D1000 - Anyone interested?

2»

Comments

• spraynprayspraynpray Posts: 6,545Moderator
    @brownie314: Nobody here has come close to being nasty in any way, but you on the other hand have started name calling.

Best advice I can offer you perhaps is maybe find another forum worthy of your presence.... if there is one.... L-)
    Always learning.
  • brownie314brownie314 Posts: 72Member
    Yeah, I asked the question in the D3xxx forum, hoping to get the opinion of people who are interested in these D3xxx line of bodies. I grew frustrated when I keep getting people who are clearly completely uninterested in a body smaller than the D7100. I thought it would be clear by me posting in the D3xxx forum that I was interested in the opinion of people who actually want/have a smaller dslr body (like DaveyJ, who it seems is the only person who as actually used a smaller body). I keep getting “only soccer moms want smaller bodies”, or “NO ONE in this forum would use a D3200” (last one clearly untrue). Yes, I know there are tons of you who want a D400 or a D4x – I KNOW! I am not talking to you. If you are uninterested in this smaller dslr segment, then don’t bother to post. And no, I am not just looking for someone to agree with me. I am looking for people who use the D3xxx line of equipment and think it would be a good idea if Nikon made a slightly smaller body (like the SL1). Maybe I should have said that in the original post, but 2 things – 1 – it probably would not have made a difference and 2 – it should have been clear from the segment of the forum I posted in.
  • PB_PMPB_PM Posts: 4,494Member
    edited October 2013
    @brownie313 Sadly this forum posts everything in the generation discussion section, not just the specific forum. You're going to get everyone looking at it. This form doesn't seem to attract many people looking for that class of camera, at least not in terms of people who post.

Don't get me wrong, I think the D3200 is a good camera for what it is. Doesn't mean I would buy one though.
    Post edited by PB_PM on
    If I take a good photo it's not my camera's fault.
  • NSXTypeRNSXTypeR Posts: 2,287Member
    Yeah, I asked the question in the D3xxx forum, hoping to get the opinion of people who are interested in these D3xxx line of bodies. I grew frustrated when I keep getting people who are clearly completely uninterested in a body smaller than the D7100. I thought it would be clear by me posting in the D3xxx forum that I was interested in the opinion of people who actually want/have a smaller dslr body (like DaveyJ, who it seems is the only person who as actually used a smaller body). I keep getting “only soccer moms want smaller bodies”, or “NO ONE in this forum would use a D3200” (last one clearly untrue). Yes, I know there are tons of you who want a D400 or a D4x – I KNOW! I am not talking to you. If you are uninterested in this smaller dslr segment, then don’t bother to post. And no, I am not just looking for someone to agree with me. I am looking for people who use the D3xxx line of equipment and think it would be a good idea if Nikon made a slightly smaller body (like the SL1). Maybe I should have said that in the original post, but 2 things – 1 – it probably would not have made a difference and 2 – it should have been clear from the segment of the forum I posted in.
    I think people generally hate on the SL1 because its size also compromises its grip. Because it had to be smaller, it's grip is smaller too, so you won't have too much fun with the camera with larger lenses.

A D3200, while small, still has a decent sized grip. I personally wouldn't go any smaller than a D7000 anymore either. I liked the form factor of a D3200 but I hate the lack of controls now. I love having twin dials, it just speeds things up. Maybe it was also because the D40 I have had a crap AF system, so I poo poo the lower end cameras now. If I had to go smaller, I certainly wouldn't go lower than the D5000 series of cameras.
    Nikon D7000/ Nikon D40/ Nikon FM2/ 18-135 AF-S/ 35mm 1.8 AF-S/ 105mm Macro AF-S/ 50mm 1.2 AI-S
    @PB_PM - yeah, I thought that might be a problem. I guess most people interested in a body like the D3200 are probably not active in the photo community - online, or local. But I think this body could be used as a cheap body that you don't have to worry about for someone with more expensive gear that they may not want to haul everywhere.
    @NSXTypeR - I have handled the D3200 and the SL1. D3200, to me anyway, felt quite a bit larger, but it could be just a memory illusion. But I think both bodies represent a good compromise between size and usability. I mean I would not give up my D7000, but I find myself leaving it behind many times and taking my J1 or V1, but then wanting better image quality - ugh, I can't win.
    Just to drive the point home, check out the link-

http://j.mp/XDvVmu

The grip on the SL1 is completely shaved off.

Honestly, if you go from a D40 to a D7000 sized camera, the D7000 really isn't that much bigger or heavier. I gladly accept those drawbacks.
    Nikon D7000/ Nikon D40/ Nikon FM2/ 18-135 AF-S/ 35mm 1.8 AF-S/ 105mm Macro AF-S/ 50mm 1.2 AI-S
    There are certain things that are out of whack in the posts above.

@NSXTypeR said: I think people generally hate on the SL1 because its size also compromises its grip. Because it had to be smaller, it's grip is smaller too, so you won't have too much fun with the camera with larger lenses. - See more at: http://forum.nikonrumors.com/discussion/1734/d1000-anyone-interested#Item_27

Just look how people put all kinds of lenses on the Nikon 1 via an adapter. You can't get more difficult to handle than that. LOL!

