Equipment options for 2014 World Cup in Brazil

CEBluecloudsCEBlueclouds Posts: 1,943Member
edited May 2014 in General Discussions
I am scheduled to travel to Brazil for the World Cup. Plan is spend about a week and see at least 2 first round group games. At various times I would be in Sao Paulo, Rio, Cuiaba and Curitiba; Rio would however be my base. I am presently trying to make up my mind on the equipment to take based on shooting options likely to be available.

My primary reason to travel is to watch soccer matches with a small group of people.

What I’m I likely to shoot? Subject to what kind of equipment I can take into the stadiums, would like to capture the excitement before, during and after the soccer matches and generally the sights of the various places I may be able to visit in Brazil.

Equipment to take? I plan to travel as light as possible so all my equipment must fit with my personal items in my 2 piece carry on-luggage; so weight is an issue. My thinking is that I take one general purpose (zoom) lens and one prime; plus my D800.

What are my options? In terms of Bodies; D800 and D300 (choice already made…D800). Lenses either the 24-70 f/2.8 or 24-120 f/4 (both Nikons) AND either the Sigma35 f/1.4 or Nikon 50and f/1.8. I may also decide to just go with a one lens solution. Would have liked to take my 70-200 f/2.8 but can’t see how I can based on my weight restrictions.

Since I would be moving around a lot, not presently sure what I can take into the stadiums, weight considerations…and also for security/safety reasons, I am also exploring a mirror less solution and have been looking closely at the Sony a7. For this to work I would have to buy the a7 with 55 f/1.8 and the 24-70 f/4 lenses (both zeiss for sony) …..bcos Sony kit lenses not well rated from available reviews….which would set me back well close to US$3k…….which I would rather not incur and presently not too keen on building/investing in a new camera system.

Any helpful thoughts would be appreciated please….
Post edited by CEBlueclouds on

Comments

• MsmotoMsmoto Posts: 5,398Moderator
    Olympus OM-D E-M1, M.Zuiko ED 75-300mm f4.8-6.7 II might be a good choice if weight, size is an issue.
    Msmoto, mod
  • CEBluecloudsCEBlueclouds Posts: 1,943Member
    @Msmoto...thanks.....the Olympus could be an alternate new system option...would have to pair your recommended lens with a fast prime....any further suggestions pls?
  • proudgeekproudgeek Posts: 1,422Member
    My POV: You're not shooting games, so don't worry about going long. You're there to shoot pictures of your friends and the fans (after all, that's the real show). I'd go with one lens; probably your 50 f/1.8 if you're set on bringing the D800. If you want the flexibility of a zoom, go with the 24-120. Keep it low profile. The less gear you have, the less likely you are to have something ripped off.
  • Vipmediastar_JZVipmediastar_JZ Posts: 1,708Member
    IF you plan on buying a new camera as you mention consider the DF. Its small and lighter compared to the d800. If so add that with the 70-200 on the scale and the 50 or 35 and you don't buy into a new system. I would pick the 35 as the 50 is close to 70 plus witht the 35 you can get more group shots from a short distance.

Othwerwise I would pick the D800 24-70 and 50 or 35 for sure as backup.

Congrats on the brazil trip. We will be watching at home and my daughter will be screaming GOOOOOOOOLLL like she does for every sport.
  • ThomasHortonThomasHorton Posts: 323Member
    Be on the look out for the Canon 7D mk II. It is rumoured to be down there too.
    Gear: Camera obscura with an optical device which transmits and refracts light.
    edited May 2014
    @proudgeek&;vipmediastar.... thanks for your comments/suggestions... just had a relook at my budget and with all my local travel/lodging cost...would need to keep enough for R&R....so I would have to make this trip work without any major new equipment. I would go with a 2 lens strategy; either the nikon pair of the 24-70 f2.8 & 50 f1.8 OR the nikon 24-120 f4 & sigma 35 f1.4 . I believe I should have the flexibility of a zoom...
    DSC_6028
    From the 2010 World Cup in South Africa......

• Golf007sdGolf007sd Posts: 2,840Moderator
    My recommendation: 24-70 2.8 & Sigma 35 1.4....done!

