How often do you print your work?

SkintBritSkintBrit Posts: 79Member
edited January 2013 in General Discussions
PB_PM mentioned in another thread that most hobby shooters don't print their photos. As I also very rarely need to, it got me thinking, how many of us do, and if so, what volume do you need to get to before it becomes financially viable to buy the equipment yourself, and do it at home, rather than using a printing company?
D3s's D700 F100 / Trinity 2.8 Zooms & 1.4 Primes / 105 micro. SB900s with Pocket Wizard Flex TT5 / Mini TT1s. Camranger remote control system.

Comments

• spraynprayspraynpray Posts: 6,545Moderator
    I print images for club/district/national print competitions/exhibitions or for my own wall art if I like them enough. It is quite rare that I like an image enough to spend money printing it and to stare at it for a long time on my wall at home.

For me life is too short to print my own, so I either take as much care managing colour and then send it off to be printed or one of the guys in the club does it as he is into printing in a big way and is at least as good as the companies I've used before.
    Always learning.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 197
    edited January 2013
    I don't need to print anything I photograph - most of it ends up on the WEB somewhere - but I tend to make a few prints from the events I've photographed as they're local and I often get to visit the artists afterwards and they love to see themselves in photos!!

I have no idea (I'm burying my head in the sand here) how much I spend on cartridges and paper - if I did know, I'd probably stop. My printer takes 6 cartridges at 14€ a pop...

I use the correct profiles for the paper, which the printer seems to respect (Epson 1500w) so on paper I get pretty much what I see on the screen, although I notice they often lack a little in brightness, which I can live with.

I sometimes expose or mount a print so I do a few A3 (30x40cm) prints a year and frankly I prefer to be able to do these myself, purely for convenience, even if it probably costs more in the long run.

I think if I were not so damn impatient it would be cheaper to get them done by a print shop...
    Post edited by [Deleted User] on
  • framerframer Posts: 491Member
    I print digital photos about one day per month. I do my stuff and few others on that day. I own a picture framing store and print for a few clients. It's not a big money maker but does turn a small profit. It's nice to have total control on the few photo of mine that I print and it's worth every penny. I also sell a couple images per month off the walls which also helps the bottom line. I currently use the Epson 4900 and love it.

On the real film B&W printing, I still have a modest darkroom setup but only print about once per year.

IMHO Printing is an art form in its own right.

framer
  • IMHO Printing is an art form in its own right.
    +1 you are so right!

• warprintswarprints Posts: 61Member

IMHO Printing is an art form in its own right.
    You are so right.
    I have a Canon (shhh, don't tell anyone) Pro9000 Mk II for printing at home. Printing frequency varies a lot. Some weeks I may do no printing, but after some event I photographed, I might do a fair bit (but still no high volume). As far as when do-it-yourself printing becomes "viable", I guess when you can afford it without panicking over the ink costs.
  • spraynprayspraynpray Posts: 6,545Moderator
    When I bothered with owning an ink jet printer, I would go to use it and find that the nearly full cartridges were blocked and would not function correctly even after a cleaning cycle or ten. A furious swearing session always followed. It is waaay cheaper for me to get it do by somebody else!
    Always learning.
  • JJ_SOJJ_SO Posts: 1,158Member
    I also thought sometimes to buy an Epson or Canon fat printer, but wall space is limited and I know how it would end, at last when I have to buy the first cartridge pack at 2/3 the printer's price. But what I do, maybe 4-6 times a year: I sit down and layout a book. The last one was 12 × 18 inches and a full double side is already a big and nice thing to look at. Watching a book together and telling the stories behind the pics is nice, too.

I did also 3 different calendar as X-mas present. I think, it's a shame to let the pics rot on HDs. I found a good printer shop who delivers fast, reliable, in good or better quality different things, like books, calendars, thumb-movies. He also supplies color samples to get the colors straight. What I also want to order is a real big print, but it's tough to decide yet. For sure I don't want to look at for years.
  • tcole1983tcole1983 Posts: 981Member
    I print stuff a couple times a year at least. Either for my house or gifts. I also started a photofolio book of 8x10's that I have been trying to put some of my better shots in. I plan to print some here soon to put up at work.
    D5200, D5000, S31, 18-55 VR, 17-55 F2.8, 35 F1.8G, 105 F2.8 VR, 300 F4 AF-S (Previously owned 18-200 VRI, Tokina 12-24 F4 II)
  • CorrelliCorrelli Posts: 135Member
    I print images once in a while, but I don't do it myself. I send the files to a service provider. They either do the correct printing adjustments or you can download color profiles for proofing and they will print them without further adjustments. Good service and quality.
  • You miss a lot when you don't print your photo's. My workflow for that, select the photo's I want to print. Print them via LR on my Epson PX700W (A4 printer), 2 on one A4 page. Then I select the photo's I really want to print. Size these to 30x20cm or 40x30cm (A4 or A3) and send them to my printshop. Then I put them in a passepartout that is 50x40cm (standard). Now I can decide which one I take to my photoclub to be commented (or slaughtered :) ), or arrange them due to my mood. you see so much more on the printed ones and the process is very relaxing too, o.k. I have time.

