Mounting Large/Very Large Prints

2»

Comments

• framerframer Posts: 491Member
    The people that selected their computer systems over the years are bureaucrates. Your archivist just has to live with the results.

framer
  • sevencrossingsevencrossing Posts: 2,800Member
    The people that selected their computer systems
    ???
    what computer system ?

• DaveyJDaveyJ Posts: 1,090Member
    edited September 2015
    I have printed hundreds of large prints in the size of 2ftx6ft, to 4 ft x 12 ft. I also have printed a number to less panoramic than those.....most often the size was about 8 ft. x 12 ft. Having done a lot of that work years ago I started just going to ABC Photo and Imaging in Manassas, Virginia. They are great and will mount them anyway you want. Gatorfoam is OK, Gatorboard is better. I used to frame a lot and we still can make you a wood frame using Cherry up to 65 foot long......most common big size is 9 foot long.....

Still the Photo mounting needs to be done and done well. That is where ABC PHOTO AND IMAGING COMES IN. I HAVE USED MANY LABS TO PRINT AND MOUNT, HOLLAND PHOTO, MEISEL PHOTOCHROME, AND MANY OTHERS. ABC Photo and Imaging is easily the BEST!!!! They usually do your prints on a Lightjet 5000 or a newer digital rig even if you are working with a neg or print up to at least 8x10.

I used to run an add for years on this stuff. Anymore I just put my images on a Samsung 5K and up screen and totally omit the printing and mounting. Anyway you do it very large display or printing costs some $$$$$. I have had many prints and Durtrans, etc. in very large displays..... GO to Times Square in NYC......that was the league I have played in. Still have images from those days on 5K screen shows. The images better be pretty compelling to use this big a surface. After a while you run out of wall space!
    Post edited by DaveyJ on