Dangers From Being A Photog?

Comments

• HockeyManHockeyMan Posts: 68Member
    I don't post very often, but hearing about your terrible incident made me really sad. Holy mother of g... VTC, I'm so sorry!!! I would never expect to hear that about someone going to Spain. Wishing you a speedy and full recovery!
    D800, 14-24mm f/2.8, 50mm f/1.4G, 85mm f/1.4G, 70-200mm f/2.8G VR II, TC17E II, D300, DX 18-200mm f/3.5-5.6G. Coolpix E5400, some AI lenses from my father.
  • spraynprayspraynpray Posts: 6,545Moderator
    Sorry to say that my experiences of Spain DO make me expect to hear that. As a general rule, where you have tourist hot-spots, you get vermin that prey on the tourists one way or another. Seems harsh I know.
    Always learning.
  • heartyfisherheartyfisher Posts: 3,186Member
    :'(
    Moments of Light - D610 D7K S5pro 70-200f4 18-200 150f2.8 12-24 18-70 35-70f2.8 : C&C very welcome!
    Being a photographer is a lot like being a Christian: Some people look at you funny but do not see the amazing beauty all around them - heartyfisher.

• WestEndFotoWestEndFoto Posts: 3,745Member
    edited November 2016
    I have always been careful about dealing with pickpockets or someone grabbing my gear and running. Spain is full of that. A friend of mine lost his 5D Mark 3 in Barcelona that way. However, being attacked with knives always seemed like a remote, despite real, risk.

Even in Vancouver you need to be careful, even though this situation is very very rare.
    Post edited by WestEndFoto on
  • CEBluecloudsCEBlueclouds Posts: 1,943Member
    Wishing you full and complete recovery VTC2002 ...sorry for the very unfortunate incidence...
  • donaldejosedonaldejose Posts: 3,692Member
    Terrible, vtc2002. All photographers should be able to carry a handgun for protection. We are all too often alone in places and times where others are not. I wish you a speedy recovery.
  • DenverShooterDenverShooter Posts: 416Member

Terrible, vtc2002. All photographers should be able to carry a handgun for protection. We are all too often alone in places and times where others are not. I wish you a speedy recovery.

Nothing like hiking in a couple of miles off from the beaten path by yourself way out in the middle of absolutely nowhere with zero cellphone service, 30 minute response time from the Sheriff (if you can get to where there is cell service to call them) and running into a major "two legged problem"..

Been There, Done That, Have the Tee Shirt.

Its a significant responsibility to carry concealed, one which shouldn't be taken lightly. That being said Concealed Permits are available in most States on a "must Issue" basis. Some require classroom training (4 to 8 hours) and some require range time and demonstrated proficiency.

There is reciprocity between some states for Permit holders which you can determine via searching the internet.

https://www.usconcealedcarry.com/travel/

And let me leave you with this thought from the 1953 movie Shane:

Shane: A gun is a tool, Marian; no better or no worse than any other tool: an axe, a shovel or anything. A gun is as good or as bad as the man using it. Remember that.

Denver Shooter
    edited November 2016
    but you cant take it to Spain, can you ? or just about any where else.. right?
    Post edited by heartyfisher on
    Moments of Light - D610 D7K S5pro 70-200f4 18-200 150f2.8 12-24 18-70 35-70f2.8 : C&C very welcome!
    Being a photographer is a lot like being a Christian: Some people look at you funny but do not see the amazing beauty all around them - heartyfisher.

but you cant take it to Spain, can you ? or just about any where else.. right?

Our Constitution and the 2nd Amendments are unique regarding the right to self defense and bearing arms. Outside of the USA you are on your own. Suggest security services if you are going into know "problem areas". Cheaper than hospitalization, medical air evacuation or funeral arrangements..

Denver Shooter
    Yes, if you are a criminal in the US, you are at a disadvantage. Most other places governments have required your prey to disarm themselves.
    edited November 2016

Yes, if you are a criminal in the US, you are at a disadvantage. Most other places governments have required your prey to disarm themselves.

LOL !

I guess ..... Maybe ...

I used to carry nunchucks :-) but I feel safer these days...

Still self defence skills are useful I think.. a tripod can be welded quite effectively I think(one of the reasons why my tripod legs are the type with pointy ends not soft rubber). And we have all heard that the camera and lense can be used to "drive nails" :-)

I mean I have also learnt to swim... I may not be anywhere near the skills of an Olympic champion but I stand a better chance than most if I should happen to find myself treading water.
    Similarly for self defence, I think its a good skill to pick up. (which include being aware and aware of escapes conditions, so you don't have to break your tripod ;-) ) I guess you pick up some "in-case skills" growing up in one of the most dangerous cities..

