Pros and Cons of buying used

2»

Comments

• CharmdesignCharmdesign Posts: 66Member
    edited January 2014
    Reporting back, let's say I bought a d800 with a serial number after the offending ones. I found one from a reliable source that has 24 clicks. It is $2450. It would have only a 90 day warranty. I'm not keen on the idea of testing a bunch but at the same time I don't take I a purchase like this lightly and the OCD in me almost has to test. It just is such a pain to test. I've seen a video on YouTube of how to test and it looks easy enough I guess. Comparing shots focused in live view against single point, AF-s. Is testing necessary or smart considering no manufacturers warranty? B. must I fine tune the lens to my camera first? C. Why would live view focus differently? Doesn't it still use the auto focus? Maybe I don't understand live view. I have used it to manual focus my MF lenses. I would have a 30 day return so I guess there is little risk.

I don't own a FX lens yet so I guess I would need to order and fine tune that to the camera. I am. Sort of overwhelmed at the prospect of all this tuning and testing. When spend that much, you want it to be easy and work out of the box. What a turn off. Anyhow I am debating on getting this camera and a 50 1.8 OR just getting the 50 to use with my d7000. I wanted to spend around 2000, so I'm not too far off with the set I propose. I could wait until summer of fall as well and revist this. Is this deal rare to come by?
    Post edited by Charmdesign on
    Camera: Nikon D7000, Lenses: Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-105mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR, 35mm 1.8G DX, Ai'd MF: 50mm 1.4, 28mm 1.4, 24-70mm
  • AdeAde Posts: 1,071Member
    edited January 2014
    Doesn't seem like such a great deal.

You might as well buy grey market. New grey market D800s are going for around $2300 right now on eBay, with 1-year store warranty, 30-day return policy. There's a thread elsewhere on the pros & cons of grey market items.
    Post edited by Ade on
    Good thing I asked!
    Camera: Nikon D7000, Lenses: Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-105mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR, 35mm 1.8G DX, Ai'd MF: 50mm 1.4, 28mm 1.4, 24-70mm
  • SymphoticSymphotic Posts: 711Member
    edited January 2014
    Until I bought my first D800 I pretty much bought everything used. In fact, the reason I joined this forum was I was just beginning to buy new and I wanted more information on what was available. (I had planned to buy a new F4 for a contract, but ended up waiting and getting two D800s instead.)
    Before then I wasn't really making enough money to justify new. Once I started getting contracts that could pay for new, i started buying new, but I find no advantage to new other than the longer warranty available from Nikon USA.
    Would I go back to buying used? Yes, other than strobes. That being said, I've only bought used items on line a couple of times. I prefer to buy used gear in a brick and mortar shop.
    Post edited by Symphotic on
    Jack Roberts
    "Discovery consists in seeing what everyone else has seen and thinking what nobody else has thought"--Albert Szent-Gyorgy
    I did worry that Nikon wouldn't repair grey market. And I sort of feel funny about grey market. I like the cost savings used for sure but sometimes I do get paranoid about how something was treated!
  • Dredden85Dredden85 Posts: 365Member
    edited January 2014
    @Charmdesign - I noticed you mentioned that you were in a time crunch to get the D800. I'm sure if you can wait a little longer you will find one with the "better" serial number and number of clicks. Photobug put this in the best light that the used have only been used in very short time span. I received a used soft box as a gift and it turned out that it been returned from someone who changed their mind on the purchase (B&H). It was in "New" condition. Good luck on your purchase, I am confident that you will find the right one soon.
    Post edited by Dredden85 on
    D7000, 18-200VRII | 50 1.8G | SB-900
  • WesleyWesley Posts: 67Member
    It might be good to check if your current computer setup can handle D800 raw into the workflow.
    D700: 24-70 2.8, 85 1.8G
    D3100: 18-55
    A7II: 16-35 F4, 55 1.8, 70-200 F4
    I have a late 09 Mac Pro. From what research I have done, I should be fine but if want I can increase the ram. I hear the files are big. I do worry some about that from a ram standpoint. I got cold feet about buying used because there is some comfort in the warranty. Alas, I can't imagine a repair costing more than the saving I would get used!? Like the left focus issue for instance. As it stands right now I am going to hold off on this for up to another year:(. I haven't put in a year even yet on my DX. That will be June. I can't go skipping ahead all crazy like. Thanks for the feedback!
  • kanuckkanuck Posts: 1,300Member
    Just on a side note here, msmoto good idea to remind readers that an old link exists. This method is much better than closing the topic down even though it has been discussed before. Keep up the good work! :)
  • PB_PMPB_PM Posts: 4,494Member
    edited January 2014
    I have a late 09 Mac Pro. From what research I have done, I should be fine but if want I can increase the ram. I hear the files are big. I do worry some about that from a ram standpoint. I got cold feet about buying used because there is some comfort in the warranty. Alas, I can't imagine a repair costing more than the saving I would get used!? Like the left focus issue for instance. As it stands right now I am going to hold off on this for up to another year:(. I haven't put in a year even yet on my DX. That will be June. I can't go skipping ahead all crazy like. Thanks for the feedback!
    How much RAM do you have now? I would recommend having 12GB, but you can get by with 8GB, if you intend to get the D800 at some point.
    Post edited by PB_PM on
    If I take a good photo it's not my camera's fault.
  • HelenOsterHelenOster Posts: 2Member

Just wanted to drop by and say 'thanks for all the great recommendations for buying 'used' from Adorama. Also, to clarify the ratings are as follows: N, D, E+, E & E, which all come with a 6-month warranty (& include a 30-day returns period for exchange or refund); V, G & F, which come with a 90-day warranty, but again include a 30-day returns period).
    Nikon refurbs come with a 90-day return-to-Nikon warranty, plus that 30-day return-to-Adorama period for exchange or refund.

I hope this helps, and if you ever need advice or support with a future order from Adorama, please don't hesitate to email me directly email me: Helen@adorama.com

Helen Oster
    Adorama Camera Customer Service Ambassador
  • MsmotoMsmoto Posts: 5,398Moderator
    Thanks so much, Helen. We know that Adorama is one of the retailers where folks will always get the very best in customer service.
    Msmoto, mod
  • kanuckkanuck Posts: 1,300Member
    +1 I prefer Adorama to B&H who have lost so many of my orders over the years.