Multi Day backcountry backpacking lens.

2»

Comments

• IronheartIronheart Posts: 3,017Moderator
    +1 Donald. When I backpack the only thing I do before the sun is up is boil water to make coffee. Since the OP already had the D800, I didn't suggest the D3x00 with kit lens, and the 35mm DX as a low-light option which would be my personal choice.
  • sevencrossingsevencrossing Posts: 2,800Member
    edited April 2014
    I have to confess Bears are not a problem in my part of the world nor in NZ
    Re kodachrome; I have some early shots when it was only 12 ASA just wish I had the dynamic range of my D800 in those days
    Re making tea/ coffee : There is no reason why you cannot take photographs while the pot boils ( although you have be quick with a Zip jetboil :)
    Post edited by sevencrossing on
  • DeanMoriartyDeanMoriarty Posts: 15Member
    All very good points! As far as 4/3rd go ill have my iPhone5s with me for fun shots here and there. As far as my needs for my photos some will be published, some will be very large enlargements. One of the reasons I decided to pick up the D800 was it's close relations to a medium format in MP size. Not to mention it's just and awesome camera. I do have a JOBY gorilla focus tripod which I use when backpacking (minus the ball head) and a cheap vello remote for long exposures. I know my decisions isn't that difficult because as a photographer of any level first principles you learn is that it is never the camera that makes the photos but the person behind them. No one talks about Ansel Adams camera just his excellent composer and technique which is truly inspiring (IMHO). But it is always nice to have a little help with dynamic ranges and IQ of high Level cameras. Sometimes with film I found my self more worried about capturing the moment (checking light meter, Manuel focus, shutter speed, aperture) rather then enjoying as well. But as for my need I'm pretty set on using the D800 for now. Current lens I use is constantly changing depending on the work that is commissioned but as far as free time work. I find my self more toward 24-70/70-200mm
    D800, D700, D300s, Nikkormat FTn, Hasselblad 500c, Holy Trinity, 50mm1.4D, 10.5mm 2.8g, f-stop gear.
  • donaldejosedonaldejose Posts: 3,692Member
    Here is an example sevencrossing would like. Many years ago I was backpacking in the southern Appalachian Mountains and and pitched my tent in an opening on the top of the mountain overlooking many valleys. The next morning I kept watching the weather conditions looking out the tent door. Just before sunrise there was enough light see the blue mountains below me with fog in the valleys. I got up and took some photos before the sun came over the horizon. So I have done this type of thing; just when it was easy to do because of where my tent was pitched. The creatures to be wary of in that forest were black bears, wild pigs, and poisonous snakes. I too which I would have had a D800 in those days. Even a D3300 with a kit lens would have been great because of the high ISO.
  • donaldejosedonaldejose Posts: 3,692Member
    Ok, D800 it is for large prints. Fortunately, you can take off the battery grip and save some weight that way. Next way to save weight is with the lens. While your lenses are great lenses they also are heavy. Consider not using a f2.8 lens to reduce weight. Shoot at f5.6 or f8 and compensate by allowing your ISO to float up to 800 or 1,600 ISO. Now to find a lightweight wide to medium telephoto lens which is sharp enough for your needs. Some possibilities if you are willing to shoot at f5.6 and f8.

http://kenrockwell.com/nikon/24-85mm-vr.htm

http://www.kenrockwell.com/nikon/28-80mm-g.htm

http://www.kenrockwell.com/nikon/2885af.htm

(one thing Ken's website is good for is quickly finding a review of old lenses just so what you are talking about is identified clearly)

I have all three and would judge them to be more than adequate if you keep them in the f5.6 to f8 range. But you would have to test them out before you go.

for interest I posted some images from the 28-80 and the 28-85 on a D600 here. http://nikonrumors.com/forum/topic.php?id=9682
  • BowsiderBowsider Posts: 10Member
    Hi Dean,
    What a fantastic trip you have lined up! We're all very jealous I'm sure. Having read through the inspired replies in this thread I felt compelled to comment for the first time on any forum because no one mentioned the utterly fantastic, light(ish), 77mm threaded, filter compatible, versatile 16-35mm f4. I own one. It focusses very close, it's ultra sharp and the focal range is a nice compromise between your 14-24 & 24-70 heavy options. As a bonus over these tanks you also get VR which might come in handy at dusk. You have a tripod so the extra sluggish stop won't matter to you so much either. Maybe longer focal lengths aren't so important anyway because you're hiking right? Just walk towards your subject. Finally, at 16mm you have just over 30 seconds before star trails start forming; 30sec, f4, ISO 6400 on the D800 will have the Milky Way lighting your tent. Have a great time for all of us who are stuck in an office and please do reply all if you have a link to a public gallery from the trip.
    Best wishes, whichever lens you go with,
    Bow
    D810, 16-35mm f4, 70-200mm f2.8; (24, 35, 85) f1.4G; 105mm f2.8 macro. 135mm f2 DC, 28-300mm. SB700x2 and SB400. All Nikon. Sigma 50mm ART. Also have a Fuji X-T1 with 23mm f1.4 & 56mm f1.2.
  • NikonMickNikonMick Posts: 41Member
    Hey Dean,

