Just Bought D7100, should I be worried about D5300?

13»

Comments

• tcole1983tcole1983 Posts: 981Member
    edited September 2014
    I still don't necessarily agree. Good light and conditions...just about any dslr can take good pics. Go on Flickr and type in d5200 castle...first one I clicked was pretty awesome and they were shooting the 18-55 kit lens.
    Post edited by tcole1983 on
    D5200, D5000, S31, 18-55 VR, 17-55 F2.8, 35 F1.8G, 105 F2.8 VR, 300 F4 AF-S (Previously owned 18-200 VRI, Tokina 12-24 F4 II)
  • PB_PMPB_PM Posts: 4,494Member
    edited September 2014
    @PitchBlack One could argue that some of that comes down to, a) the skill of those photographers in combination with, b) the post processing abilities of said photographers not being up to your level, rather than it having anything to do with the camera used. I'm willing to bet that if you forced yourself to use a D5300 for one week with an 18-55mm kit lens, most of what you would come up with would be 85-90% better than most of us here with top end gear.
    Post edited by PB_PM on
    If I take a good photo it's not my camera's fault.
  • PB_PMPB_PM Posts: 4,494Member
    And I'm not saying the gear doesn't help either. If I didn't think it did I'd still be using a my first DSLR (a D80).
    If I take a good photo it's not my camera's fault.
  • AnaxagorasAnaxagoras Posts: 3Member
    As it happens I’ve just swapped my D7000 for a D5300. The GPS was very appealing - we routinely expect date and time with our images these days, location seems equally obvious to me. But my main incentive, given my deteriorating health, was for the rotating screen and to reduce carrying weight.

The lack of a top panel and direct access controls are irritating but not a big problem. The viewfinder (penta-mirror not pentaprism) is a little disappointing, and the camera is a little less comfortable to hold. Side by side pixel-peeping shows that the D5300 gives marginally better image quality, but not really noticeable in real life. The choice of lens makes a much greater difference.

All-in-all I'm happy with my decision.

The 18-55 kit lens falls some way short of my 16-85. But surprisingly good bearing in mind it is tiny, feather light, and bundled for next to nothing.
  • manhattanboymanhattanboy Posts: 1,003Member
    As it happens I’ve just swapped my D7000 for a D5300. The GPS was very appealing - we routinely expect date and time with our images these days, location seems equally obvious to me. But my main incentive, given my deteriorating health, was for the rotating screen and to reduce carrying weight.

The lack of a top panel and direct access controls are irritating but not a big problem. The viewfinder (penta-mirror not pentaprism) is a little disappointing, and the camera is a little less comfortable to hold. Side by side pixel-peeping shows that the D5300 gives marginally better image quality, but not really noticeable in real life. The choice of lens makes a much greater difference.

All-in-all I'm happy with my decision.

The 18-55 kit lens falls some way short of my 16-85. But surprisingly good bearing in mind it is tiny, feather light, and bundled for next to nothing.
    The 5300 does have better image quality than the 7000. The one thing I long for in the 7100 from the 5300 is wifi.