For me it is the lack of external controls period. If the 1000 or whatever was a mini D7100, it would be fine, but then why make such a camera? I do accept they may sell, but in what numbers? I have a newbie friend who has hands like bananas and he has that Canon though.
    Always learning.

@NSXTypeR said: I think people generally hate on the SL1 because its size also compromises its grip. Because it had to be smaller, it's grip is smaller too, so you won't have too much fun with the camera with larger lenses. - See more at: http://forum.nikonrumors.com/discussion/1734/d1000-anyone-interested#Item_27

Just look how people put all kinds of lenses on the Nikon 1 via an adapter. You can't get more difficult to handle than that. LOL!

For me it is the lack of external controls period. If the 1000 or whatever was a mini D7100, it would be fine, but then why make such a camera? I do accept they may sell, but in what numbers? I have a newbie friend who has hands like bananas and he has that Canon though.
    I think I would be interested in a D3200 sized and priced camera with twin dials and external controls. I don't think Nikon would make it... oh right, it's the retro $3,000 Nikon.
  • DaveyJDaveyJ Posts: 1,090Member
    My attitude about D1000 is if it sells for Nikon and HELPS keep making D7100s and D800s for us.

I think I would be interested in a D3200 sized and priced camera with twin dials and external controls. I don't think Nikon would make it... oh right, it's the retro $3,000 Nikon.
    A smaller, twin control dial dslr - now that would be very interesting. Something like a D7100, only miniaturized as much as possible. Or an aps-c version of the upcoming nikon FM remake? I think those products could be interesting.
    edited October 2013
    "A smaller, twin control dial dslr - now that would be very interesting. Something like a D7100, only miniaturized as much as possible. Or an aps-c version of the upcoming nikon FM remake? I think those products could be interesting."

I can't for the life of me see how they will help us take better images.
    Post edited by spraynpray on
    Always learning.
    "A smaller, twin control dial dslr - now that would be very interesting. Something like a D7100, only miniaturized as much as possible. Or an aps-c version of the upcoming nikon FM remake? I think those products could be interesting."

I can't for the life of me see how they will help us take better images.
    @SprayandPray
    I don't know. Maybe because not all of us shoot just in the studio, or want to carry large heavy equipment with us all the time. So in those situations where you would not take large equipment, you could, conceivably, take this camera. But I don't have to explain this to you, you already know. Not sure why you are asking. Seems more than obvious to me. Unless you are implying that "if you can't take the big guns, then you are not interested in taking images". Well you can be that way, but I would imagine most people would disagree. So to summarize - "how does it help us take better images" - well it would not necessarily produce better images than larger bodies, it would just be with us in that unpredictable moment, when an opportunity arises, when a larger body might stay at home.
    And so you next comment will be that there is no market for a smaller, more enthusiast oriented body. That is a different argument and is commenting on what the mass of people want. And it looks to me like the market is headed towards smaller, more capable instruments. Yes, there will always be a place for laptop sized bodies with every external control imaginable. I understand that too. But you cannot deny that market forces are pushing towards smaller bodies with more enthusiast orientation.
  • shawninoshawnino Posts: 453Member
    So why not get one of the better CX bodies and a couple lenses (or the adapter for F-Mount) and have at it? Light, and a couple shooters on here have shown the V1/V2 to be perfectly fine for IQ. Problem solved.

Canon had to go slumming because their first run at mirrorless flopped. Nikon 1 is selling better, esp. in Asia.
  • heartyfisherheartyfisher Posts: 3,186Member
    edited October 2013
    I picked up a mint V1 + 10-30 ($320 AUD = 290 USD) just to
    see how it goes (I thought if i didn't like it I could sell it).. and
    I am very pleased with it.

Now just waiting for the V3(expected within the next 6months).
    And I will be building a system around that. Thanks to this V1 I
    have totally lost interest in the D400. even my old 18-200 kit
    lense has had a new lease of life as the CX sensor uses the
    much sharper middle area of the lense. CA is much lower too.
    Have a look at the charts the centre areas are great!

For a cost of the FT1 adapter I get a 48-540mm FOV lense !
    Mind blowing ! I am even considering replacing the 18-200
    with the 18-300 which is sharper and has a slightly larger
    sweet spot. that will get me a 48-810 FOV. Totally speechless
    with that awesome prospect !
    Post edited by heartyfisher on
    Moments of Light - D610 D7K S5pro 70-200f4 18-200 150f2.8 12-24 18-70 35-70f2.8 : C&C very welcome!
    Being a photographer is a lot like being a Christian: Some people look at you funny but do not see the amazing beauty all around them - heartyfisher.

• DaveyJDaveyJ Posts: 1,090Member
    I agree that many regular consumers want smaller cameras. Nikon Germany's statements about concentrating on FX Nikon DSLRs runs very contrary to this. Heartyfisher's post above seems pretty interesting. Also the Nikon 1 AW 1 seems like it will sell well. My results with the D3200 and three lens proved to me the value of smaller DSLR Nikons. I should clearly note that the WORST Nikon I ever bought was the D40X Nikon. So Nikon has come along way there alone. The DX format is a very long way from dead. So I conclude that a D1000 might be popular.