sb910 with a extetnal battery/Godox pb960

ken_anythingken_anything Posts: 4Member
edited November 2013 in Nikon Flashes
Hi guys, thinking of using a sb910 with a godox pb960. External battery. Has anyone used this combination ?
Also by uping the iso and reducing the power would it keep up with my d300 s 6fps . Any suggestions would be welcome. Cheers ken.
Post edited by Msmoto on

Comments

• adamzadamz Posts: 842Moderator
    I use free power battery pack for my sb-900 and I'm more than happy with the results. the recovery time allows me to get couple burst shots, the biggest drawback is the need to use good alkaline batteries to get the speed - 8 of them.
  • ken_anythingken_anything Posts: 4Member
    Thanks for the reply adamz. I had hoped someone would have had used the godox pb960 and could share this with me.Does anyone used the sb910 and nikons own sd9 pack ?
  • MsmotoMsmoto Posts: 5,398Moderator
    Here is a review of the Godox pb960

http://flashhavoc.com/godox-pb960-lithium-power-pack-review/

This may answer your questions. It appears the recycle time is about 0.7 seconds, so it would only be consistent for one or possibly two flashes at 6 FPS.
    Msmoto, mod
  • adamzadamz Posts: 842Moderator
    sure Tommie, it's 0.7 sec but only for 1/1 flash.
  • MsmotoMsmoto Posts: 5,398Moderator
    Admittedly, the 0.7 sec is for full power. But even at 1/4 power, will an SB-910 recycle in the 0.016 seconds required for 6 FPS? Are there not strobe units which do this much better? And, pushing an SB-910 in this way...does it get a bit warm?

I will watch closely for the answers...
    Msmoto, mod
    hi Msmoto, thanks for the godox review. Hadnt seen this one but confirms what i had read on another site.
    My idea is to up the iso and reduce the power to about the 1/4, manly to use the flash as a fill light.
    I wonder what the pro's use as their flash when using a D4 with its 11fps ? Is it a sb910 or something really expensive !
    Thanks for you reply. Wonder if there is a D300 owner out there who uses this combination of external battery and flash. Please post your experience if you can, cheers, ken_anything.

• STSinNYCSTSinNYC Posts: 1Member
    I have the PB-960 and it works very well with my D700 and SB800 Speedlights. Recycles fast after full power discharges and the capacity is amazing. I do fast paced event shooting, am quite pleased with the 960.
  • studio460studio460 Posts: 205Member
    I probably know a dozen or so event shooters who've switched from pricey Quantum and Lumedyne packs to the budget-priced Godox high-voltage packs. According to them, its recycle time is a hair slower than a Quantum Turbo, but they generally seem very happy with the Godox' overall performance. And these guys push their Speedlights to the limit--employing max frame-rates on red carpets (using relatively high ISO settings allows them to do this).
  • TaoTeJaredTaoTeJared Posts: 1,306Member
    Hi guys, thinking of using a sb910 with a godox pb960. External battery. Has anyone used this combination ?
    Also by uping the iso and reducing the power would it keep up with my d300 s 6fps . Any suggestions would be welcome. Cheers ken.
    There is a strobe pulsating function supposedly built into the flashes - never found it (or actually looked) but I think the power is only 1/256th or something very very low. Not intended for much over a few feet. Some studio strobes could do it, but maybe just for a short burst of a few shots. It is not realistic to think you can shoot a flash at 6fps without going to some major cost (easily a few thousand for a set-up). Maybe 2FPS at most and 3 with some third party flash system? The limit is in the entire build of the flash not just a batter pack. And if you are shooting at 1/1 - you could never get that over 2 fps with a speedlight.

What are you trying to shoot that you need 6fps?
    D800, D300, D50(ir converted), FujiX100, Canon G11, Olympus TG2. Nikon lenses - 24mm 2.8, 35mm 1.8, (5 in all)50mm, 60mm, 85mm 1.8, 105vr, 105 f2.5, 180mm 2.8, 70-200vr1, 24-120vr f4. Tokina 12-24mm, 16-28mm, 28-70mm (angenieux design), 300mm f2.8. Sigma 15mm fisheye. Voigtlander R2 (olive) & R2a, Voigt 35mm 2.5, Zeiss 50mm f/2, Leica 90mm f/4. I know I missed something...
    Hi Tao-te-jard and pitchblack, thankyou both for replying. Looking to put a catch light into some marathon runners eyes. Don't really need 6fps , probably 2 or 3 fps will be more than enough. Think I will go with the set up .
    I was/am still very interested to here other peoples experience with this set up.
    Have organized some night time painting with flash and some local mountain bikers where fast recycling time of the fl!sh would be a bonus,cheers, ken