looking at the repair cost, and the courier replied say they have no record of collecting it!!! so no idea how it got to Nikon then!!

I do appreciate all your help and time, for what seems to be my own fault / stupidity but I did not look for the cheapest, just a company who offered the Camera with the lens I wanted.
    Contact The Citizens Advice Bureau Consumer depart. in the UK the no is 03454040506 They will advise you on your consumer rights, however Scottish Law could be different to English Law
    edited October 2015
    From https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Grey_market

"A grey market (sometimes called a parallel import,[1] but this can also mean other things;[2] not to be confused with a black market or a grey economy) is the trade of a commodity through distribution channels which are legal but are unofficial, unauthorized, or unintended by the original manufacturer. The most common type of grey market is the sale, by individuals or small companies not authorised by the manufacturer, of imported goods which would otherwise be either more expensive in the country to which they are being imported, or unavailable altogether. An example of this would be the import and subsequent re-sale of Apple products by unlicensed intermediaries in countries such as South Korea[3] where Apple does not currently operate retail outlets and licensed reseller markups are high."

This is why they have to ship it back to the country of origin in order to get it serviced. From Nikon's point of view it shouldn't be where it is. Your warranty is with them, not the manufacturer. Now granted, they may stand by their products and ship it back, get it fixed, etc, but they should be transparent about it. Adorama and other sellers will clearly list it as a gray market item and identifying where it needs to be shipped for service.
    Thank you, Ironheart, I will e mail SLRHut and see what they say, I guess it will ask again I send it to USA, but think I would prefer a refund and get a "real" Nikon, issue now is the "impact damage" where and when that happened, can see this is going to be difficult, could not have done this without everyone's support and help here. Nikon UK say they have sent images of the damage, but no images arrived, courier says they cannot help, as Nikon need to report it.