McLaren to Replace Windshield Wipers with Electronic Force Fields (Camera lenses too?)

ChasCSChasCS Posts: 309Member
edited December 2013 in Fun & Weird
After watching Nikon cameras get exposed to all sorts of H2o, for the sake of showing they have the parts...
So wouldn't it be great, if an electronic force field couldn't be used someday to expel, all foreign matter, including dust, excessive moisture, and perhaps even smoke.

McLaren to Replace Windshield Wipers with Electronic Force Fields
19 Dec 2013 |

Windshield wipers Soon to be obsolete?

Whether you drive a Ferrari or a Fiesta, your car has windshield wipers. And they operate on the same principle as they have for over a hundred years: A piece of rubber on an arm is dragged across glass to squeegee it clean.

British supercar manufacturer McLaren is moving away from that antiquated system, looking to technology for a better solution. As McLaren Chief Designer Frank Stephenson told the UK's Sunday Times, "I asked [a military source] why you don't see wipers on some aircraft on when they are coming in at very low levels for landing... I was told that it's not a coating on the surface but a high frequency electronic system that never fails and is constantly active. Nothing will attach to the windscreen."

Following that revelation, Stephenson has cooked something up that will reportedly be on McLaren's 2015 models. Unfortunately he's not saying exactly what it is, only that it will replace wipers altogether. The article speculates that:

It is expected to use high-frequency sound waves similar to those used by dentists for removing plaque from teeth and by doctors for scanning unborn babies. By in effect creating a force field, water, insects, mud and other debris will be repelled from the screen.
The Daily Mail claims that "The system... once perfected could be produced for the mass market for as little as £10." I'm not sure how they know that since no one knows what the system really is, but if they're right and this feature goes mass-market, there are at least two bodies this is really going to piss off: 1.) Bosch, which has the largest windshield wiper factory in the world and produces some 350,000 blades per day; and 2.) Those jerks who canvass parking lots with commercial flyers.

What an interesting method of retarding moisture...

Someday in the distant future, or perhaps sooner, all our lens, even eyeglasses 'could' have a magic field of repellant.
Post edited by Msmoto on
D800, AF-S NIKKOR 80-400mm f/4.5-5.6G ED VR, B+W Clear MRC 77mm, AF-S NIKKOR 24-120mm f/4G ED VR, Sigma DG UV 77mm,
SB-910~WG-AS3, SB-50, ME-1, Lexar Professional 600x 64GB SDXC UHS-I 90MB/s* x2, 400x 32GB SDHC UHS-I 60MB/s* x1
Vanguard ALTA PRO 263AT, GH-300T, SBH-250, SBH-100, PH-22 Panhead
Lowepro S&F Deluxe Technical Belt and Harness ~ Pouch 60 AW 50 AW & 10, S&F Toploader 70 AW, Lens Case 11 x 26cm
FE, NIKKOR 2-20mm f/1.8, OPTEX UV 52mm, Vivitar Zoom 285, Kodacolor VR 1000 CF 135-24 EXP DX 35mm, rePlay XD1080

Comments

• spraynprayspraynpray Posts: 6,545Moderator
    I tried Rain-ex on the outside of the screen once and it works unbelievably well over 45mph. You turn off the wipers and the rain disappears BUT at lower speeds, there is an instants 'misting' behind the wiper that is less good. Looks like a force-field from inside!
    Always learning.
  • DenverShooterDenverShooter Posts: 416Member
    The "smear" is a result of oils and dirt on the wiper blade. If you wipe the blade edge with a wet paper towel until its clean the "smear" will go away. And Rainex rocks.

Denver Shooter
  • PapermanPaperman Posts: 469Member
    There is bird poo, leaves, snow build up + all dirt accumulated while not driving....Lots of things wipers clean other than just rainwater & spray. And McLaren must have thought everyone would be driving at the speed of a jet fighter :) ( commercial planes have wipers )
  • kyoshinikonkyoshinikon Posts: 411Member
    I think this isn't going to be fesable due to the cost and the incresing study and awareness of dirty electricity and its negative effects. I do expect to see more micro and nano coatings out there to repel water as the tech is there and the cost is coming down rapidly.
    “To photograph is to hold one’s breath, when all faculties converge to capture fleeting reality. It’s at that precise moment that mastering an image becomes a great physical and intellectual joy.” - Bresson
  • blandbland Posts: 812Member
    Windshield wipers are like shirt pockets, you're always going to need them.
  • shawninoshawnino Posts: 453Member
    The state-of-the-art "tech" for the F1 drivers is of course to rip off a layer of plastic from their visor and throw it away.

