Induro GHB2 Gimbal Head

2»

Comments

• NukeNuke Posts: 64Member
    I used the new one this evening to shoot the Moon…. PAD. Worked as I wanted getting the camera overhead so I could use live view focus with minimal effort. I have the Induro GHB2 Gimbal Head on the top of the CT414 with the short post. If you look at the image I shot… 800mm at f/6.3, 1/250 sec, yet the image appears fairly good…due in part to the stiffness of the tripod/gimbal.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/fantinesfotos/14141764566/sizes/o/
    Very nice. I like that lens also.

Question. Since you seem to be a stickler for getting things nailed down. When you do this sort of thing, do you hang weight from the bottom of the center column?

• MsmotoMsmoto Posts: 5,398Moderator
    edited May 2014
    @Nuke

For the Moon shot I did not use any center column weight. There was zero wind and so I did not feel it necessary. In fact this image was taken when it was still quite light outside, the sky was a medium blue, but in post i liked it better darkened so as to pop the detail on the Moon surface.

During the shoot, focusing was manual and tricky as the live view was at full magnification. When this technique is used the image in the rear LCD shakes with any slight movement of the camera, so I was curious about how well the tripod/gimbal would damp these. VR was "on" in "tripod" mode. One critical factor IMO is to allow the camera and mirror to settle when shooting, so a 3 second shutter delay was used.

As my goal was to run a quick test of the tripod when legs are nearly fully extend, I considered the end result to be quite successful.

Please understand I do not have to please any clients, only find out what I want to know. So, I will do shoots fairly quick and dirty and if the end is a failure, well no big deal. I may try this same shot again, weight from the bottom of the tripod and weight from the actual gimbal as well. I do all this for fun…. and I like to push the envelope often.
    Post edited by Msmoto on
    Msmoto, mod
    @Msmoto

I was just looking for your experience in this sort of thing. Many people are critical of the center column in tripods. I understand there will probably be some movement there. I also understand that weight hung from center column is most helpful when there is wind. What I was wondering, if there was no wind, does that same weight prove to be helpful in reducing movement in the center column? In other words, does the weight have a secondary value?
  • MsmotoMsmoto Posts: 5,398Moderator
    IMO the issue of a center column is a figment of one's imagination. When the locking ring is properly tightened, It baffles me how anything can move. The flexibility of the gimbal head itself would seem to be IMO more an issue for movement. I would love to see a study looking at the issue, but who has fifty tripods with a center column and another fifty with no center column? LOL

Weight which increases the mass of whatever it may be hung from will always be an advantage as it simply damps any vibrations.

One of the interesting observations I have made is how there are so many opinions about this and that, yet absolutely no scientific studies to support the opinions. In using any equipment, my experience suggests very careful and deliberate technique are going to affect the final result as much or more than the equipment. Many folks report anecdotal results, but what works for one may not be true for someone else.

I did use the short center column for my gimbal head, mainly so i can drop it to the ground easier for very low perspective long shots.

Oh, of course, if one has the column extended fully, this obviously would allow more flexibility in the tripod simply due to the fact one has the weight "out on a stick" so to speak.
    Msmoto, mod
    Many thanks for the reply. Honestly, I don't know what to think? I too would like to see some real testing on this. Of course, there are no real standards for support systems to start with or even reference methods to do your own testing. Trying to compare a column tripod vs a non-column tripod seems beyond reach.

Heck, there is not even a standard for the max weight rating on tripods and so we are at the grace of the mfgs to provide numbers.
  • lasherlasher Posts: 14Member
    i am looking very hard at the ghb2 head as well, looks well built, i like the simplicity of the features. i also like the assortment of plates they offer. i just bought the AT413 legs, i know it's heavier and not space age, but it will do the job i want to do, plus it's way marked down and i had a $75 coupon
    Well you can't go by looks. I'm pretty sure I've looked at just about every gimbal head out there and they all look nice (mostly all). I didn't like the one(?) with one lock on the horizontal and the other on the vertical. I think it would be confusing trying to find the locks with your eye to the viewfinder. I'm sure some of them are even better then the Wimberly. Either lighter or using ball bearings vs sleeves.Maybe both?

I only had the option to test the Wimberly and Induro at my nearest camera store. I took my D800 + 200-400 and I tried both heads. I pushed, pulled on every joint and felt for smoothness of movement. In all honesty, I couldn't feel any real difference between the two. I've seen some complaints about the Induro having rough spots but I didn't feel that in the Induro, I bought.

I would never make the claim that the Induro is the best gimbal head. I think if you get a good one, it's a good bang for you buck. I'd also guess that the Wimberly is a more sure thing, if you can't test the head before hand.
    not everyone has the luxury of well stocked camera shops, or camera shops period, closer than several hundred miles. i have to go by looks, research, and first hand accounts from folks who have actually used the items. if i don't like it, priority mail return is my option.
    for it's simplicity i decided on a LensMaster RH-2, additionally, at my age i don't need lifetime warranties, as my warranty could expire at any day now :D