Recommended photography learning sites/books

2»

Comments

• ChasCSChasCS Posts: 309Member
    Have a glance in here All Things Photography.
    Check the left column...
    D800, AF-S NIKKOR 80-400mm f/4.5-5.6G ED VR, B+W Clear MRC 77mm, AF-S NIKKOR 24-120mm f/4G ED VR, Sigma DG UV 77mm,
    SB-910~WG-AS3, SB-50, ME-1, Lexar Professional 600x 64GB SDXC UHS-I 90MB/s* x2, 400x 32GB SDHC UHS-I 60MB/s* x1
    Vanguard ALTA PRO 263AT, GH-300T, SBH-250, SBH-100, PH-22 Panhead
    Lowepro S&F Deluxe Technical Belt and Harness ~ Pouch 60 AW 50 AW & 10, S&F Toploader 70 AW, Lens Case 11 x 26cm
    FE, NIKKOR 2-20mm f/1.8, OPTEX UV 52mm, Vivitar Zoom 285, Kodacolor VR 1000 CF 135-24 EXP DX 35mm, rePlay XD1080

• Benji2505Benji2505 Posts: 522Member
    There is an overload of learning material available, it would make more sense to focus on one aspect (light, comp, etc.) and then ask around.

Inspiration is a difficult aspect since many sources appeal to one person, but not to everybody. Here is a book I personally enjoyed:

http://www.amazon.com/Unforgettable-Photograph-Secrets-Taking-Pictures/dp/0761169237/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1388802223&sr=1-1&keywords=the+unforgettable+photograph

• mikepmikep Posts: 280Member
    mm, yeah i think there is only so much you can learn from books or videos, its really just a matter of taking pictures and gradually learning why some things are interesting and others are not

learn the basics and then just take pictures - you have to find what you like, and you cant learn that from anyone else

my recommendation is to also spend time on learning editing techniques, lightroom minimum and some photoshop as may be necessary. imo, editing is where pictures really come to life. again, you need to learn to edit your stuff how you like it

• NSXTypeRNSXTypeR Posts: 2,286Member
    edited August 2014
    Bump!

Art Wolfe is a really awesome travel photographer, it's a lot fun to watch him communicate and interact with the locals.

http://artwolfe.com/

He has a show called Travels to the Edge, Google it for a schedule.
    Post edited by NSXTypeR on
    Nikon D7000/ Nikon D40/ Nikon FM2/ 18-135 AF-S/ 35mm 1.8 AF-S/ 105mm Macro AF-S/ 50mm 1.2 AI-S
  • MsmotoMsmoto Posts: 5,398Moderator
    edited August 2014
    While reading a book, attending workshops, watching videos, etc., are all very informative, the actual attempt at the intended project is the real learning tool. And, as many have found, me certainly included, the failure rate may be quite high initially when attempting something new. But, this is often how skills are developed.

I like to believe that in learning photography one very helpful exercise is to grab a camera and prime lens, shoot it for a few days, then come back and see what one has captured, and review the areas of limitation as discovered by the actual practice. Also, utilizing the camera in as many different modes, etc., can help us to discover what actual happens as we screw up.

So, read a book on instructions of a photographic area, e.g., landscapes, then go shoot a few. Read the book again, and try to figure out what you did and did not do…. lots of fun laughing at ourselves…LOL :))
    Post edited by Msmoto on
    Msmoto, mod
  • IronheartIronheart Posts: 3,017Moderator
    @Msmoto, you and I must be from the same school. This is exactly how I approach photography. Well, life mostly too... A sense of humor at oneself is always helpful :)>-
  • roombarobotroombarobot Posts: 201Member

Exactly @msmoto. I just need some inspiration. For me, like you say, it is great to hear about a new-to-me technique, then go out and try to do it, practice, see the results, try again, iterate. My last technique like that was back-button auto focus. I still need more practice there.

Another one is not technique, but a project idea. I am always looking for photo project ideas and inspiration.

• bald_eaglebald_eagle Posts: 104Member
    Hi,
    I've always found the videos from Mike Browne informative (and also entertaining), but as others have said (and indeed Mike also always stresses in his videos), you have to get out and practice.
    Mike has a ton of free training videos posted on Youtube (search for "Mike Browne Photography") as well as offering some exclusive training Videos, a couple of eBooks, DVD and a 7 week course to buy on his website.
    The youtube videos cover everything from composition tips to which focal length to use and why..
    Don't know if I'm allowed to post links, but here's a link to Mike's website, where you can also find the free youtube videos sorted into topics ;)
    http://www.photographycourses.biz/
    Most importantly, have fun with your photography..

Baldy ;)
  • MsmotoMsmoto Posts: 5,398Moderator
    OK, in learning… well, I could not find many educational sites on how to photograph the sun, except to say that one must have the filter over the front of the lens or the heat build up kills the long lens and a lot of other stuff. So, my experiments, doing sunsets with IR filters, and in a few days attempting one with a filter which passes about 3% at 800 nm, then by 900 nm it pass 88%, this is the type of imaging I really find exciting. And, huge failure rate in the early trials, yet when finally completed, the result is nice. At least IMO….

Well, not many books on this except the technical stuff which does not tell how to do it.

Maybe the action of figuring this out, watching some videos found by searching on the net, and then going through the struggle of actually doing the job…. maybe this is where the real enjoyment cones.

There are many books, videos, etc., on riding a motorcycle at 180 mph….. but, nothing like the real thing! :D
    Msmoto, mod
  • kenadamskenadams Posts: 222Member
    One pretty cool resource I found is a website that takes a look at the history of photography as well as the basic principles and goes in depth on some older gear and techniques like film, Holga cameras, etc... although it's not for gearophiles.

it's called The Art of Photography, http://theartofphotography.tv/

There's tons of interesting stuff, and I think the show host is pretty cool.
  • roombarobotroombarobot Posts: 201Member

This has been a great discussion, I hope it keeps going!

