Photographers Vs Animals

2»

Comments

• ChasCSChasCS Posts: 309Member
    That's great, glad you got it...
    Funny thing was, on Canada's Discovery Channel, the Daily Planet program which airs weekdays, happened to show the very same video today. It's remarkable how the photographer just sat there, risking his gear, but even more so, his valued eye sight. A slight flick of the head with horn, and, it could have been a much different outcome.

Funny how the young buck backed off once the fellow stood up, for himself!!
    Lucky it didn't charge full speed though, with head down. Hooves and or horns = Hurt.
    D800, AF-S NIKKOR 80-400mm f/4.5-5.6G ED VR, B+W Clear MRC 77mm, AF-S NIKKOR 24-120mm f/4G ED VR, Sigma DG UV 77mm,
    SB-910~WG-AS3, SB-50, ME-1, Lexar Professional 600x 64GB SDXC UHS-I 90MB/s* x2, 400x 32GB SDHC UHS-I 60MB/s* x1
    Vanguard ALTA PRO 263AT, GH-300T, SBH-250, SBH-100, PH-22 Panhead
    Lowepro S&F Deluxe Technical Belt and Harness ~ Pouch 60 AW 50 AW & 10, S&F Toploader 70 AW, Lens Case 11 x 26cm
    FE, NIKKOR 2-20mm f/1.8, OPTEX UV 52mm, Vivitar Zoom 285, Kodacolor VR 1000 CF 135-24 EXP DX 35mm, rePlay XD1080

• donaldejosedonaldejose Posts: 3,675Member
    edited November 2013
    From viewing the video I would say this elk is not attacking but is using the man as a rubbing post to rub the velvet of his antlers and then tries to have a push-pull challenge contest with him as bull elk do in the fall.
    Post edited by donaldejose on
    I thought this video was very well done... The music makes it a very relaxed atmosphere.

Funny how the background sounds can change up the mood.

I very much want to get out in the wilds for some fun shoots, just as soon as our brisk weather provides an open window.
    When the sun is shining on the fresh snow, it does appear interesting at times , it can even look like sparkling diamonds.
    Wow, are we rich!!
    D800, AF-S NIKKOR 80-400mm f/4.5-5.6G ED VR, B+W Clear MRC 77mm, AF-S NIKKOR 24-120mm f/4G ED VR, Sigma DG UV 77mm,
    SB-910~WG-AS3, SB-50, ME-1, Lexar Professional 600x 64GB SDXC UHS-I 90MB/s* x2, 400x 32GB SDHC UHS-I 60MB/s* x1
    Lowepro S&F Deluxe Technical Belt and Harness ~ Pouch 60 AW 50 AW & 10, S&F Toploader 70 AW, Lens Case 11 x 26cm
    FE, NIKKOR 2-20mm f/1.8, OPTEX UV 52mm, Vivitar Zoom 285, Kodacolor VR 1000 CF 135-24 EXP DX 35mm, rePlay XD1080

• kliscinskykliscinsky Posts: 1Member
    The Park service announced that they had put the elk in the picture/video down. They claim to have had trouble with it before.
  • donaldejosedonaldejose Posts: 3,675Member
    I once walked up on a moose feeding in a pond like the one in the video to take his picture. As I arrived at the edge of the pond, he charged at me with lots of water splashing. You don't know when just one more step closer elicits a wild animal's charge instinct. Fortunately, I backed up and when the moose reached the edge of the pond he stopped charging at me. That was fortunate because he could run faster than I could. They are big animals with a big stride. I have also walked up on a wild deer in a national park so close that I could actually put my hand on his back. It amazed tourists stopped for a photo. But just one flip of his neck would have put those antlers into my chest. I have hand-feed apples to wild deer and even showed my preschool daughter how to do it. Oh, the foolishness of youth!
  • DaveODaveO Posts: 12Member
    The elk in the first photo was shot and killed after this video went viral. The animal was supposedly too friendly with the tourists and removed from the area a few times before. It is unfortunate that that happened.
    Tough break for the young handsome ~ beautiful elk.
    I hope the food banks or homeless shelter some place near, gets to appreciate that kill.

They are probably one of my most favorite native big game animals here in Alberta.
    I'm not only speaking as a bowhunter, but nature lover and wilderness photographer too. Smile
    There are plenty of them just East of where I live. But living this far North, there is abundance of most local big game.

Moose can run right through you, or throw you over their head with those massive horns.
    An average moose can derail a freight train. Not to be messed with, without protection. Nor thee majestic elk.

• spraynprayspraynpray Posts: 6,545Moderator
    Any - any - animal can be a threat. I was nearly killed by - guess what? A domestic cat. Those things attached themselves to you with claws hooked in, round and back out again like the worst velcro nightmare you can imagine while they kick with their rear legs and chew with their filthy teeth. Charging the sharp corner of the wall at speed several times didn't even distract it let alone get it off me.
    Always learning.
    edited November 2013
    Sooo, take a wild guess why I dislike domestic kitties with a passion? No I don't hate them all, Persian and Sismese are ok, heck even those bald Egyptian Sphinx weirdo cats are alright.
    But most house cats are just lazy blobs of fur that lay about the place, constantly licking them selves, every where...
    Until they turn into psycho kitty, and grab hold of you with those needle sharp claws!! Then it's on, you. Hahaha

But add a couple hundred or more pounds, and I'm in love, leopards, panthers, tigers, cheetah, lynx, even the small but elusive bobcat... Lions scare the heck out of me. But they all photograph very well. Ligers are frightening too...
    Carnivores are a different breed...
    Anyone hear the rumor of the rats feeding on people in the nursing home? Should of had a cat?!
    I pray that was a fabricated story made up, perhaps on a very slow news day.
    Post edited by ChasCS on