Where is Nikon's answer to the great rebates Canon currently has going on

var1abl3var1abl3 Posts: 4Member
edited November 2013 in Nikon DSLR cameras
Canon has great lens rebates going on right now and I have not seen anything from Nikon for individual lenses since the end of March. Has anyone heard of any rebates in the US in the near future? Rebates on individual lenses would be great but I would also be fine with rebates being available on body/high end glass combo.

I have to replace my entire setup because of loss and I might have to switch over to Canon as I can get more for my money with their current promotions.

Comments

• PhotobugPhotobug Posts: 5,751Member
    Doubt if you will see Nikon lens rebates until after the first of the year.

Stick with Nikon for a smoother transition to new equipment.
    D750 & D7100 | 24-70 F2.8 G AF-S ED, 70-200 F2.8 AF VR, TC-14E III, TC-1.7EII, 35 F2 AF D, 50mm F1.8G, 105mm G AF-S VR | Backup & Wife's Gear: D5500 & Sony HX50V | 18-140 AF-S ED VR DX, 55-300 AF-S G VR DX |
    |SB-800, Amaran Halo LED Ring light | MB-D16 grip| Gitzo GT3541 + RRS BH-55LR, Gitzo GM2942 + Sirui L-10 | RRS gear | Lowepro, ThinkTank, & Hoodman gear | BosStrap | Vello Freewave Plus wireless Remote, Leica Lens Cleaning Cloth |
  • var1abl3var1abl3 Posts: 4Member
    What do you mean by a smoother transition? I cannot go two months without equipment and I am not going to pay a $2K premium just to stay with Nikon.
  • WestEndBoyWestEndBoy Posts: 1,456Member
    If you are a professional, you will spend more than $2k in time just learning the menus and ergonomics.
    Thanks jshickele for answering the question. That is exactly what I meant in my message. Nicely written.
    D750 & D7100 | 24-70 F2.8 G AF-S ED, 70-200 F2.8 AF VR, TC-14E III, TC-1.7EII, 35 F2 AF D, 50mm F1.8G, 105mm G AF-S VR | Backup & Wife's Gear: D5500 & Sony HX50V | 18-140 AF-S ED VR DX, 55-300 AF-S G VR DX |
    |SB-800, Amaran Halo LED Ring light | MB-D16 grip| Gitzo GT3541 + RRS BH-55LR, Gitzo GM2942 + Sirui L-10 | RRS gear | Lowepro, ThinkTank, & Hoodman gear | BosStrap | Vello Freewave Plus wireless Remote, Leica Lens Cleaning Cloth |
  • manhattanboymanhattanboy Posts: 1,003Member
    edited November 2013
    When using a Canon after being comfortable with the way Nikon does things, I agree that things can be difficult, but this probably goes both ways with Canon users having as much difficulty when switching to Nikon. There have been times when even professionals switch for whatever reason. Granted most of the time, the switch between Canon and Nikon is not driven by price, however, I do feel the frustration that the OP is feeling. If Nikon is losing market share, why the heck are they not going toe to toe with Canon?! Its as if Nikon has generally written off the DSLR market and chosen to try to milk wealthy consumers with "trendy" products marketed by celebrities. For example, the Canon 2.8 zoom (which is what many will use as a workhorse) costs only $1900 given the new rebates...that's $400 less than the Nikon equivalent. If I had a chance to do it over, I would seriously given consideration to Canon given the great prices... a refurb 7D <$1K now with the top 2.8 zoom for $1900 is very tempting and hard to match price wise with Nikon.
    Post edited by manhattanboy on
  • MsmotoMsmoto Posts: 5,398Moderator
    Maybe Canon needs the rebates to compensate for other issues….. For some of us, Nikon from the '60's, there is not a concern about the rebates as much as possibly someone who is entering the field. I usually decide what I need for the image I want, then obtain this. My desire to capture a particular feeling in a photograph is what drives my purchase decisions and not necessarily prices.

In theory, the switch from Nikon to Canon might be easier as one can in some cases use Nikkor optics on Canons, but not the other way around.

The final decision if restarting from scratch (OP) would be to carefully think about the images one desires and then purchase based upon this, not price.
    Msmoto, mod
  • henrik1963henrik1963 Posts: 567Member
    Well if you need new gear now and you can save 2K and you can get the pictures you want with Canon gear why not go Canon?

I don´t think anyone inhere can tell you when the next deal on Nikon gear is coming.

I would not switch to Canon - It takes far to long time to get used to a new camera. But then I am not a pro - I have the time to wait.
    Amen...PitchBlack
    Don't switch. The image quality of the Nikon sensors destroys that of the Canon.

The number of times I have made an adjustment on the camera without looking for buttons to get a picture outweighs learning a whole new camera system.
    edited November 2013
    I have used both systems so I am pretty familiar with the menus and controls of both. I liked my Nikon gear but since I am not a professional, paying a $2K premium (based on current Canon rebates) is hard to swallow.
    Post edited by var1abl3 on
  • spraynprayspraynpray Posts: 6,545Moderator
    edited November 2013
    Don't know if you guys have heard of a bloke called 'Guy Gowan', but I was at one of his seminars yesterday and (I have to give him full marks for his self assured attitude when selling himself) he used to work for Adobe but says the Adobe RAW converter is sh1t and all Nikon digital cameras are sh1t but the Canon 5D3 is the best. All digital cameras only have half the DR of the human eye.

