Wedding Books

tcole1983tcole1983 Posts: 981Member
edited February 2014 in Fun & Weird
What do you do for wedding books? Do you give the couple options of types or do you just have a single book that you make for everyone? I am just wondering if the bride will want to even worry about it or just want to have a book in hand eventually.
D5200, D5000, S31, 18-55 VR, 17-55 F2.8, 35 F1.8G, 105 F2.8 VR, 300 F4 AF-S (Previously owned 18-200 VRI, Tokina 12-24 F4 II)

Comments

• PB_PMPB_PM Posts: 4,494Member
    There are many factors, such as do you print your own books or out source them?

Most brides will likely want to have some input on the design and style of the book and layout.
    If I take a good photo it's not my camera's fault.
  • spraynprayspraynpray Posts: 6,545Moderator
    I show a sample I have already made and they choose whether to go for it or not. Strong requirements to change my typical layout are listened to but are rare, it is usual that they just like it and want it period IME.
    Always learning.
  • tcole1983tcole1983 Posts: 981Member
    The only reason we are doing it is because she specifically asked for one. We aren't trying to make money off of it, but obviously want to make something she would like. We thought it might get too complicated trying to price out and come up with all the different sizes and styles. We are ordering it online...so I guess source it out?

Our thought is to put some small jps up and have her pick ones she wants. Then make the book from that. Maybe we will just ask about what book type she wants, hard cover, leather and maybe a couple other things.
    D5200, D5000, S31, 18-55 VR, 17-55 F2.8, 35 F1.8G, 105 F2.8 VR, 300 F4 AF-S (Previously owned 18-200 VRI, Tokina 12-24 F4 II)
  • PB_PMPB_PM Posts: 4,494Member
    Sounds like a good way of doing it.
    If I take a good photo it's not my camera's fault.
  • PistnbrokePistnbroke Posts: 2,444Member
    Wedding books or albums are dead ..forget it ..move on ..all they want is a memory stick for the ipad etc
    In the last 100 weddings thats two years only one album . Greeks and travelers different story.
  • spraynprayspraynpray Posts: 6,545Moderator
    That's not my experience. It isn't either/or an album or a stick, it is AND. @tcole: If you're going to offer an album, don't underestimate the time it takes to lay one out nicely. It's like editing - it takes time.
    Always learning.
  • sevencrossingsevencrossing Posts: 2,800Member
    edited February 2014
    We all work and make our money in different ways

My approach is to change ( quite a lot ) for taking the photographs then, let the client do what ever they like, with the Jpegs. I retain the copy right and photographs can only be used for the purpose for which they were commissionedd

But I am somewhat retired, don't need to make a big profit, or want to get involved in printing, framing or album making

I have seen some very nice albums made from my photographs using blurb

http://www.blurb.com

Post edited by sevencrossing on
  • tcole1983tcole1983 Posts: 981Member
    edited February 2014
    Thanks for the input. I will check it out seven.

We were kind of thrown into it. The place they are getting married isn't very big so there aren't lots of options for photographers unless they are coming from out of town. It is a person I know daughter's wedding. He knew I did photography so he asked me. I told him I wouldn't do it myself, but I would with a friend of mine that has more experience. Later the bride wrote saying what she wanted. The book isn't an option...it was something she specifically asked for...we will probably charge a bit more for the book because we know it will take some time to set it up. However we aren't expecting to make tons of money off of it. I would prefer to give them the pictures and they do what they want. We are still working out the kinks because it isn't something we do all the time and by no means do I plan to do it all the time. It already stresses me out and it is 7 months away.
    Post edited by tcole1983 on
  • sevencrossingsevencrossing Posts: 2,800Member
    I have sent you a PM