Street Photography Gear Discussion

2»

Comments

• kyoshinikonkyoshinikon Posts: 411Member
    Respect of others, especially the less fortunate is very important in street photography.
    “To photograph is to hold one’s breath, when all faculties converge to capture fleeting reality. It’s at that precise moment that mastering an image becomes a great physical and intellectual joy.” - Bresson
  • SymphoticSymphotic Posts: 711Member
    edited November 2013
    I don't claim to be a street photographer, and I normally don't take pictures of people, other than my grandson. But once in a while I see people that I need to record. I always ask first. This was taken with a V1 and the kit 10-30 mm lens.
    120311_DSC_1393
    Post edited by Symphotic on
    Jack Roberts
    "Discovery consists in seeing what everyone else has seen and thinking what nobody else has thought"--Albert Szent-Gyorgy
  • TaoTeJaredTaoTeJared Posts: 1,306Member
    Golf007sd Good topic. I made a few change to the title in order to give it more pointed direction

as ever, we have yet again drifted off the original topic of gear and pancake lenses

may be just "street photography" would be better
    I want Pancakes! Or at a minimum updated 2.8s!

Note Pentax's lineup. Or just Pancakes

I fully understand the desire for 1.4s but reasonably, most of the time they are not needed. Landscapes, street, etc. you are shooting at f5.6 - f11 and if they are optimized at their max aperture or by f4 one is not missing much at all. Plus, they cost less.

When I walk around, travel, family stuff I do not like taking a huge camera with a zoom and don't want to give up on quality. With the DF I would hope either an update to the 2.8s or pancakes would follow. I would rather just have a 20/24/35/50 prime which is smaller and doesn't look so huge to others and to be honest I have no use for a 24mm f1.4. Pentax has created the whole like of pancakes and as Nikon has made a 45mm before, I would like to think they could update a whole line a pancakes with some ease.
    D800, D300, D50(ir converted), FujiX100, Canon G11, Olympus TG2. Nikon lenses - 24mm 2.8, 35mm 1.8, (5 in all)50mm, 60mm, 85mm 1.8, 105vr, 105 f2.5, 180mm 2.8, 70-200vr1, 24-120vr f4. Tokina 12-24mm, 16-28mm, 28-70mm (angenieux design), 300mm f2.8. Sigma 15mm fisheye. Voigtlander R2 (olive) & R2a, Voigt 35mm 2.5, Zeiss 50mm f/2, Leica 90mm f/4. I know I missed something...
  • MsmotoMsmoto Posts: 5,398Moderator
    Mmmm…. well, true confession time…. I do street photos with a D4 and 105/2.8 or 135/2.0 or any of the other "large lenses". And, some folks will comment on the camera size. I carry it on a Black-Rapid style strap and this allows me to move about with the camera either in front or hidden behind me. As I was raised in the 1950's (note I did not say "grew up") the photographers of the day were often shooting twin lens reflex Rollei's or 4"x5" Speed Graphics (about 6 lbs).

In almost all cases, I acknowledge my subject or ask permission, often offering $3 after the photo is captured. (I might take 5-10 clicks).

While there is a convenience factor with the smaller bodies, and my Olympus Pen E-PL2 fits this well, I find the difficulty I have trying to get the camera set as I like it, the poor hi ISO performance, and the small size make it less desirable overall.

The most critical factor in street photography, IMO, is the ability to interact with your subject. I would suggest the camera used is of almost no importance if one cannot relate in an empathetic manner.
    Msmoto, mod
  • SymphoticSymphotic Posts: 711Member
    。。。The most critical factor in street photography, IMO, is the ability to interact with your subject. I would suggest the camera used is of almost no importance if one cannot relate in an empathetic manner.
    Excellent point!
    Perhaps we should have a second category: first, true candid, surreptitious or click-and-run might be "street photography": a captured photograph. And a second, as yet unnamed, species of recording images of interesting subjects with full knowledge, consent, and interaction with the subject can be something else. In my case, I spend a lot of time talking to the subject to make them comfortable with me and I get a story to go with the recorded image.
    Jack Roberts
    "Discovery consists in seeing what everyone else has seen and thinking what nobody else has thought"--Albert Szent-Gyorgy
  • MikeGunterMikeGunter Posts: 543Member
    Hi all,

As a reporter - a long time ago - I carried a twin-lens Rollie or a Nikon F or F2 with a gaggle of lenses, but really, when I travel now, it's for fun and depending on whether I fell the need for changing lenses I might use a P&S.

Most street shots, IMHO, could likely be taken with a nice Canon G15/G16 or Nikon P7700. A lot easier to pack and carry.

I do also realize that there are times that a DSLR will only do, and I have a D5200 for travel, too.

Like most things, balance in what you want to do will determine what you are willing to carry and take. Sometimes I go on trips just to take pictures, sometimes to do other things. But to not take pictures is impossible.

My best,

Mike