Replacement Nikon 24-70mm model?

ralpheburnsralpheburns Posts: 4Member
edited January 2013 in Nikon Lenses
Hello,

I'm needing to replace a stolen 24-70mm lens... and hesitate and wonder if Nikon may have a fresh model of this lens in the not-so-distant future. Although it's been a fine workhorse, I was never overly impressed with the resolution and reflections from the current model. Not looking for VR, just a freshened up optic design and a better lens hood. Any rumors, new patents, etc.?

Comments

• SymphoticSymphotic Posts: 711Member
    edited January 2013
    I'd be surprised if a new 24-70 were waiting in the wings. May I recommend you try clicking on the "Buying Guide" at the top of the Nikon Rumor's home page? You'll get the latest up to dates on lens updates from our omniscient higher power.
    Post edited by Symphotic on
    Jack Roberts
    "Discovery consists in seeing what everyone else has seen and thinking what nobody else has thought"--Albert Szent-Gyorgy
  • sevencrossingsevencrossing Posts: 2,800Member
    I think Nikon are pushing the f4 Quartet of zooms
    and f 1.4 primes if you need a wide apature
  • ralpheburnsralpheburns Posts: 4Member
    edited January 2013
    OK, so the "buying guide" lists lenses released 2003 and newer as "buy", and one released 2002 as a "wait - update expected". The 24-70mm was released in 2007 so that guesstimates a new model around 2017 by comparison. In my mind I was comparing to the 70-200 which was replaced in 2009.... with the original came out in 2003.... six years later. Comparing the 24-70 that way we get 2007 + six years = this year! However there was lots more left wanting with the original 70-200 and the update helped push the optics and VR forward. Since there's no VR for the 24-70 and folks are relatively happy with the lens that I'll guess it won't follow the replacement schedule the same as 70-200. Still it's such a popular size lens that I'll bet beers that a new model will be out sooner than 2017... split the difference and bet 2015.

I'm using a D4, so should have ISO power in pocket (might get a D800/E someday as a backup). Because I'm unfamiliar with the 24-120 lens, I looked briefly at DxOMark to compare to the 24-70 and it looks like it isn't nearly as sharp.

I have a 24mm f/1.4 and 85mm f/1.4 now and figured wrong that I wouldn't miss the 24-70. If I had two bodies to use walkaround with one lens mounted to each, then the desire for the zoom might go away. I do like the reach of the 85mm. On the other hand if I quit the (super) day-job and became a photojournalist, I'd take two D4's and put 24-70 on one and 70-200 on the other? Except that I strive for those in-your-face photos that give the same energy as a person-person conversation = 24mm f/1.4.

Post edited by ralpheburns on
  • SymphoticSymphotic Posts: 711Member
    edited January 2013
    Your reasoning is good, but I wonder if Nikon would sell more lenses if they updated the 24-70. Maybe they will think they have to update to keep the product "fresher" than Canon's newer 24-70.

I don't use the 24-70 as much as I thought I would when I bought it, although it recently started using it for indoor use in small rooms and have found it the perfectly suited for that purpose, so I'll be using more often now.

A word on VR: with the 24 to 70 I am more keen to stop action than camera shake, (people moving around) so wider aperture is more valuable to me than VR.
    Post edited by Symphotic on
    Jack Roberts
    "Discovery consists in seeing what everyone else has seen and thinking what nobody else has thought"--Albert Szent-Gyorgy
  • TaoTeJaredTaoTeJared Posts: 1,306Member
    I seriously doubt it. There was almost 9 years between the 28-70 release and the 24-70 release. Nikon is a creature of habit, and they rarely break with their standard time frames without good reason.

Part of the 70-200 update was because of the new VR and Nano coating. The 24-70 already has the nano coatings and still is a great performer in comparison the Canon's. If Canon release a similar lens that somehow kicked it's butt, then you could see something but that hasn't happened.
    D800, D300, D50(ir converted), FujiX100, Canon G11, Olympus TG2. Nikon lenses - 24mm 2.8, 35mm 1.8, (5 in all)50mm, 60mm, 85mm 1.8, 105vr, 105 f2.5, 180mm 2.8, 70-200vr1, 24-120vr f4. Tokina 12-24mm, 16-28mm, 28-70mm (angenieux design), 300mm f2.8. Sigma 15mm fisheye. Voigtlander R2 (olive) & R2a, Voigt 35mm 2.5, Zeiss 50mm f/2, Leica 90mm f/4. I know I missed something...
  • SkintBritSkintBrit Posts: 79Member
    I seriously doubt it. There was almost 9 years between the 28-70 release and the 24-70 release. Nikon is a creature of habit, and they rarely break with their standard time frames without good reason.

Part of the 70-200 update was because of the new VR and Nano coating. The 24-70 already has the nano coatings and still is a great performer in comparison the Canon's. If Canon release a similar lens that somehow kicked it's butt, then you could see something but that hasn't happened.
    Plus 1.
    D3s's D700 F100 / Trinity 2.8 Zooms & 1.4 Primes / 105 micro. SB900s with Pocket Wizard Flex TT5 / Mini TT1s. Camranger remote control system.
  • spraynprayspraynpray Posts: 6,545Moderator
    The 24-70 already has the nano coatings and still is a great performer in comparison the Canon's. If Canon release a similar lens that somehow kicked it's butt, then you could see something but that hasn't happened.
    I read a test the other day - from one of the good guys - that rated the canon above the Nikon. DxOMark score the Canon higher don't they?
    Always learning.
  • PB_PMPB_PM Posts: 4,494Member
    Considering that the Canon costs twice as much, I'm more than willing to accept that the 24-70mm has slightly less performance.
    If I take a good photo it's not my camera's fault.
  • Golf007sdGolf007sd Posts: 2,840Moderator
    edited January 2013
    @ralpheburns Very sorry to hear about your lose. By all mean go out and get yourself a new or used 24-70 2.8. It goes with me where ever I go and is my favorite lens of all time. Currently, I've been having a lot of fun with the 24 1.4G but the 24-70 is still my goto lens.

As for Canon, I'm please to see them offer their customer base a new lens. Their new 24-70L look fantastic. I know for a Fact that my Nikon 24-70 2.8 is second to none. KR can ..Period!
    Post edited by Msmoto on
    D4 & D7000 | Nikon Holy Trinity Set + 105 2.8 Mico + 200 F2 VR II | 300 2.8G VR II, 10.5 Fish-eye, 24 & 50 1.4G, 35 & 85 1.8G, 18-200 3.5-5.6 VR I SB-400 & 700 | TC 1.4E III, 1.7 & 2.0E III, 1.7 | Sigma 35 & 50 1.4 DG HSM | RRS Ballhead & Tripods Gear | Gitzo Monopod | Lowepro Gear | HDR via Promote Control System |
  • ralpheburnsralpheburns Posts: 4Member
    Thanks folks, I just ordered a NIB one from the Fred Miranda forum. That way when I do upgrade to the future replacement model then I won't see quite as much resale depreciation.

I use to own the Canon 24-70, and thought it might have controlled flare and reflections better than the Nikon. When I shot Canon I use to buy four copies of every lens and could easily see differences between each one, so with work you could get a super copy. I don't see the same thing with the better Nikon lenses I usually buy.

Have fun out there! Ralph
  • NikonnutNikonnut Posts: 2Member
    Canon has updated their 24-70 and it has the highest MTF figures of all 24-70s. Seeing that Nikons 24-70 2.8 is the oldest of all its pro zooms and that nikons FX camera resolutions has increased quite a bit wouldnt you think they"ll release a replacement soon? if it has VR that would be a bonus.