One thing I often need is inspiration for just normal days around home. I am always taking pictures when I travel, but I want to be doing more photography. I want to find something fun to photograph in the neighborhood and around town. I need more inspiration for the local stuff.

How do you all find inspiration? Projects? Ideas for just everyday shooting?

• manhattanboymanhattanboy Posts: 1,003Member

One thing I often need is inspiration for just normal days around home. I am always taking pictures when I travel, but I want to be doing more photography. I want to find something fun to photograph in the neighborhood and around town. I need more inspiration for the local stuff.

Inspiration is all around you. One of the joys of photography is that it forces you to look at the world through rose-colored high quality Nikon glasses ;) Finding things of beauty and appreciation is what makes photography fun.

This has been a great discussion, I hope it keeps going!

Have you looked into macro photography? Do you have a garden? You can try taking photos of flowers, bugs, little stuff, and food.

Nearly all of the macro stuff I do is around the house, especially in the garden.

You can even do macros with electronics- the circuit boards are pretty cool stuff.

You don't necessarily have to start off with an expensive macro lens, you could probably just use a telephoto lens or reverse a 50mm prime.
    Nikon D7000/ Nikon D40/ Nikon FM2/ 18-135 AF-S/ 35mm 1.8 AF-S/ 105mm Macro AF-S/ 50mm 1.2 AI-S
  • Rx4PhotoRx4Photo Posts: 1,200Member
    Smoking Strobes dot com is very inspirational and educational. At least that's what I'm trying to tell my wife!!
    D800 | D7000 | Nikkor 14-24mm f/2.8 | 24-70mm f/2.8 | 70-200mm f/2.8 | 35mm f/1.8G | 85mm f/1.4G | Sigma 35mm f/1.4 Art | Sigma 50mm f/1.4 Art | Sigma 50mm f/1.4 EX DG HSM | Zeiss 100mm Makro-Planar ZF.2 | Flash controllers: Phottix Odin TTL

• WestEndBoyWestEndBoy Posts: 1,456Member
    This is slightly off topic, but I bit the bullet and enrolled in this program:

http://www.langara.bc.ca/continuing-studies/programs-and-courses/programs/photography/course-details.html

And this is the first course that I am taking:

http://www.langara.bc.ca/continuing-studies/programs-and-courses/programs/photography/pdf/course-outlines/practical-lighting.pdf

So in six years, at one night a week, I will have a college degree in photography. Cool!!!

I think I will like the comprehensiveness and structure that this will provide. Not to mention access to peers, models........
  • Michelle_C1Michelle_C1 Posts: 1Member
    This online course was originally designed for forensic investigations - but covers all the basics of photography like exposure, lighting, camera settings, etc.

Learn to ‘paint with light’ and capture a drop of water in motion through interactive challenges and exercises. There’s even a camera simulation to help you practice adjusting camera settings to obtain examination-quality photographs.

The six hour course is $79. http://www.nfstc.org/service/forensics-training/online-course-digital-crime-scene-photography/
  • michael007michael007 Posts: 4Member
    In fact, I have learned a lot photographic skills from this site. In addition, by searching “photography learning” in Google, you will get more sites about photography study.
    edited November 2014
    It's not really a photo learning site and he only sometimes talks about gear or editing, but I've been following Jeffrey Friedl's blog for a few years now and it's pretty high quality stuff. It also helps that he lives in a very photogenic part of Japan, and it's fun to hear his views on Japanese culture, customs, society and holidays. It's very much a lot of landscapes, architecture, portraiture, and a little bit of food photography.

It also helps that he shoots a lot with Nikon gear, and has a super rare 300mm F2 lens too.

Here's a link.

http://regex.info/blog/

Maybe Admin can reach out to him and ask him to do a guest post or something.
    Post edited by NSXTypeR on
  • bald_eaglebald_eagle Posts: 104Member
    Rx4Photo said:
    Smoking Strobes dot com is very inspirational and educational. At least that's what I'm trying to tell my wife!!
    Smoking strobes has some really great advice and tips, but the guys voice goes through me (like someone scraping their nails on a blackboard!!).. :O
    I can't imagine why you're having difficulty convincing your wife that you're only looking for inspiration.. ;) ;) :D :D

Baldy.
  • ggbutcherggbutcher Posts: 390Member
    Back in the 'olden days', I used to be a bit frustrated with what I'll call the feedback loop: set up a shot, take the shot, then, maybe in a couple of days, you have a print in your hands to regard the result of your effort. These days you can shoot something and be looking at it full-sized on a computer monitor in literally seconds.

In my view, there are two fundamentals you need to study 'from the pages': 1) the fundamentals of light and exposure and (maybe) a little composition, and 2) the owners manual for your tool of choice. Then, I'd go and shoot and review, shoot and review, shoot and review......

That said, I find some subjects to be vexing without some tutorial review. I haven't done it (yet), but I think astro photography would be such a subject, because there are a few exposure guidelines you need to know first so you don't spend a lot of time looking at black images. So, I think a bit of tutorial is good for a starting point, but after that, I want to play with it.

Regarding strobe photography, I think studying the craft of O. Winston Link would be good. Yep, train photography, so I'm a little prejudiced, but he really worked to get his images:

http://lens.blogs.nytimes.com/2012/11/16/when-steam-locomotion-ground-to-a-halt/
    http://www.artnet.com/artists/o-winston-link/