Looking for some cool images when you get back. Have fun and happy trails....cheers :D
    D4 & D7000 | Nikon Holy Trinity Set + 105 2.8 Mico + 200 F2 VR II | 300 2.8G VR II, 10.5 Fish-eye, 24 & 50 1.4G, 35 & 85 1.8G, 18-200 3.5-5.6 VR I SB-400 & 700 | TC 1.4E III, 1.7 & 2.0E III, 1.7 | Sigma 35 & 50 1.4 DG HSM | RRS Ballhead & Tripods Gear | Gitzo Monopod | Lowepro Gear | HDR via Promote Control System |
  • sevencrossingsevencrossing Posts: 2,800Member
    edited May 2014
    If you cant take your 70-200. The 24 -120 will give you some extra reach and has the advantage of VR

I would take the 35 f1.4 over the 50mm f 1.8
    Post edited by sevencrossing on
  • kenadamskenadams Posts: 222Member
    I'd think hard about what kind of pictures I'd want to take. Messi is great, but to be honest, haul a 70-200 around on the remote hope that you might catch a glimpse of someone famous' rearview... would you keep the picture if you didn't know the guy?

Frankly, I'd rather go crowd shooting. Take in the people, tourists and locals alike, how they celebrate together. I remember when the World Cup took place here, people from all countries, wearing their jerseys, were kicking a ball *everywhere*, even in the most crowded places, and everybody happily let them. You couldn't take 5 steps without running into someone from the other end of the world proudly wearing their colors and having fun with their respective opponents of the afternoon. *That's* the World Cup to me.
    @golf&;sevencrossing... Yes I do prefer the sigma 35 1.4 to the Nikon 50 1.8...but the d800+the 50 is much lower profile than with the 35 which is why I am considering it instead if the 35...for general street and action around me photos...
    Emailing: IMG_1446

@kenadamms...thanks and I do agree. What you describe is how I plan to shoot most of the time...
  • sevencrossingsevencrossing Posts: 2,800Member
    I had not realized the Sigma was so big, so yes I would go with the 50mm
    Because F mount wide angel lenses have to be retrofocus; I don't think there as anything compact. other than
    may be the AF Nikkor 28mm f/2.8D which, according to many reviews, does not seem to be a particularly crisp
  • Vipmediastar_JZVipmediastar_JZ Posts: 1,708Member
    edited June 2014
    Just wondering how did your trip is going/went?

Yesterday I was fortunate to capture some of the hype in Chicago. It was mostly a few street candids of the fans arriving at the city.
    I didn't make it to the park where the game was broadcasted but I felt the exictement of the fans.
    Hopefully I can get some more photos in the coming games.
    Chicago has a large Mexican community and When Mexico comes I try to make the games with the family however just like any other soccer game the fans get out of control.
    Here is an article of yesterdays game event

I'm going to try to attend some Chicago Fire soccer games this summer and hopefully photograph the games.
    If only I had Press pass.....
    Post edited by Vipmediastar_JZ on
  • PostmanPostman Posts: 59Member
    PitchBlack (I think) posted an album of Rome on here to illustrate why he only takes the 35 Siggy. I'd take that plus 24-120. The D800 is an obvious beast of a camera body so I wouldn't worry about the size difference between the 35 and 50.
    edited June 2014
    I did make it to Brazil. Spent a total of 8 nights and returned back home knackered last night to tons of work waiting for me. Visited/passed through the following cities, São Paulo, Rio, Curitiba, Porto Alegre and Cuiba; and watched 3 World Cup matches. I went along with my D800 and the 24-70 2.8 and the nikon 50mm 1.8 and as it turned out, I only used the 24-70. I generally only used my camera just before, during and just after the soccer matches. I did have a lot of fun and little sleep...most not captured on camera ;) Would post some pictures in a few days after I have taken care of some of the pile at work! Thanks for all the recommendations and advice by everyone...
    Sorry about England.
    edited June 2014
    @proudgeek....they were not good enough...same as Italy, Spain, etc...more surprises ahead......and luckily, I'm not English!
    Ah, I figured with knackered and all...
    DSC_6902
    Finally able to sort out my pictures and share some....don't think I took enough or many iconic pictures but I was there... :)
    DSC_6863
    Both pictures taken in Curitiba, Brazil
  • JonMcGuffinJonMcGuffin Posts: 312Member
    Keep 'em coming CEBlueclouds!
    one more....
    DSC_6959
    Match time in Curitiba....beer=soccer, soccer=beer...
    DSC_7212
    Porto Alegre stadium...
    Awesome. Although the Bosnians could probably have used a spelling lesson.