My EIZO screen is calibrated. Camera profile on Adobe RGB, PC software also set on Adobe RGB, for the printshop I export them to JPG in SRGB, highest resolution and I get the photo printed as I see it on my screen.

From time to time I make an album, very simple now and reasonable prices and quality.

Here is a peace of my wall.

Those who say it can't be done, should not interrupt those doing it!
  • ElvisheferElvishefer Posts: 329Member
    I've been doing printing for about 6 months now, through a local print shop.

I've been doing my own frames by hand, which is a process of evolution. I'm about to start my 'third generation' floating frames soon, and it's a lot of fun. I imagine I could learn a lot from Framer. ;)

Printing for 32x40 frames (limited by being able to find a local source for matte paper bigger than that).

I think the prints are done on Fuji Lustre paper, on a Lambda printer. (<- I know almost nothing about this, except that I like the results for both color and black and white. Sometimes the blacks aren't as black as I'd like them, but I haven't concluded whether this is me or them.)

The service is very straight forward. They don't touch the images at all. I submit the files and they print as-is. The benefit is I don't pay for their time and they print quickly (24h usually).

I've been going back through my images and selecting my favorites for the apartment and for gifts for family and friends. I'm finding it very rewarding to give something I've put so much effort into. The ironic downside is that woodworking and framing are eating into my photography time. Ooops.
    D700, 70-200mm f/2.8 VRII, 24-70mm f/2.8, 14-24mm f/2.8, 50mm f/1.4G, 200mm f/4 Micro, 105mm f/2.8 VRII Micro, 35mm f/1.8, 2xSB900, 1xSB910, R1C1, RRS Support...

... And no time to use them.
  • PB_PMPB_PM Posts: 4,494Member
    I print from time to time, never bigger than 8x12, for myself. I love the way images look printed, and try to at the very least make a calendar with my favorite images each year. I've yet to have a customer who wanted prints, most of them need images for websites.
    If I take a good photo it's not my camera's fault.
  • SymphoticSymphotic Posts: 711Member
    edited January 2013
    i print 13x19 of my best "hobby" pictures. Actually, the paper is 13 x 19, but usually I leave fat margins around the outsides. It takes a long time to craft a print...sometimes hours.

my work pictures go into pdfs.
    Post edited by Symphotic on
    Jack Roberts
    "Discovery consists in seeing what everyone else has seen and thinking what nobody else has thought"--Albert Szent-Gyorgy
  • MikeGunterMikeGunter Posts: 543Member
    I print images once in a while, but I don't do it myself. I send the files to a service provider. They either do the correct printing adjustments or you can download color profiles for proofing and they will print them without further adjustments. Good service and quality.
    +1

Hi all,

For the affordability and attractiveness, service bureaus and even inexpensive providers like Costco can produce great results with their printers with color profiles. Use them and recommend them.

Some of my prints are 20"x30" and look great.

Another reason to spend time with the modern darkroom, Photoshop.

My best,

Mike
  • donaldejosedonaldejose Posts: 3,673Member
    I am deep in the midst of an extensive project at this time: photographing a season of HS basketball for the players, their parents and the coach. There are 2 to 3 games each week and various tournaments. 100% of the good shots end up on DVDs distributed among the players, coaches and parents. About 8% of those are also printed as 8x10s from a home inkjet printer. About 10% of the good shots are used in photobooks printed by AdoramaPix. About 2% of the good shots are printed poster size (24inches by 36 inches) printed by a local photo printer. The DVD is for memories. The photo books and posters are give to the Seniors as a remembrance of their senior year.
  • birdmanbirdman Posts: 115Member
    I'm actually looking to get a high quality printer that can do 13 X 19". I see "prosumer" Canons and Epson ranging from $250-800. My only question is this: Why did I buy the medium format-like D800 if I don't print extra large images? Maybe I can print 13 X 19", then get mega large prints from professional companies (Adorama, Calumet, etc) if I'm satisfied with the output.

Can anyone suggest a particular model of printer that does excellent 13 X 19" ?? Thanks
  • GarethGareth Posts: 159Member
    I have an Epson 3880 which I love. But I have spent a lot on test papers, and calibration equipment in order to get a "correct" print. Not to mention viewing conditions etc. There is an art to it and the art is called research, time and money.
  • GarethGareth Posts: 159Member
    Woops, forgot to suggest getting one birdman. Doesn't have a roll feeder, but prints up to17'' wide, or cut A2 sheets.
  • Benji2505Benji2505 Posts: 522Member
    I tried some online printing services and I got stuck with MPix. my impression is that their color reproduction is very good.. Prices are very reasonable and you can have it the next day.