Nikon Film Cameras anyone?

Comments

• DJBee49DJBee49 Posts: 133Member
    Nice post neversink. My darkroom is also in storage, waiting for the mythical day when I have some time to set it up. Great camera list!
  • neversinkneversink Posts: 6Member
    Ms. Moto... Thanks for the Nikon F pic. Looks very similar to my old one!!! I love all the brassing and scratches and even the dents on the metal lens shade. Brings back good memories of my old one that got nicked.... Do you ever shoot it anymore??.... Definitely going to purchase a "new" used one from ebay or elsewhere. I just loved shooting the F so much. It was quite a technological advance from my old Exacta.
  • neversinkneversink Posts: 6Member
    DJBee49 - Love those cameras. Can't seem to part with any of them.... Would love to get back into the darkroom also.... I will have to start scanning some of my 350,000+ negs and slides (maybe just a few of them!!!!) Scanning is such a pain!
  • DJBee49DJBee49 Posts: 133Member
    neversink. I have already started scanning some of my many thousands of negs. and transparencies. The idea is that I present each of my four grown up children with a photographic book of their childhood. Much inspiration there from Sally Mann but sadly my images are not in the same ball-park as hers! You are right about scanning, it takes a long time but I am glad to say that my digital editing skills have improved greatly in the last year or so.

My favourite 35mm. cameras are my Olympus OM1s and OM2. I still think they are the sweetest 35mm cameras ever designed, although I love my Nikon F100 too! Unlike Msmoto's Nikon F the meters on these worked very well but I too have always used incident readings for reversal film. I also have my Mamiya 645 kit, another beautiful camera. Like you, I have been unable to stomach selling them. My favourite camera of all though is my 4X5 Horseman Monorail with its two beautiful Nikkors, backs, DD slides etc.. Also sadly languishing in my loft. Too much to do- I need a time manufacturing machine!
  • MsmotoMsmoto Posts: 5,398Moderator
    @neversink

I have not shot film in several years. My project list is so long I will never get it completed, LOL.

I even have a single Nikkor SS developing tank..the one with the SS cover...Apparently I sold most of the darkroom equipment, or it was lost somewhere. But, I still have two "F" bodies, a 24, 35, 85 and 300mm lenses, all Nikon. I will occasionally shoot the D4 in full manual mode, but usually this is with flash.

My Gossen Luna Pro has been converted with new batteries, and I use it occasionally. I am hoping Nikon produces a full frame non-mirror camera which is like the old Nikon rangefinders...but, alas, this most likely will not come to fruition.
    Msmoto, mod
  • haroldpharoldp Posts: 984Member
    @ macsavageg4

I had to laugh....I used to buy the 100' rolls of Plus-X and reload the cartridges (1960's). It was in a day when the cartridges were sturdy and could be reloaded at least ten or more times. The cracking them open on the counter was always interesting when we developed the film, then just left the pieces in a a box until we reloaded. Ah for the "good old days"
    My experience was radically different, I mostly used Tri-X.

Nikon F, Photomic, FTN, N90s, F100. (and Leica M2, M6).

D810, D3x, 14-24/2.8, 50/1.4D, 24-70/2.8, 24-120/4 VR, 70-200/2.8 VR1, 80-400 G, 200-400/4 VR1, 400/2.8 ED VR G, 105/2 DC, 17-55/2.8.
    Nikon N90s, F100, F, lots of Leica M digital and film stuff.

I wonder if we have to be over sixty years old to participate on this thread? :))
    Msmoto, mod
  • haroldpharoldp Posts: 984Member
    I wonder if we have to be over sixty years old to participate on this thread? :))
    I knew the answer to that but can't remember.

.... H
    D810, D3x, 14-24/2.8, 50/1.4D, 24-70/2.8, 24-120/4 VR, 70-200/2.8 VR1, 80-400 G, 200-400/4 VR1, 400/2.8 ED VR G, 105/2 DC, 17-55/2.8.
    Nikon N90s, F100, F, lots of Leica M digital and film stuff.

• PB_PMPB_PM Posts: 4,494Member
    edited March 2013
    Nah, you don't need to be 60+. I shot film when I was young (in the 1980's). I never developed my own film though, so I don't have that experience. I was still shooting film full time until 2005. Yeah, I was a bit of a late comer to digital.
    Post edited by PB_PM on
    If I take a good photo it's not my camera's fault.
  • NSXTypeRNSXTypeR Posts: 2,286Member
    Nah, I shot 2 rolls of film and I haven't broken 3 decades yet. :D

Hi everyone! I've been busy with work lately so I haven't posted for a while.

I found my dad's old semi-soft case for the FM2 and his old manual and warranty papers.

New and Old

Manual

Boy that manual is thin.

And with the semi-soft case off.

FM2
    Nikon D7000/ Nikon D40/ Nikon FM2/ 18-135 AF-S/ 35mm 1.8 AF-S/ 105mm Macro AF-S/ 50mm 1.2 AI-S
    How interesting...tomorrow I am taking two lenses, a NIKKOR-H Auto 1:1.8 f=85mm, and a NIKKOR-P Auto 1:4.5 f=300mm over to John White so he can convert these to be used on the D4 body. The results should be interesting. Maybe over 70...LOL
    Msmoto, mod
  • scoobysmakscoobysmak Posts: 215Member
    Well I bit the bullet and picked up a FM3a with a MD-12 motor drive (confession: the motor drive was so I don't forget to advance the film, just not a natural thing for me to do anymore plus it was pretty cheap). It will be a while before I really get to use it but I have been looking at possibly processing E6 film at home. It appears if you do it on a regular basis so your chemicals don't go bad its way cheaper than sending it to a lab. The problems seem to be a good space to do it and being able to control the exact temperatures of your chemicals when you do start the process. I still don't think it will compare to using a D800 even if I had the best scanner in the world, but the pride of being able to do 75% of the work can give a feeling of satisfaction on its own.
    edited May 2013
    Well, sort of along the lines of the film cameras, a shot on my D4 from an 85mm 1:1.8, Nikkor-H from 1966.

