The next Game changer

2»

Comments

• henrik1963henrik1963 Posts: 567Member
    Digital has been a game changer.

The next game changer has allready happend - its called a smart phone. The smart phone will evolve into something even smarter. And an image sensor will only be one among many sensors in a smart device.

It may take some time for my Iphone to beat my D800 when it comes to image quality - but it will happen. Sure the Nikon Dxyz will print pictures the size of California - but who wants to print that big?
  • sevencrossingsevencrossing Posts: 2,800Member
    edited May 2014
    >It still all began with the quality of the reproduced image. That is why many talk about medium format systems, or why the Nikon 1 should have a larger sensor, why so many want FX. Megapixels, color depth, resolution, and dynamic range - all has to do with the reproduced image. Everything else just supports it.

I agree with nearly everything you say
    In addition IQ. Camera size ( not sensor size ) is still important
    I think the next game changing camera will be similar in size and weight to the Alfa 7S (a full frame camera lighter than a D3300)

Post edited by sevencrossing on
  • WestEndBoyWestEndBoy Posts: 1,456Member
    edited May 2014
    Digital has been a game changer.

The next game changer has allready happend - its called a smart phone. The smart phone will evolve into something even smarter. And an image sensor will only be one among many sensors in a smart device.

It may take some time for my Iphone to beat my D800 when it comes to image quality - but it will happen. Sure the Nikon Dxyz will print pictures the size of California - but who wants to print that big?
    That is not going to happen. Consider the physical limitations of lenses and sensors - sensors first. If a smartphone sensor captured 100% of every photon that fell on it, I doubt it would match an FX sensor or even a DX sensor. But if it could, it would not matter because the same advance would be available to FX sized sensors. I just doubt that sensor improvement has that much room left to improve in it due to limitations of physics, not technology.

And the lens. Consider the difference between a Zeiss and equivalent Nikon. That is a lot of expense for an improvement that the masses can't even perceive (though we can). This point is to illustrate that the physical limitations of lenses, while still mechanical, have practically been reached due to engineering and economic considerations. Significant improvements are available, but they won't be noticed by most and will certainly not be "game changing". If you want improvements in lens IQ, we will have to increase format size. An IPhone with my 85mm 1.4G attached is not going to sell.

The next game changer will likely be an integration of current technologies which is the type of game changer that the IPhone is (was). I would bet on the viewfinder and control interface evolving to a "google glass" type solution rather than IPhones besting or matching D800s (though maybe a Canon 5DMIII ). :)) :)) :))
    Post edited by WestEndBoy on
  • TaoTeJaredTaoTeJared Posts: 1,306Member
    On the size, I do find it a bit funny that some of the hottest cameras are the size of the Leica Ms and Nikon F type bodies. Size is a double edge sword. I love my D800 with grip when I'm working as it is comfortable to hold all day and my hands don't cramp. BUT it is dang heavy. At the same time I love my X100 since it is so small and light, it doesn't weigh me down. I am surprised we haven't moved to an all polymer body or something like a carbon fiber polymer mix. It is good enough for military guns so it is good enough for any other heavy duty use. I do like the designs where the added hand grips conform to the bodies and add front dials, etc.

Small sensors are limited by physics, but it's not as clear cut as some want to believe. They can overcome most limitations with exotic designs. Of course that takes quite a while to "shrink" it down and at a reasonable cost.

Smartphones have definitely changed photography, media, society in ways that have not been seen since the introduction of photography, motion pictures, and recorded sounds. Hell you can add computers, internet and telephone in there as well.

-------------
    Side bar - Iphone & lenses.

Look up Ladibird add on for Iphones - Something I will probably get.
    Also - iPro Lens System by Schneider

Then check out this Bentley commercial.

D800, D300, D50(ir converted), FujiX100, Canon G11, Olympus TG2. Nikon lenses - 24mm 2.8, 35mm 1.8, (5 in all)50mm, 60mm, 85mm 1.8, 105vr, 105 f2.5, 180mm 2.8, 70-200vr1, 24-120vr f4. Tokina 12-24mm, 16-28mm, 28-70mm (angenieux design), 300mm f2.8. Sigma 15mm fisheye. Voigtlander R2 (olive) & R2a, Voigt 35mm 2.5, Zeiss 50mm f/2, Leica 90mm f/4. I know I missed something...
    edited May 2014
    When the first Leicas came out I am sure some "real photographers" would say that a "small format" camera can never compete with a real camera - large format. Even today some swear by their $20K MF cameras.

But making a game changer = making cameras at an industrial scale - not making a few hand made "best possible" cameras.

Compare the number of Leicas made in 100 years to the number of smart Phone cameras sold last year!

For decades every household has had a pocket camera - be it film or digital - millions of albums with pictures telling the story of families.

A few "nerds" would buy a Leica or a Hasselblad. Today the "nerds" will buy a D800. Few will pay $10K for a D800 kit - only "nerds" will pay that much.

Compare what uncle Bob got out of his 1980 household camera to what little kids get out of their smart phone cameras! And last: Compare 8mm/16mm film cameras to smart phone videos.

