Has anyone bought anything from Panamoz?

ptrmckyptrmcky Posts: 44Member
edited January 2014 in Nikon DSLR cameras
Just saw an ad for Panamoz and their prices are suspiciously low. They have a D800 for £1400, which is £250 less than DigitalRev and £550 less than the lowest UK price.

Has anyone had any dealings with them? I've bought from Hong Kong before and had no issues. Is there any hidden taxes that I might be missing?

Comments

• spraynprayspraynpray Posts: 6,545Moderator
    edited January 2014
    If they were a UK based supplier, then you should not get any extra import duty charges, but as they are going to be grey imports at that price (AND from an overseas supplier), there will be import duties that will wipe out your saving plus no second year warranty (and even the first year could be a PITA).
    Post edited by spraynpray on
    Always learning.
  • MsmotoMsmoto Posts: 5,398Moderator
    In the USA one is sometimes subjected to strange import duties imposed by a 'broker' and these may add to the price somewhat. And with the occasional issues in many new products the close relationship with a reliable dealer, I.e., our sponsors on NRF, is essential to one's peace of mind.
    Msmoto, mod
  • AdeAde Posts: 1,071Member
    If they were a UK based supplier, then you should not get any extra import duty charges, but as they are going to be grey imports at that price (AND from an overseas supplier), there will be import duties that will wipe out your saving plus no second year warranty (and even the first year could be a PITA).
    Panamoz is a well regarded UK gray market importer, and their prices already include all import duties and taxes. They offer (their own) 2-year UK local warranty.

• ptrmckyptrmcky Posts: 44Member
    I've never had any issues with taxes when buying stuff from Onestop Digital and Digitalrev, but they are usually priced pretty close to each other. Panamoz was a good bit cheaper than them so I was curious if there was something a bit fishy.

Their 14-24mm for less than £1000 is fairly tempting.