Are you related to Jack Kerouac or Neil Cassidy? Coz I reckon they'd both go for something lighter and simpler, to make sure the pleasures of being "on the road" aren't diminished by worrying about the gear and its weight.

These hipsters' dream-team, IMHO, would be a D3100 and a 35/1.8 lens for landscapes (L), close-ups (C) and semi-macro shots (M).

L: https://www.flickr.com/photos/68039985@N08/9621548298/in/photostream

C: https://www.flickr.com/photos/68039985@N08/8401738053/in/photostream

M: https://www.flickr.com/photos/68039985@N08/8289145548/in/photostream

;-)

Mick
    edited April 2014
    Current lens I use is constantly changing depending on the work that is commissioned but as far as free time work. I find my self more toward 24-70/70-200mm
    I would simply take the 24 -70
    advantages of 24 -70
    You all ready have it
    you are familiar with any of its limitations
    It is universally accepted as one of Nikons best mid range zooms

If need to cut down on weight then get the Nikon AF-S 24-85mm f/3.5-4.5G ED VR it will save you 16 ozs
    If you need something longer than 70/85mm get the 24 -120 f4 vr which is a bit lighter than your 24 -70

Post edited by sevencrossing on
  • kenadamskenadams Posts: 222Member
    On such a trip I'd take something that can go wider than a 50. If the only option is a zoom, so be it. I love the 50 mm focal length, and you can usually get closer to stuff (unless it's wildlife) so no zoom needed, but more often than not you cannot go wider.

I took a 18-135 on an 8 day hike over the Alps. A 50 wouldn't have cut it in this case.
  • BenHBenH Posts: 9Member
    24-120 unless you're going do astrophotography. For astrophotography, f/2.8 is the smallest you'll want. 24-120 because it's got vr for lower light. I did the Swiss Alps last summer and brought too many lenses and it sucked hauling them around but the pictures were worth it. I would have suffered more if I knew I missed the shots I wanted. Yosemite rocks. I'm jealous.
  • DeanMoriartyDeanMoriarty Posts: 15Member
    I figured some one would eventually figure out the name. great book!. D800 is the body I am most certainly taking. As far as lenses go, I will take at the 16-35 f.4 Bowsider considered. (thank you Bow honored to have your input and welcome to Nikon Rumors) secondly 24-120 f.4 that was also recommended by more then one person which may also be a contender. I will be doing product shots for two different mountaineering companies as of now. I FINALLY just got the list of items they would like covered. some are small in detail and others simply need a larger aperture.

side note THANK YOU to all who have posted. the feed back is amazing and much appreciated. any one can do research and find specifications that look good on paper. ( but as everyone knows especially camera buffs, its all about the feel, performance and hands on experience.)

Some items are.
    Sleeping bag.
    Technical T-shirt.
    Down jacket.
    Head wear. (hat, beanie, bandanna/buff)

The highly detailed item will be a watch and compass that the other company makes.
    but as for free time personal shooting defiantly landscape and friends/peers.

Wish I could take you all as well! Yosemite if you have been there before or not, is amazing every time.
    D800, D700, D300s, Nikkormat FTn, Hasselblad 500c, Holy Trinity, 50mm1.4D, 10.5mm 2.8g, f-stop gear.
  • BowsiderBowsider Posts: 10Member
    Have a wonderful time and don't forget to send us all a link to your imagery if at all possible. I hope you're happy with the versatility of that fabulous 16-35mm. Best wishes, Bow.
    D810, 16-35mm f4, 70-200mm f2.8; (24, 35, 85) f1.4G; 105mm f2.8 macro. 135mm f2 DC, 28-300mm. SB700x2 and SB400. All Nikon. Sigma 50mm ART. Also have a Fuji X-T1 with 23mm f1.4 & 56mm f1.2.
    needles to say; check the 16 -35, several people have reported batch variations