Digital is a game changer. But there will always be a few "nerds" who is willing to drop $10K on the "best camera". Only problem is that fewer and fewer will be able to tell the difference between pictures coming out of a $1K and a $10K camera when used by normal people.
    Post edited by henrik1963 on
  • snakebunksnakebunk Posts: 993Member
    I think great cameras will be much less expensive. There will be mirrorless cameras with top specs for a few hundred dollars. There will also be less point to use changeble lenses and there will be more compact cameras, basically lenses that are sold with a specially designed camera.
    edited May 2014

A few "nerds" would buy a Leica .......
    #

With the greatest respect

I don't think any of the following, can be classed as Nerds
    Imogen Cunningham
    Yousuf Ousuf Karsh
    Henri Cartier Bresson
    Robert Capa
    Helmut Newton
    say what you like about our Queen, Elizabeth the second; she is not a nerd

Sevencrossing: I should have qualified - unless you are pro or rich :-)
  • FritzFritz Posts: 140Member
    How about light enhancement. The so called hybrid light intensifying and infrared combined systems already display a full tonal range black and white rather than a green image and the resolution is good enough to distinguish facial features at 1000 meters. There is rumored to be a system under development that renders color images with a 3D effect. This technology is in its infancy. These devices are now no bigger than a mid range telephoto lens.
  • jonnyapplejonnyapple Posts: 131Moderator
    HC Bresson is one that interests me from your list, there, @sevencrossing. I remember hearing he shot with his leica and one lens—a true advocate for leg zoom.

I think we're already living that dream, @snakebunk. This month I bought an open-box Sony NEX-F3 for my wife for $150. Unbelievable. I'll bet even Henri C B would be pleased with that little camera (would definitely whine about the lack of viewfinder, though).
    CC is welcome. DC is also welcome when I deserve it.
    edited May 2014
    HC Bresson is one that interests me from your list, there, @sevencrossing. I remember hearing he shot with his leica and one lens ) .
    A Collapsible 50mm SUMMICRON-M f/2

For a long time, this was the only lens I owed. I used on my Leica f
    I don't know if I was a nerd, I don't think the word existed in the 60s

• MsmotoMsmoto Posts: 5,398Moderator
    OMG… my Canon 7 and f/2 Summicron ….. shot anything and everything…..

My idea as to what killed the Speed Graphic….. or any sheet film camera…. the FPS was not so good when one had to pull a slide, expose the film, reinsert the slide, flip the holder, pull the slide, expose the film, reinsert the slide then change holders…..

As to owning a Leica…. I would buy the monochrome model and go with either a 50mm or 35mm f/1.4 lens and probably be very happy…… if I could afford one. Yes, there have been many "game changers" but the truth will always hold that the person behind the camera will determine the image captured.
    Msmoto, mod
    Going from glass plates => sheet film => roll film => digital sensors = stunning image quality in the hands of everyone at a low price. But I agree with Msmoto it takes great skill to make stunning pictures.
    edited May 2014
    My idea as to what killed the Speed Graphic….. or any sheet film camera…. the FPS was not so good .
    Eadweard Muybridge had a solution
    and that really was a game changer

• kanuckkanuck Posts: 1,300Member
    I kind of felt that we have begun to see the next "big thing" in photography with the removal of the mirror and full frame bodies getting smaller and smaller. I really like how the noise, particularly in colors is improving more and more as well. All this resolution I think is unnecessary though and this is coming from a D800e shooter. I think the real sweet spot still is 16-18mp. Absolutely love Leica M rangefinders as well by the way :)
  • MsmotoMsmoto Posts: 5,398Moderator
    edited June 2014
    Eadweard Muybridge certainly understood the eye/brain visual perception issues of being limited to about 12 frames per second and above this one sees a "continuous" image, and the perception of motion if they are in a sequence. Of course, the resolution of moving images will not be adequate for high quality static images….

But, the next big game changer will still be the professional quality mirrorless body accepting all our current Nikon F mount lenses. And, possibly an computer algorithm based editing method which allows specific criteria to be programmed into the camera body so it can dump 90% of the images which do not meet the criteria. Then, shooting 60 FPS, we might see only those which are sharp, positioned in the frame properly, or other pre set parameters. I believe in camera processing of even a RAW image will be quite easy once this is designed and implemented.
    Post edited by Msmoto on
    Msmoto, mod
  • KnockKnockKnockKnock Posts: 398Member
    Hmmm. In order of real to fantastic...

Hybrid and contrast-detect auto-focus I think could eventually replace phase-detect systems. That would solve a large chunk of real-world focus issues. Ditto the viewfinder as people are saying. Then the wild wild west I think are light field possibilities à la Lytro.
    D7100, D60, 35mm f/1.8 DX, 50mm f/1.4, 18-105mm DX, 18-55mm VR II, Sony RX-100 ii
  • PB_PMPB_PM Posts: 4,494Member
    edited June 2014
    @KnockKnock Already been done. There are already hybrid AF systems in the Nikon 1 system cameras, the Olympus EM-1, Panasonic GH4, Fuji's newer X mount bodies and the Sony A7.
    Post edited by PB_PM on
    If I take a good photo it's not my camera's fault.
    Lots of new Cameras from Nikon and others, since I started this thread, but no hint of any game changers