CPL and UV filters price, when do they start being any good?

1990eam1990eam Posts: 11Member
edited December 2013 in Nikon DSLR cameras
I thought shopping for filters would be easier haha.. I'm living for a couple months by a lake (south lake Tahoe if it matters) and I've been recommended to adquire a CPL filter to cut the glare off the snow and water and to also make the sky darker blue (amazing view from here). I've also been told that I should buy some UV filters to protect the lenses.

The thing is you can see filters for as low as 10 bucks and go as high as a hundred dollars each. So, what's is the price range at which filters are any good and don't distort the image too much?

I need a 67mm CPL filter, a 67mm UV and 77mm UV filters.. So what would you recommend?

Comments

• rbrylawskirbrylawski Posts: 222Member
    I'm a believer in the best quality filter you can afford. For me, I use B&W filters. They're very high quality glass with multi-layer coatings to reduce flare. Don't put a cheap filter on a good lens as your pictures won't be any better than the weakest link in your optic chain. My CPL cost about $70 and my UV filters about $40, depending on mm size.
    Nikon D7100; AF-S DX 35mm f1.8; AF-S DX Macro 40mm f2.8; AF-S DX 18-200mm VRII; SB-700 Speed Light and a bunch of other not very noteworthy stuff......
  • 1990eam1990eam Posts: 11Member
    I haven't found B&W's for that price on Amazon. Can you share some links if it's not a lot of trouble?
  • Golf007sdGolf007sd Posts: 2,840Moderator
    edited December 2013
    There are multiple topics on filters. Thus, this topic is being closed.

Please read the following topics:

Undecided between UV Filters

Filter protection

It timing is not an issue then let eBay be your friend.

Lastly, consider getting "step-up rings" and just get a 77mm CPL or ND filters for a great majority of your tasks. However, with respect to UV filter, you should get one for all your lenses.
    Post edited by Golf007sd on
    D4 & D7000 | Nikon Holy Trinity Set + 105 2.8 Mico + 200 F2 VR II | 300 2.8G VR II, 10.5 Fish-eye, 24 & 50 1.4G, 35 & 85 1.8G, 18-200 3.5-5.6 VR I SB-400 & 700 | TC 1.4E III, 1.7 & 2.0E III, 1.7 | Sigma 35 & 50 1.4 DG HSM | RRS Ballhead & Tripods Gear | Gitzo Monopod | Lowepro Gear | HDR via Promote Control System |
This discussion has been closed.