ND filters and white balance

2»

Comments

• proudgeekproudgeek Posts: 1,422Member
    Does anyone know of Lee makes a Big Stopper that will fit into a Cokin P-Series holder?
  • kanuckkanuck Posts: 1,300Member
    I know this conversation is quite dated, but I just need to confirm something regarding this Lee SW-150 system. I have ordered the Singh Ray 6x6 Daryl Benson reverse filter, and 10 stop Hitech ND filter already to use for this Lee System on a 14-24 Nikkor. So if I understand correctly, I need to purchase the system adapter from Lee and a 77mm wide angle adapter ring in order to use the SW-150 on other wide 77mm nikon lenses? Has anyone else used the SW-150 on another lens and if so are these the only 2 additional items (system adapter + wide angle adapter ring) you needed? I ask because I do not have the 100mm Lee system. Thanks, and Merry Christmas to everyone :)
  • Vipmediastar_JZVipmediastar_JZ Posts: 1,708Member
    Just discovered these Sensor filters from STC

Looks interesting. Anybody tried them?
  • heartyfisherheartyfisher Posts: 3,186Member
    edited March 2017
    Yup looks interesting.... not sure if the back element of the lense will crash in to it ...

I guess they made sure mirror wont hit it....
    Post edited by heartyfisher on
    Moments of Light - D610 D7K S5pro 70-200f4 18-200 150f2.8 12-24 18-70 35-70f2.8 : C&C very welcome!
    Being a photographer is a lot like being a Christian: Some people look at you funny but do not see the amazing beauty all around them - heartyfisher.

• ericktessierericktessier Posts: 38Member
    The mirror won't hit because it's lifted. You can (must) only use Live View with those filters.
  • IronheartIronheart Posts: 3,017Moderator
    Here's a local distributor that has a bit more detail on the use and installation. I was considering their STC-ASTRO-MS as a way to cut light pollution for Astrophotography

From https://www.cyclopsoptics.com/filters/stc-astro-multispectra-clip-filter-nikon-full-frame/

FAQ

Where does the clip filter go?
    The clip filter sits nicely on the cavity in your camera body, before the mirror. It doesn't get in touch with the sensor at all.

Will the mirror damage the filter or vice versa?
    No, when the clip filter is in place, the mirror will rest on the clip filter frame which is made of 304 stainless steel and padded with shock absorbing material.

Is it okay to release the mirror lock?
    Absolutely! There is no harm to be caused to the mirror or the filter. It's perfectly fine to leave the clip filter in the body even when powered off.
    edited March 2017
    Hmmm ... I guess if you don't use the normal AF and only the liveview AF its fine...

I think messing with the mirror mechanism is too risky...
    Moments of Light - D610 D7K S5pro 70-200f4 18-200 150f2.8 12-24 18-70 35-70f2.8 : C&C very welcome!
    Being a photographer is a lot like being a Christian: Some people look at you funny but do not see the amazing beauty all around them - heartyfisher.

• spraynprayspraynpray Posts: 6,545Moderator
    Yep. I'm with you hearty.
    Always learning.
  • IronheartIronheart Posts: 3,017Moderator
    The mirror is on a spring. You should stick your fingers in there and see how it all works. Pretty tough little mechanism, if it were that fragile, it wouldn't last 400K cycles :wink: Just try not to touch the sensor, fingerprints are a pain to get off. If you are really that paranoid, just get a clunker on e-bay and mess with it. The mirror is actually the toughest part of the whole mechanism. $25-$30 on ebay will get you a DSLR you don't mind messing with...

So live view only when you use it and when you take a snap the mirror lifts and comes back down onto the clip filter? If that's the case, I would be using the camera in a way the designers never planned for which makes my cringe gland twitch.

Is the advantage of putting it at the back of the lens instead of the front really worth it? I'd like to see an/b comparison of it with a similar quality front fitted filter.
    Always learning.
    edited April 2017
    The springyness (sp?lol) of the mirror assembly is not a feature I want to test. As @spraynpray says "I would be using the camera in a way the designers never planned for" I also know that some of the newer mirror assembly designs work on a kind of geared motor assembly ( for improved speed and noise and less vibration in the mirror slap. ie. the mirror movement is "driven" rather than "flipped/slapped" .. I wouldn't want to see what happens(to the gears) when the driven mirror meets the filter(obstacle) mid flight.

I haven't sent one of my body's that fell to Nikon for repair. It only focus in live view so I can Definitely give this a try. I haven't bought filters or a kit for 14-24mm so this may work well for me and less expensive.
    I look forward to more feedback from you Vip.
    Always learning.
    edited April 2017
    I was going to order but it is $40.00 to ship to USA. I'm going to wait a bit to see if the local stores or amazon carries them. Its kinda steep for a package that small.
    Edit: Cyclops is US$8.25 shipping. I will be ordering.
    Post edited by Vipmediastar_JZ on
  • EricBowlesEricBowles Posts: 27Member
    The main issue with strong ND filters is related to IR Spectrum. Most older ND films do not block IR light. This problem normally starts showing up at 8-10 stops of ND unless the filter also blocks IR wavelengths.

The IR filtering on the camera sensor is about 14.5 stops or a little more. If a 10 stop filter does not block IR light, that leaves the IR light about 4.5 stops underexposed - but still enough for a color cast to show up. Many of the ND films - particularly older films or polarizing films - do not block IR light at all. Some of the newer films do block IR light nicely.

You can test a ND filter on an IR converted camera with an IR filter of 810nm or stronger.

The Formatt HiTech Firecrest filters are one of the newer products that provide blocking of IR spectrum. They fully block IR on my IR camera and work fine on conventional cameras. The price point is quite good at under $100 for a 77mm filter at B&H.

There are other filters that block IR spectrum, but you'll need to look closely and may need to do some testing. It's helpful to have a converted camera for testing to keep exposures manageable.
    edited July 2017
    Below are two examples of the Sensor ND filter. It is not difficult to use. The instructions in the box do not properly state how to use it. I am grateful i read somewhere how to do it so I knew I had to raise the mirror to do it. It's not a 100% secure fit but it does sit well. I have yet to to properly test and review. I can say it does make a difference.

Nikon 50mm 1.2 a-is at F2. I dind't want to miss at 1.2 for the self portraits.

Selfie

Mr. Fuji
    Post edited by Vipmediastar_JZ on