Nothing can "reach out to project force at a distance" like a .357 or .45 ACP bullet accurately fired from a handgun. We should not be required to get slashed up by a knife before we can act to protect ourselves. One shot put into the chest of a group of Thugs and all the rest will run away as fast as they can.
    I carry a 357 Magnum Smith & Wesson M&P 340CT.

Denver Shooter
    Since I am in Canada I will take the 5th on what I carry. Whups! We don't have the 5th in Canada. I am hooped.
    edited November 2016
    The thing is they will shoot first ... wont they. They sure sound like they would have if they had access to guns. My tripod would prefer a knife.. I feel. So would my feet, I think. I am quite sure I have a better chance to out run a knife.

Criminals don't obey gun laws because they are criminals. They buy their guns on the black market which is not controlled by any gun laws. Thus, if criminals want guns they can get them now, it just takes money. Existing and even more stringent gun laws will not prevent criminal who want guns from getting them.
    edited December 2016
    I am all for recreational use in a controlled environment. I have owned firearms and other fun stuff for hunting like spears and bows and arrows and slings. And I am also happy to report people with hand guns to the police who I happen to notice since we are not suppose to have them in public. You are right, criminals do get hold of hand guns even here (Australia). Gun control does not stop recreational use. I think it stops a lot of idiot use and casual criminals. I am happy Australia switched.

All this has got me itching to shoot/hunt again ... :-) Hmm ... maybe that is why I mainly like the Tele focal lengths.. Its my hunting instincts !!

• vtc2002vtc2002 Posts: 364Member
    Sorry it has taken me so long to reply. I have been checking in on my phone when I have felt well enough. I would like to thank everyone for their warm well wishes. I am still in the hospital and just finished another round of surgery. I am hoping to be able to leave the hospital late next week. My recovery is going to be long and I will have several deficits. Due to a lack of oxygen for a extended period of time I have lost some of my vision and have sustained damage to my vocal cords resulting in not being able to talk. I will start speech therapy next week which they are hoping will help. I have other issues but these are the ones that are most concerning.
    I have read the post about fighting back or defending your gear and yourself. I believe everyone is entitled to their own opinion and have the right to make their own decisions. My preference would be that no one be placed in the situation to start with. We were near the town of Costa Bravo, when four young men approached us. My guide kept saying in English very bad, lots of trouble, gang. We heard other voices so we were not sure how many people there were in the group. I have found that most of the time criminals are lazy and that if you just give them what they want they will leave you along. This wasn't the case with this group. When they attacked us my guide said play dead. I believe that saved our lives. It situation is different and different strategies may work better than others.
    I will try to post updates but I am limited to using my phone and still pretty weak. Please excuse any typos.
    BTW: no word on whether they have caught the individuals responsible for attacking us. I was testing two new models that will not be released until 2017. If they try to selling them they will be caught.
    My guide has been out of the hospital for a couple of weeks and should make a complete recovery.
  • Rx4PhotoRx4Photo Posts: 1,200Member
    Hello again Victor, I'd first like to say that your guide likely did help save your lives by suggesting you play dead. All this talk of gun toting is partly bravado. You were in Spain, not Kansas. My uncle once had his life spared by giving his wallet to a thug with a pistol before the guy even asked for it. But as you said, every situation's different. Furthermore, had you killed someone you'd probably be incarcerated at this point and for a very long time - in Spain. I'll pray that you have much success with rehab and that any deficits diminish over time.
    For the record, I do have a Black Belt in a particular hand to hand art of defense but I still wouldn't want to be in a position of needing it.
    D800 | D7000 | Nikkor 14-24mm f/2.8 | 24-70mm f/2.8 | 70-200mm f/2.8 | 35mm f/1.8G | 85mm f/1.4G | Sigma 35mm f/1.4 Art | Sigma 50mm f/1.4 Art | Sigma 50mm f/1.4 EX DG HSM | Zeiss 100mm Makro-Planar ZF.2 | Flash controllers: Phottix Odin TTL

• spraynprayspraynpray Posts: 6,545Moderator
    My God Vic. You have the best wishes of every NR member for sure. Keep us up to date on your progress mate.
    Always learning.
    I am praying for you Vic. Terrible injustice you suffered.
    @donaldejose Thank you for your prayers. I have had my camera equipment taken several times without injury. Granted this was unusually brutal but it happens more than most of is realize. It could have been worse. Hope to be out with camera in hand the first of the new year.
    yup... sure makes me want to go hunting .....

@Rx4Photo Thank you for your thoughts and prayers. I think we all have an idea of what we would do in a given situation but until you are in the moment you never know how you react. I have been confronted in the past and have found most criminals are lazy provoking them is not a good thing. Replacing all of my gear will be a fraction of the cost of my medical bills. I pray that no one on this forum ever has to go through anything like this in their life time.