Whats a tripod good for..

2»

Comments

• PaRealtorPaRealtor Posts: 95Member
    edited December 2013
    I'm going to use it like heart...suggested.

Over my head to capture a shot!
    Post edited by PaRealtor on
  • spraynprayspraynpray Posts: 6,545Moderator

Now, all I need is my D400. 8->
    For real estate? You joking?
    8-|
    Always learning.
  • FreezeActionFreezeAction Posts: 909Member
    edited December 2013
    Any thing I shoot that is going to be enlarged I use a tripod on period. And a remote release with mirror locked. VR maybe good enough for smaller images but poster and up every little advantage counts. For action shots I've used a monopod with the lens mounted to it instead of the camera. IMHO if it is worth the cost of getting there and the walk it is worth the effort to make it my best. At my age with some shakes my tripod is simply a must use a lot of the time. I've just acquired a tripod that will allow for nice two layer stitched pans.
    Post edited by FreezeAction on
  • MsmotoMsmoto Posts: 5,398Moderator
    @sevencrossing

Thanks, great video
    Msmoto, mod
    edited December 2013
    Well after some dwelling on the thoughts of uses there is one that has not been covered. If it was sorry I missed it . I photo a fair amount of art work for reproduction for friends as I have a fine art printer. No way to do it without the tripod and remote release or self timer. I use a heavy carbon fiber model with a geared triangular column so it can't twist and therefore can take a series of shots and splice just like doing pans. Currently working with a machine shop to make a support that will allow me to do a complete checkerboard set of images for larger paintings. I'm still searching for a support that is already in production for lateral movement that will allow me to keep the whole shebang square with the world so to speak.
    Post edited by FreezeAction on
  • heartyfisherheartyfisher Posts: 3,186Member
    edited December 2013

Now, all I need is my D400. 8->
    For real estate? You joking?
    8-|
    Heh.. The d400 will be a very versatile pro level camera! It will be an awesome camera for real estate photography! And everything else!
    Post edited by heartyfisher on
    Moments of Light - D610 D7K S5pro 70-200f4 18-200 150f2.8 12-24 18-70 35-70f2.8 : C&C very welcome!
    Being a photographer is a lot like being a Christian: Some people look at you funny but do not see the amazing beauty all around them - heartyfisher.

• PaRealtorPaRealtor Posts: 95Member
    edited December 2013
    Thank You!!!! I'm looking forward to it heartyfisher! If it's not here or announced by February 1, I will go with D610. This way, I can purchase the D400 when it finally comes out and I'll own both a DX and a FX, like so many of you, I'll have Two!!!
    LOL
    No, seriously, this is an expensive hobby, but the amazing photos are breathtaking and PRICELESS!
    DX is best for Real estate, but if I can't have the D400, I'd rather buy the D610. Most say, purchase FX lenses only. We'll see....stay tuned...

Getting back to tripods, that video was Amazing!!!!!!
    Post edited by PaRealtor on
    Great entertaining video. =D>
  • heartyfisherheartyfisher Posts: 3,186Member
    edited December 2013
    Well after some dwelling on the thoughts of uses there is one that has not been covered. If it was sorry I missed it . I photo a fair amount of art work for reproduction for friends as I have a fine art printer. No way to do it without the tripod and remote release or self timer. I use a heavy carbon fiber model with a geared triangular column so it can't twist and therefore can take a series of shots and splice just like doing pans. Currently working with a machine shop to make a support that will allow me to do a complete checkerboard set of images for larger paintings. I'm still searching for a support that is already in production for lateral movement that will allow me to keep the whole shebang square with the world so to speak.
    interesting "problem".. reminds me of something like this .. http://www.npr.org/blogs/pictureshow/2009/09/redwoods.html

But for you maybe a kind of robot arm may be best.. ? let me see if i can find something. ... http://robai.com/robots/gamma-1500/

Post edited by heartyfisher on
    Moments of Light - D610 D7K S5pro 70-200f4 18-200 150f2.8 12-24 18-70 35-70f2.8 : C&C very welcome!
    Being a photographer is a lot like being a Christian: Some people look at you funny but do not see the amazing beauty all around them - heartyfisher.

interesting "problem".. reminds me of something like this .. http://www.npr.org/blogs/pictureshow/2009/09/redwoods.html

But for you maybe a kind of robot arm may be best.. ? let me see if i can find something. ... http://robai.com/robots/gamma-1500/

Thanks for the links. After some searching I've found a way to build a square with the world slider that will do multiple rows of images. Turns out it is much more simple than I thought it would be. And not near the price tag of the robotic arm. Love that tree.

• MsmotoMsmoto Posts: 5,398Moderator
    Just a note… in some venues tripods, monopods, even backpacks are prohibited….as in the Porsche by Design Exhibit in Raleigh, North Carolina. Thus, understanding how to create a "body tripod" is sometimes useful.
    Msmoto, mod
    Just a note… in some venues tripods, monopods, even backpacks are prohibited….as in the Porsche by Design Exhibit in Raleigh, North Carolina. Thus, understanding how to create a "body tripod" is sometimes useful.
    And in some foreign countries they are also prohibited. Sad. Understandably they can be a trip hazard. Going back to all the National Geographic magazines from decades back with photos taken using 8x10 film a tripod made those possible. I completely understand the weight issue of hiking up a mountain trail with added weight too. Been there and I know the chore. Some of us might need a string of mules to carry our gear or llamas that don't spit. In the end we need every from of stabilizing tools we can get our hands on.

• MikeGunterMikeGunter Posts: 543Member
    what is this bit of gear good for?
    Hi all,

Taking pictures.

My best,

Mike

• PhotobugPhotobug Posts: 5,751Member
    Tripods are good for this camera in dim light.....Japanese scientists have created a camera with a shutter speed so fast, they can now photograph a woman with her mouth shut.

I know whacky humor. :((
    D750 & D7100 | 24-70 F2.8 G AF-S ED, 70-200 F2.8 AF VR, TC-14E III, TC-1.7EII, 35 F2 AF D, 50mm F1.8G, 105mm G AF-S VR | Backup & Wife's Gear: D5500 & Sony HX50V | 18-140 AF-S ED VR DX, 55-300 AF-S G VR DX |
    |SB-800, Amaran Halo LED Ring light | MB-D16 grip| Gitzo GT3541 + RRS BH-55LR, Gitzo GM2942 + Sirui L-10 | RRS gear | Lowepro, ThinkTank, & Hoodman gear | BosStrap | Vello Freewave Plus wireless Remote, Leica Lens Cleaning Cloth |