Cheap Camera stabilizer

martindowersmartindowers Posts: 2Member
edited April 2014 in Nikon DSLR cameras
Hi everyone,
I need stabilizer advice. First of all, I am new here, just found while looking for stabilizer advice, and i really enjoying here.
I am looking for a solution that following stabilizers are easy to balance or not..
Flycam Flyboy-II http://www.proaimshop.com/pas/FLYCAM-Flyboy-II-Mini-Steadycam-FLCM-FB2-B.html
Flycam Flyboy-III http://www.proaimshop.com/pas/FLYCAM-Flyboy-III-DSLR-Stabilizer-FLCM-FB3-B.html

Any suggestion?
Good or money waste?
Thanks in advance

Comments

• PistnbrokePistnbroke Posts: 2,444Member
    $47 is not a lot and if its no good sell it on e bay for $39
  • MsmotoMsmoto Posts: 5,398Moderator
    This looks good and suggests if one simply attaches a bar about 18" long hanging from the tripod socket, this will also stabilize a body for video. About one pound at the end of the bar will produce amazing results as a result of basic physics.
    Msmoto, mod
  • PistnbrokePistnbroke Posts: 2,444Member
    and msmoto ..the gimble would be where ?? hence the curved bar.
  • MsmotoMsmoto Posts: 5,398Moderator
    If one is holding the camera with two hands, this creates the "gimbal" by a simple pendulum. This is the absolute "cheap" fix…. And, a monopod attached will do the same thing in some respects.

The more weight, up to a point, the higher the inertial resistance to movement… or so I think…LOL
    Msmoto, mod
  • spraynprayspraynpray Posts: 6,545Moderator
    To an extent, yes, but the ability to be able balance the assembly to stop/start/change directions quickly (if that is your style) isn't there with a simple pendulum.
    Always learning.
  • pe1125pe1125 Posts: 5Member
    OK, maybe I'm a sucker for gadgets, but I've ordered one. Ordered the smaller Flyboy-III FLCM-FB3-B for $40 but be forewarned that shipping is a fixed $35. We'll see how well it works.

I've built a couple of DIY versions that are very similar to this design and they work quite well *sometimes*. The trick is get them perfectly balanced in all dimensions, and then the slightest thing can throw it off balance, for example zooming the lens, shifting strap, tilting LCD. The Flyboy looks interesting because it has what looks to be a decent micro-adjust for forward and back balance. Side-to-side might be tricky using only an offset of the lower weight. As I said, I will report back with my experiences when it comes in. I'll be using it with a V1 but can also test a compact and a D5100.
    Peter