He is a retoucher by trade. I only mentioned that because of the last few posts. If you want to see 'smug' in action, check his videos.
    Post edited by spraynpray on
    Always learning.
  • sevencrossingsevencrossing Posts: 2,800Member
    .....Don't know if you guys have heard of a bloke called 'Guy Gowan', says the Adobe RAW converter is sh1t and all Nikon digital cameras are sh1t ,,,,,.
    He also says ( 2 years ago when I met him ) Lightroom is also shit, hates what he calls the wang bars

(when he not selling himself, he is a really nice guy and a mind of information )

@Var1abl3: what does your shopping list look like? What Nikon gear do you compare to what Canon gear? You r shopping list must be rather long when you can save $2K between brands.
  • spraynprayspraynpray Posts: 6,545Moderator
    @sevencrossing: Yes, he gave exactly the same speech, calling us all a bunch of wangers....

He did show that the raw converter of Aperture is better than Adobe's offering though.
    Always learning.
  • sevencrossingsevencrossing Posts: 2,800Member
    edited November 2013
    spraynpray it was 2 years ago so cant remember but he did not shoot or do anything I could not do with a Nikon , a PC and Lightroom . He sat next to me a lunch and he gave a lots of tips on selling and making large pano exhibition prints
    Post edited by sevencrossing on
  • manhattanboymanhattanboy Posts: 1,003Member
    edited November 2013
    If Nikon is losing market share, why the heck are they not going toe to toe with Canon?! Its as if Nikon has generally written off the DSLR market and chosen to try to milk wealthy consumers with "trendy" products marketed by celebrities.
    After having written that I came across this link:
    http://photographylife.com/announcing-the-nikon-dfb-burberry-edition

LOL, they hit a little too close to home there.
    Post edited by manhattanboy on
    @henrik1963: I need to replace my two D700s as well as 6-7 lenses. At $300+ per rebate per lens, those rebates start adding up fast.
    @var1abl3: $2K is $2K. I know a full time pro who uses Canon gear. Before he turned pro he was using Nikon gear - I know BC I helped him buy his first camera. I asked what made him go from Nikon to Canon. He said he looked around and discovered that most of the other photogs around him was using Canon. As he did not have a lot of money in the beginning he decided that he had a greater chance of borrowing a lens if he used the same gear as the others.

I asked him if he ever wanted to go back to using Nikon gear. He said: Nothing prevents me from getting the pictures I want with the gear I have.

Maybe you can get the pictures you want with Canon gear? If yes - then $2k is $2K is a lot of money :-)

Best of luck
  • ThomasHortonThomasHorton Posts: 323Member
    Besides, one week after you buy your Canon kit, Nikon will release some rebates. LoL
    Gear: Camera obscura with an optical device which transmits and refracts light.
  • shawninoshawnino Posts: 453Member
    Main blog claims rebate program next week.
  • ChasCSChasCS Posts: 309Member
    It would be nice if the big camera companies had less stringent rebates, and would honor our past purchases that were not that far off distant. Sort of like an extended price protection plan. Giving you more of an incentive, not to have to wait for those great sales or promos, to prompt you not only to buy but buy bigger.
    D800, AF-S NIKKOR 80-400mm f/4.5-5.6G ED VR, B+W Clear MRC 77mm, AF-S NIKKOR 24-120mm f/4G ED VR, Sigma DG UV 77mm,
    SB-910~WG-AS3, SB-50, ME-1, Lexar Professional 600x 64GB SDXC UHS-I 90MB/s* x2, 400x 32GB SDHC UHS-I 60MB/s* x1
    Vanguard ALTA PRO 263AT, GH-300T, SBH-250, SBH-100, PH-22 Panhead
    Lowepro S&F Deluxe Technical Belt and Harness ~ Pouch 60 AW 50 AW & 10, S&F Toploader 70 AW, Lens Case 11 x 26cm
    FE, NIKKOR 2-20mm f/1.8, OPTEX UV 52mm, Vivitar Zoom 285, Kodacolor VR 1000 CF 135-24 EXP DX 35mm, rePlay XD1080

• Vipmediastar_JZVipmediastar_JZ Posts: 1,708Member
    Well. Looks like nikon will offer black friday rebates according to the blog.
    I wonder if its a lens and camera combo. If so can you return the camera and keep thelena at the rebate price as apposed to selling it?
  • shawninoshawnino Posts: 453Member
    Well. Looks like nikon will offer black friday rebates according to the blog.
    I wonder if its a lens and camera combo. If so can you return the camera and keep thelena at the rebate price as apposed to selling it?
    I think the racket is to sell the body new on EBay.

What's grinding my gears of late is this 2,4,6% rebate at B&H... for American residents only. Why can't they give that to all customers?

I can just see me opening a restaurant and saying:
    "Well, if you're of THIS race/faith/citizenship your meal costs $20
    ...but...
    If you're of THAT race/faith/citizenship your meal is 6% off."

Wouldn't be tolerated--and rightfully not.
    Vipmediastar_JZ said: Well. Looks like nikon will offer black friday rebates according to the blog.

Yes the discount/rebate price is only good when buying a DSLR & a lens. I am like you, where are those rebates of years past when there was no qualifying camera body. I loved those and always bought lens with rebates.
  • sattiganalsattiganal Posts: 36Member
    Nikon BF rebates are live on nikon USA site. Just add a qualifying body to the cart and the eligible items show up there with discounted price. Few samples with d610 - $200 off on 24-70 f2.8, $300 off on 70-200 f2.8 and $100 off on 85f1.8g etc....
    Nikon D200, D610
    28,50,85 f1.8G; 24-120 f4 VR; 70-300 f4.5-5.6 VR; Rokinon 8mm f3.5 fisheye

http://www.flickr.com/photos/96054917@N06/
    Does anyone know if the rebates are only going to be available through the Nikon USA site? I do not see the rebates on B&H.