NIKKOR-H 85mm f1-1.4 (Ca. 1966)

Large: http://www.flickr.com/photos/fantinesfotos/8706075576/sizes/o/in/photostream/
    Post edited by Msmoto on
    Msmoto, mod
  • VinceVince Posts: 3Member
    I see everyone has cool cameras here! :)

Just a kid here but as for me, I do own an F50 and an F-601... But I do dream of getting an F3 and an F80 :">
  • mrcronkitemrcronkite Posts: 2Member
    My first SLR was a N90s. Still have it and still love it. Every once in a while I will play with it to remind me why I got into photography.
  • Nick0nNick0n Posts: 3Member
    F65 with Tmax 400.

Bought the body some years ago second hand for 50 Euros at a camera shop.

It looked brand new.
  • ZSChowZSChow Posts: 72Member
    Oh hey another F65 user! Picked it up for 15 pounds on ebay, practically new. Shot a few rolls of HP5+, but haven't gotten around to developing them yet, and just found some super cheap Kodak Gold 200 (74p each for 36 exp, bargain!). Helps that it works with modern lenses so co-using it with digital hasn't been a problem.
    Don't try, don't know, so I keep trying.
  • kyoshinikonkyoshinikon Posts: 411Member
    Im in my 20's and an avid film shooter (and I am not in school).... It is a craft of its own.
    “To photograph is to hold one’s breath, when all faculties converge to capture fleeting reality. It’s at that precise moment that mastering an image becomes a great physical and intellectual joy.” - Bresson
    Just a word of support for those who shoot film...there are characteristics of film which are IMO not reproducible in the digital world. And, working within the restrictions of film is one of the reasons this exists. I still have a collection of tanks and trays...20" x 24" in which film was developed and many prints were made...even a fully stainless steel Nikkor tank for 35mm. All from the 1960's...love nostalgia...
    Msmoto, mod
  • birdmanbirdman Posts: 115Member
    edited June 2013
    I worked at Ritz Camera back in 2002 while still in college. We processed TONS and TONS of film daily, and the D100 was just announced I believe. Digital P & Shoots were just coming around; I bought a 3.0 MP Canon S30 for $499 and still own it. I really wanted the Nikon N90 (body only $450-500) but felt it was too advanced for me back then, and the N65 felt too cheaply made. I'll soon buy a used N90 (or F100) and want to go to Yosemite/Grand Canyon paired with my D800 and slew of lenses. Also, the two (2) lenses our Ritz store carried the most quantity of were the KIT lenses that were the first-gen "G" without the aper ring 28-80G & 28-200G.
    @Msmoto I am old-school as well. I have some pics on my Flickr that I processed last year from rolls over 15 years old. They were family pictures and I literally cried when I picked them up from Wal-Mart's lab. I had no idea what was going to be on any of the rolls. Needless to say, it was an emotional time because there were pics of family members no longer living in these "surprise" pictures. Industries force us into new/different technologies; as consumers, we buy what's offered. And 35mm color film development in N. America is going fast
    Post edited by birdman on
  • CorrelliCorrelli Posts: 135Member
    I finally said goodbye to my film equipment. Since I went digital I hardly ever used it again. I know that the quality of a good b&w print on high quality paper is hard if not impossible to get with a regular printer (I know there is special ink and paper, but that is not exactly inexpensive). So I decided to get rid of my FM3A, most of my manual focus lenses (at least the focal length that I got covered with AF lenses), my enlarger etc. Hope I will not regret it soon... :)
  • PhilBrownPhilBrown Posts: 1Member
    I love-I still have one-the Nikon F. It's the only camera that you could use to hammer nails to build a house and then take a picture of it.
  • kyoshinikonkyoshinikon Posts: 411Member
    edited June 2013
    http://www.nikonusa.com/en/Nikon-Products/Product-Archive/Film-Cameras/1776/N80.html#tab-ProductDetail-ProductTabs-RatingsReviewsimage

Could they possibly be re-releasing it :P...

I wanted to write a review but some web designer somewhere missed the boat on this product
    Post edited by kyoshinikon on
    “To photograph is to hold one’s breath, when all faculties converge to capture fleeting reality. It’s at that precise moment that mastering an image becomes a great physical and intellectual joy.” - Bresson
    @kyoshinikon

Funny....and it is evidence of no checking of how the system is working... I will bet the same person was in charge of quality control on the D600...LOL
    Msmoto, mod
  • scoobysmakscoobysmak Posts: 215Member
    This will be somewhat of a thread hijack but it does deal with film cameras. Since I am not at home to test this myself, could you take pictures with a fully manual film camera (FM2, FM3a, FE2, etc, etc) using an AF-S 300mm F4 and a Nikon TC-EX.X teleconverter. I am positive the 300mm will be fine since it has an aperture ring but I am not sure if the teleconverter will cause a problem.?