As a long time McLaren fan, I wish they'd spend more time making improvements on the F1 car that I can watch every second Sunday as opposed to cleaning the windscreen of a car I'll never afford. This past season was painful to watch.

Oh well. If I've learned anything from watching F1 in the last decade... it's the German national anthem.
  • WestEndBoyWestEndBoy Posts: 1,456Member
    Windshield wipers are like shirt pockets, you're always going to need them.
    Europeans usually wear pocketless shirts with suits. That explains why it took a Europen to think outside the box in regards to windshield wipers.
  • spraynprayspraynpray Posts: 6,545Moderator
    As a long time McLaren fan, I wish they'd spend more time making improvements on the F1 car that I can watch every second Sunday as opposed to cleaning the windscreen of a car I'll never afford. This past season was painful to watch.

Oh well. If I've learned anything from watching F1 in the last decade... it's the German national anthem.
    Absolutely spot on with that assessment Shawn. The previous year was pretty rubbish too.

F1 in general is on it's last chance next year. MotoGP rocks though!
    Always learning.
  • ChasCSChasCS Posts: 309Member
    @Msmoto,
    Msmoto commented on your discussion.

[McLaren to Replace Windshield Wipers with Electronic Force Fields (Camera lenses too?)]
    Did I hear MotoGP? I will admit, my favorite is "T"

I went to the thread to read your comment, but it was already deleted?
    Not sure what T is, but I Love watching 'my' auto racing.

Still praying for Michael Schumacher to fully recover from his tragic ski accident.
    It's unimaginable that such a talented driver, should almost die on a mountain side, at a ski resort, rather than in his race care, driving at over 200 mph. Please come back...
    D800, AF-S NIKKOR 80-400mm f/4.5-5.6G ED VR, B+W Clear MRC 77mm, AF-S NIKKOR 24-120mm f/4G ED VR, Sigma DG UV 77mm,
    SB-910~WG-AS3, SB-50, ME-1, Lexar Professional 600x 64GB SDXC UHS-I 90MB/s* x2, 400x 32GB SDHC UHS-I 60MB/s* x1
    Vanguard ALTA PRO 263AT, GH-300T, SBH-250, SBH-100, PH-22 Panhead
    Lowepro S&F Deluxe Technical Belt and Harness ~ Pouch 60 AW 50 AW & 10, S&F Toploader 70 AW, Lens Case 11 x 26cm
    FE, NIKKOR 2-20mm f/1.8, OPTEX UV 52mm, Vivitar Zoom 285, Kodacolor VR 1000 CF 135-24 EXP DX 35mm, rePlay XD1080

• HipShotHipShot Posts: 528Member
    Next up : Prescription Windshields.
  • MsmotoMsmoto Posts: 5,398Moderator
    Gosh, I did not know that partial comment was posted, but, I was thinking of Valentino Rossi in MotoGP. Of course there are others who now dominate, but he could ride a bike with tires gone as well as anyone.

I am a fan of motorsports of all types.
    Msmoto, mod
  • JuergenJuergen Posts: 315Member

Absolutely spot on with that assessment Shawn. The previous year was pretty rubbish too.

F1 in general is on it's last chance next year. MotoGP rocks though!
    Not that I feel sooooo sorry for you guys, but here is a little present from me :-)

Short Track 7

Jürgen
    D4, D800E, Nikon 1 J2, 600 f/4, trinity, PC-E 45, PC-E 24, 105, 50 f/1,8g, 85 f/1,4, Sigma 150-500
  • PhotobugPhotobug Posts: 5,751Member
    Jurgen, that is an excellent shot.
    I always enjoy watching these events in the Olympics. One bad move and down goes the competition. It's crazy how much speed they generate on ice.
    D750 & D7100 | 24-70 F2.8 G AF-S ED, 70-200 F2.8 AF VR, TC-14E III, TC-1.7EII, 35 F2 AF D, 50mm F1.8G, 105mm G AF-S VR | Backup & Wife's Gear: D5500 & Sony HX50V | 18-140 AF-S ED VR DX, 55-300 AF-S G VR DX |
    |SB-800, Amaran Halo LED Ring light | MB-D16 grip| Gitzo GT3541 + RRS BH-55LR, Gitzo GM2942 + Sirui L-10 | RRS gear | Lowepro, ThinkTank, & Hoodman gear | BosStrap | Vello Freewave Plus wireless Remote, Leica Lens Cleaning Cloth |