Thom Hogan is Giving Me a Nervous Breakdown

2»

Comments

• proudgeekproudgeek Posts: 1,422Member
    Look at it another way: If Thom (or Ken Rockwell or any other reviewer) just said good things about the equipment they were reviewing and sought to steer clear of all controversy, who would read the articles? I try to read all of that stuff with that in mind.
  • donaldejosedonaldejose Posts: 3,692Member
    I like reading both the good stuff and the bad stuff about Nikon because I want to know which sensor/body/lens is best and I want to know the weaknesses of each piece of equipment. This type of knowledge is a strong factor in my purchasing decisions.
  • PB_PMPB_PM Posts: 4,494Member
    Also, Thom just focuses on Nikon. He could have many complaints about any of the companies which make DSLRs. In fact, all others, except Canon, surely would be subject to more criticism. If Thom focused on Canon I am sure he would have a long list of items in which they are deficient. Item number one: their sensors are a generation behind Nikon sensors; just look at the DxOMark scores.
    If you look deeper, into Thom's other sites, he has a lot to say about other brands as well. Most of his non-Nikon comments are related to mirrorless cameras though.
    If I take a good photo it's not my camera's fault.
  • NSXTypeRNSXTypeR Posts: 2,287Member
    Just as an aside, and not a dig at Pentax- I think they are to be commended because they stayed with their mount since the very beginning, just like Nikon.

But right now they're having problems with the K3. That being said, I haven't researched and looked into what Pentax has responded with.

Every camera company could have problems...
    Nikon D7000/ Nikon D40/ Nikon FM2/ 18-135 AF-S/ 35mm 1.8 AF-S/ 105mm Macro AF-S/ 50mm 1.2 AI-S
  • PistnbrokePistnbroke Posts: 2,444Member
    Well you want to try writing to him in response to one of his survey questions...all you get back is pure acid.." dont ask a question if you dont want to hear the answer Thom" I told him never again goodbye.
    As to the Nikon senarios ...never forget DX is quiet and I agree FX lenses dont work well on DX and those horrible memories on the D800 spoils the camera. son in law bought a Nikon1 ..every time he turns it on he has to go into the menu to get the mode he wants ...for me thats Nikon Junk.
  • NSXTypeRNSXTypeR Posts: 2,287Member
    Look at it another way: If Thom (or Ken Rockwell or any other reviewer) just said good things about the equipment they were reviewing and sought to steer clear of all controversy, who would read the articles? I try to read all of that stuff with that in mind.
    Well... let's put it this way- Thom Hogan has some real experience in the photography field.

While Ken Rockwell likes to review audio equipment every so often. :D

(This post was just for fun and in no means to start a flame war.)
    Nikon D7000/ Nikon D40/ Nikon FM2/ 18-135 AF-S/ 35mm 1.8 AF-S/ 105mm Macro AF-S/ 50mm 1.2 AI-S
  • LareLare Posts: 46Member
    I read both Thom's and Ken's sites. They both make good points (often). But, to tell the truth, when I click on Thom's bookmark, I'm usually thinking "Let's see what Mr. Grumpy has to say today." Not that he' s necessarily wrong. He makes a lot of good points. Most of which I read, nod my head, and then pick up my gear, marvel how well it works for me, and go shooting.

YMMV, of course.

• NukeNuke Posts: 64Member
    Thom is critical of Nikon but also remember, he is a Nikon user. If Nikon was as bad as some of his criticisms suggest, I doubt he would stay a user. He does at times point out their good points but his remarks are very lopsided towards the bad. His books are more positive then his blog.
  • spraynprayspraynpray Posts: 6,545Moderator
    Someone else's opinion upsets us if we have questions inside of us already. I could shoot Canon or another brand and produce the same results. Look at some of the work on NRF from other manufacturers. Unless one checks the Exif file there is no way to see a difference and identify the brand.

In 90% of photos the equipment makes little difference. It is the skill and experience of the person behind the camera which determines the final image.

Nikon is on the top shelf of photographic equipment manufacturers. They certainly make mistakes, but so do all the others.
    Yes.

Currently, Canon are getting their customers backs up by charging them for putting known issues with their cameras right. Some are talking about jumping ship because they are fed up with this treatment. Whether it is a culturally inspired blindness to doing right or just a sign of the hard times, for sure Msmoto is right, they all make mistakes.
    Always learning.
  • Ronin_1Ronin_1 Posts: 9Member
    Thom focuses on Nikon, but is not unaware of Canon's missteps. Every once in a while he will discuss what Canon and Nikon are failing to do which is causing the market to shrink even more than it might if they were doing a good job.

