Is DX superior to FX?

18910111214»

Comments

• brownie314brownie314 Posts: 72Member
    I also second @Bokeh_Hunter's recommendation to close this one and reopen on that says why I like my DX and why I like my FX. For someone that is sitting on the fence, it would be great reading. It could even be two threads, one for DX and one for FX to make it easier reading or just do it in one. Nice idea MsMoto.
    Probably a good idea. But one little point left for me anyway. When I think about photography, I think about the final result - the image. And where it is destined for and how it will be viewed. Most of us are not photographing with the idea that we will be putting gallery sized prints in museums with these images. I guess some are - but most, I would say no. Lets face it most people images get most of their exposure on the web. Or if you are a wedding photographer, you may print occasionally something larger than 11X17 - but probably not often. So, if in the end a photographs main exposure is the web - then why all this fuss about FF? The D7100 is clearly good enough for all web images - and most prints up to 11X17. In fact, when viewed on a monitor (and especially on FB) - there probably isn't a person alive that can tell the difference between the D7100 and the D750 - if both images are processed well. So, that being the case - why fuss over how much better FF is? Your non-photographer friends (which is probably almost everyone you know) do not know the difference - and likely can't see the difference in any image you have taken. So if you are a hobbyist - and your audience is likely your family and friends - FF is definitely overkill for what you are doing. On the other hand - if you have cash and just like the feeling of having "the biggest and badest" - then FF is definitely for you (and I must admit I am not immune to a case of gear envy when I see some new top end FF body).

All that being said - I know there are DOF differences - so if you regularly use DOF as a creative tool (meaning shallow DOF) - and you must have razor thin DOF at a certain focal length - then you must have FF. But don't forget - many macro photographers are looking to increase DOF - so it isn't always one way.
  • haroldpharoldp Posts: 984Member
    'Better' is not a useful term in this context. 'Better' for what ?.
    Is a Ferrari 'Better' than a Tractor Trailer ? , it depends where you are going and what you are bringing with you.

Does 'more cost effective' mean 'better' ? not to me, but perhaps to some.

I heartily endorse msmoto's suggestion. A more useful discussion is the relative properties of each, so a member can determine what matters to them.

... H
    D810, D3x, 14-24/2.8, 50/1.4D, 24-70/2.8, 24-120/4 VR, 70-200/2.8 VR1, 80-400 G, 200-400/4 VR1, 400/2.8 ED VR G, 105/2 DC, 17-55/2.8.
    Nikon N90s, F100, F, lots of Leica M digital and film stuff.

• WestEndBoyWestEndBoy Posts: 1,456Member
    I also second @Bokeh_Hunter's recommendation to close this one and reopen on that says why I like my DX and why I like my FX. For someone that is sitting on the fence, it would be great reading. It could even be two threads, one for DX and one for FX to make it easier reading or just do it in one. Nice idea MsMoto.
    Probably a good idea. But one little point left for me anyway. When I think about photography, I think about the final result - the image. And where it is destined for and how it will be viewed. Most of us are not photographing with the idea that we will be putting gallery sized prints in museums with these images. I guess some are - but most, I would say no. Lets face it most people images get most of their exposure on the web. Or if you are a wedding photographer, you may print occasionally something larger than 11X17 - but probably not often. So, if in the end a photographs main exposure is the web - then why all this fuss about FF? The D7100 is clearly good enough for all web images - and most prints up to 11X17. In fact, when viewed on a monitor (and especially on FB) - there probably isn't a person alive that can tell the difference between the D7100 and the D750 - if both images are processed well. So, that being the case - why fuss over how much better FF is? Your non-photographer friends (which is probably almost everyone you know) do not know the difference - and likely can't see the difference in any image you have taken. So if you are a hobbyist - and your audience is likely your family and friends - FF is definitely overkill for what you are doing. On the other hand - if you have cash and just like the feeling of having "the biggest and badest" - then FF is definitely for you (and I must admit I am not immune to a case of gear envy when I see some new top end FF body).

All that being said - I know there are DOF differences - so if you regularly use DOF as a creative tool (meaning shallow DOF) - and you must have razor thin DOF at a certain focal length - then you must have FF. But don't forget - many macro photographers are looking to increase DOF - so it isn't always one way.
    This is all fine if shooting under good circumstances. But when you are pushing the envelope, you want as much flexibility as possible......and your friends will certainly be able to tell the difference between an FX shot that pushed the envelope and a DX shot that could not get very close, even on Flickr.
  • PhotobugPhotobug Posts: 5,751Member
    @brownie314 - I hear you. Your right about most people not printing above 4x6 and web images and wedding photographers not printing much larger than 11x17.

Hoping that a couple of the moderators drop in and consider the request to close this one and open up the ones on what we like about DX and FX DSLR's.
    D750 & D7100 | 24-70 F2.8 G AF-S ED, 70-200 F2.8 AF VR, TC-14E III, TC-1.7EII, 35 F2 AF D, 50mm F1.8G, 105mm G AF-S VR | Backup & Wife's Gear: D5500 & Sony HX50V | 18-140 AF-S ED VR DX, 55-300 AF-S G VR DX |
    |SB-800, Amaran Halo LED Ring light | MB-D16 grip| Gitzo GT3541 + RRS BH-55LR, Gitzo GM2942 + Sirui L-10 | RRS gear | Lowepro, ThinkTank, & Hoodman gear | BosStrap | Vello Freewave Plus wireless Remote, Leica Lens Cleaning Cloth |
  • WestEndBoyWestEndBoy Posts: 1,456Member
    They moderators don't need to open anything for us. Any one of us can. So I did.

As to closing this one, that requires a moderator.
  • moreorlessmoreorless Posts: 120Member
    Going way back to the opening post the Sigma 18-35mm F/1.8 lens does seem to highlight the advantages of FX, When your dealing with a DX lens that seeks to give similar total light gathering it seems like the optical design becomes more complex, hence having a 27-52mm design that weights the same as a 24-70mm Tamron than also fits in stabilisation.

To me that if your aiming for certain kinds of performance FF is actually potentially cheaper and even smaller than APSC or m43.
  • Bokeh_HunterBokeh_Hunter Posts: 234Member
    Everyone chant with me!!!!

Close the thread

Close the thread

Close the thread

Close the thread

Close the thread

Close the thread
    •Formerly TTJ•
  • snakebunksnakebunk Posts: 993Member
    Just leave the thread alone if you don't like it :-)

• Golf007sdGolf007sd Posts: 2,840Moderator
    Closed.
    D4 & D7000 | Nikon Holy Trinity Set + 105 2.8 Mico + 200 F2 VR II | 300 2.8G VR II, 10.5 Fish-eye, 24 & 50 1.4G, 35 & 85 1.8G, 18-200 3.5-5.6 VR I SB-400 & 700 | TC 1.4E III, 1.7 & 2.0E III, 1.7 | Sigma 35 & 50 1.4 DG HSM | RRS Ballhead & Tripods Gear | Gitzo Monopod | Lowepro Gear | HDR via Promote Control System |
This discussion has been closed.