Nikon has stayed with the F mount. That offers some few advantages, but limits the system in other ways. Nikon could have changed to a larger mount years ago as Canon did, but chose not to do so. Nikon has been behind Canon in adopting a number of new technologies. Canon's customer service has problems, but so does Nikon's.

I see Canon making gains with younger professionals for a number of reasons, one of which is, I think, better support.

If you look at the body of Thom's comments reflect poorly upon Nikon's management. Thom's comments are, perhaps, too kind to Nikon's management. It is rudderless. Some would say clueless.

With the introduction of the D3 Nikon was given a reprieve, but have let the momentum slip away. It's just discouraging to not have a better idea of what is going on at Nikon.
    Better support? Are you serious? @-) That's the opposite of what I have heard/read/experienced over the last few years.
    Always learning.
  • manhattanboymanhattanboy Posts: 1,003Member
    Thom focuses on Nikon, but is not unaware of Canon's missteps. Every once in a while he will discuss what Canon and Nikon are failing to do which is causing the market to shrink even more than it might if they were doing a good job.

Nikon has stayed with the F mount. That offers some few advantages, but limits the system in other ways. Nikon could have changed to a larger mount years ago as Canon did, but chose not to do so. Nikon has been behind Canon in adopting a number of new technologies. Canon's customer service has problems, but so does Nikon's.

I see Canon making gains with younger professionals for a number of reasons, one of which is, I think, better support.

If you look at the body of Thom's comments reflect poorly upon Nikon's management. Thom's comments are, perhaps, too kind to Nikon's management. It is rudderless. Some would say clueless.

With the introduction of the D3 Nikon was given a reprieve, but have let the momentum slip away. It's just discouraging to not have a better idea of what is going on at Nikon.
    +1, as I agree fully.
    Better support? Are you serious? @-) That's the opposite of what I have heard/read/experienced over the last few years.
    For one thing, it is easier to "make it" to more advanced support levels in Canon versus Nikon. Canon has some intermediate levels that provide decent perks like free instrument and lens cleanings, etc. Not everyone who would like to be treated with respect by Nikon shoots with 2 D4S's ;)
  • PB_PMPB_PM Posts: 4,494Member
    Does Nikon give better support to users with higher end gear? Sometimes. Better service to NPS members? Yup. As it should be, users who have more invested should get better support. Does that mean that people with lower end stuff get the shaft all the time? No. In my experience the best way to get good service is not be a jerk to the customer support staff.
    If I take a good photo it's not my camera's fault.
    Thom is on our side, he is trying to get Nikon to make their stuff better.
  • manhattanboymanhattanboy Posts: 1,003Member
    edited April 2014
    Does Nikon give better support to users with higher end gear? Sometimes. Better service to NPS members? Yup. As it should be, users who have more invested should get better support. Does that mean that people with lower end stuff get the shaft all the time? No. In my experience the best way to get good service is not be a jerk to the customer support staff.
    Not being a jerk is generally a great idea in all things.
    Perks for intermediate levels would be nice, but I can dream.
    Post edited by manhattanboy on
    edited April 2014

+1, as I agree fully.
    For one thing, it is easier to "make it" to more advanced support levels in Canon versus Nikon. Canon has some intermediate levels that provide decent perks like free instrument and lens cleanings, etc. Not everyone who would like to be treated with respect by Nikon shoots with 2 D4S's ;)
    I 'only' have a D7000 and D7100 but I have no complaints about the several instances of service I have had from Nikon, whereas the one Canon experience I had was enough to make me vow to never buy another Canon.
    Post edited by spraynpray on
    Always learning.
  • cowleystjamescowleystjames Posts: 74Member
    On the two occasions that I've needed NPS support, Nikon UK have been fantastic. On one occasion my 200-400 developed an intermittent focusing issue where it would hunt without locking focus, whereas my colleagues would bang straight in. They had it collected, repaired, and back to me in three days!
    Second occasion, my D4 would keep coming up with 'card' , once again they collected, repaired and back to me in four days.
    Can't ask fairer than that.
  • ThomasHortonThomasHorton Posts: 323Member
    If you are happy with your Nikon, why worry what someone else thinks about Nikon?
    I like reading his reviews too, but I don't let him, or any reviewer, dictate how I feel about photography.
    Gear: Camera obscura with an optical device which transmits and refracts light.